Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 10433 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2021, 10:32:19 AM »
Gustard is lowering the playing budget and average age at Quins, so it is inevitable some of the older, big-earning players like Brown will be leaving. Smith is a young talent for sure, but by all accounts on a massive contract. He's still very young, and improving as a player. I'd select him over Umaga.

Not for Wasps I wouldn't - anywhere else doesn't matter.
Let me tell you something cucumber

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2021, 10:36:29 AM »
Anyway..... quite a few rugby pages are saying there are some strange stories out there atm.

E.g. Watson to Quins? Not sure that makes a lot of sense....

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2021, 10:37:32 AM »
Anyway..... quite a few rugby pages are saying there are some strange stories out there atm.

E.g. Watson to Quins? Not sure that makes a lot of sense....

It does when you consider that Brown is off, likely to Falcons.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2021, 10:49:13 AM »
i expect I'm wrong but I always get the feeling that Smith will implode before he is much older, or do a Wadey.  I much prefer Umaga and think he will blossom and mature into a more rounded and capable player than Smith.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2021, 10:55:24 AM »
i expect I'm wrong but I always get the feeling that Smith will implode before he is much older, or do a Wadey.  I much prefer Umaga and think he will blossom and mature into a more rounded and capable player than Smith.

I'm still undecided on Smith. As an individual player he's quite simply breath taking. He's also very good with deciding when to put boot to ball and which kick to use. Despite all that, I still question if his passing game is top level for a 10.

I wonder if I'd prefer to see him at 15 to be honest.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2021, 11:08:23 AM »
That's interesting, I've never really noticed his passing before

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2021, 11:17:30 AM »
That's interesting, I've never really noticed his passing before

I just don't remember seeing the little no-look pull backs, tip ons etc that you see from the real top level 10s. Nothing technically wrong with his passing at all etc, it's just the final little touches from those amazing 10s that I don't really think I've been seeing.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2021, 11:28:01 AM »
I wonder if there's been a bit of a problem with Nick Evans moving in to coaching and some of the older players not taking to it too well? I don't think Nick would be the problem but it is something some senior players are known to have problems with at all clubs where this happens.

Nigel Med

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2021, 12:17:12 PM »
I wonder if there's been a bit of a problem with Nick Evans moving in to coaching and some of the older players not taking to it too well? I don't think Nick would be the problem but it is something some senior players are known to have problems with at all clubs where this happens.
I'm struggling to remember ANY cases where a much respected player has moved to a senior coach at his own club and made a success of it. It's not working well for Hooper at Bath. Really didn't go well for Murphy at Tigers. It's so often a recipe for tarnishing the reputation of a much loved player. Did Baxter immediately become head coach on retiring from playing or gradually get moved up the pecking order? In any case, he became head coach in the Championship which doesn't carry the same pressures as the Premiership. Any other examples I have overlooked?

Regarding Smith, no questioning his outstanding individual skill so his show reel looks very impressive, but I'm not convinced that he is better at Umaga at running a game. Jacob is young and still learning so there'll be the occasional brain fart and off game but I'd much rather have him in a Wasps shirt than Smith looking to the future.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2021, 12:40:27 PM »
I'm struggling to remember ANY cases where a much respected player has moved to a senior coach at his own club and made a success of it. It's not working well for Hooper at Bath. Really didn't go well for Murphy at Tigers. It's so often a recipe for tarnishing the reputation of a much loved player. Did Baxter immediately become head coach on retiring from playing or gradually get moved up the pecking order? In any case, he became head coach in the Championship which doesn't carry the same pressures as the Premiership. Any other examples I have overlooked?

Regarding Smith, no questioning his outstanding individual skill so his show reel looks very impressive, but I'm not convinced that he is better at Umaga at running a game. Jacob is young and still learning so there'll be the occasional brain fart and off game but I'd much rather have him in a Wasps shirt than Smith looking to the future.

Smith is younger, so if Jacob has time, so does Smith :D. However I do enjoy the way Umaga plays a bit more, but perhaps that's how Wasps play. I'd certainly not be upset if Smith decided to move to Wasps for small salary :D.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2021, 01:21:44 PM »
The biggest difference for me is that Smith sits quite deep (similar to Sopoaga) and tries to control through kicking more. Umaga plays much flatter to the line which definitely suits us better.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2021, 02:41:57 PM »
I actually think Atkinson could leapfrog Jacob before too long

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2021, 02:45:08 PM »
I actually think Atkinson could leapfrog Jacob before too long

I'd like to see Atkinson at fullback actually. He's fearless, no worries about him not committing to last ditch tackles. We're going to struggle to keep hold of both of them, but I desperately hope we do.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2021, 03:38:27 PM »
I’d take Umaga over Smith every time. Charlie in a year’s time could be even better.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2021, 03:42:45 PM »
Charlie's problem is he runs into Farrell's shoulder. He needs to cure that fault.  :)
Let me tell you something cucumber