Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 10432 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2021, 12:27:11 PM »
That's this season's stats.

Zuzu's relations with Wasps coaches is purely presumption on my sources part. I gather he's had no contact with the Georgian Rugby Union since he was told he wouldn't be considered for the RWC. That said I get the impression that Lee's ethos is work hard and you'll get selected, play well and you'll stay in the starting line up, so when combined with the reason why Zuzu isn't in the Georgian squad any more it does make sense.

Harris has just opened a gym in Leamington Spa, so I'd be surprised if he's planning to leave any time soon.

Thanks for that appreciated.
Let me tell you something cucumber

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2021, 12:52:08 PM »
Zac Nearchou?

That's the guy. Perhaps he'll get promoted?

I think it was Jordan Cordice in NZ

Zac Nearchou was in Italy.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2021, 12:53:56 PM »
Very informative thread;  thank you all.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2021, 01:23:11 PM »
I'd be sorry to see TT go, I've always been a big fan of his since he first emerged at Sale. Very unlucky to miss out on caps with Eng when there was an opening but injury struck. Makes sense if he leaves though.

JTA has won me over recently with his play around the pitch. His scrummaging has improved too but isn't at Brookes' level. It takes a very good LH to get the better of Brookes. The worry for me is that when we have a solid scrum as a base then we can compete with any team. Not having that and teams can get a route into us. If I was Lee I'd pool Brookes and ZZ's wages and try to tempt Stuart back. Did I also see Harry Williams name mentioned somewhere or have I imagined that?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2021, 02:03:15 PM »
Personally, I've never been a great fan of Stuart. But, after his brain dead penalty against us on Friday, I wouldn't want to see him ever back in the black and gold. He looked smug after it as well.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2021, 02:16:52 PM »
Re. Tommy. If Alfie and Gabriel Oghre are the future, there's going to come a time when either he or Cruse leave. Tommy is solid but not spectacular, but is probably on a significantly higher salary. It makes sense.

Re. Brookes. Brookes stats tell an interesting story. 19 carries for 10 metres made compared to 23 carries for 42 metres by Jeff. 21/27 tackle completion compared to 27/30 by Jeff. 345 minutes played compared to 295 by Jeff. When Brookes has a good game he is very good, but other times he can be a bit lazy. I think how disappointed I'd be if he goes depends on who we replace him with. Nearchou may be the long term first choice tight head, but I'm not sure next season we'd have enough depth relying on him, Alo and Owlett to act as Jeff's back up.

Re. Zuzu. Almost certainly off and not overrun with offers according to my source in Tbilisi. Apparently he upset the Georgian selectors with his attitude to training, preferring to lift weights and practice his place kicking with the backs then work on his rucking and mauling skills. They're under the impression he has upset our coaching team in the same way, hence why he's firmly 4th choice. They also reckon he is on more than Chesty, West and Harris combined.

Interesting to hear, especially about Zuzu.

Bobby Bridge reported that ZZ was signed when we were desperate for a first choice loosehead - and they had to pay big bucks.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2021, 02:18:30 PM »
Re. Tommy. If Alfie and Gabriel Oghre are the future, there's going to come a time when either he or Cruse leave. Tommy is solid but not spectacular, but is probably on a significantly higher salary. It makes sense.

Re. Brookes. Brookes stats tell an interesting story. 19 carries for 10 metres made compared to 23 carries for 42 metres by Jeff. 21/27 tackle completion compared to 27/30 by Jeff. 345 minutes played compared to 295 by Jeff. When Brookes has a good game he is very good, but other times he can be a bit lazy. I think how disappointed I'd be if he goes depends on who we replace him with. Nearchou may be the long term first choice tight head, but I'm not sure next season we'd have enough depth relying on him, Alo and Owlett to act as Jeff's back up.

Re. Zuzu. Almost certainly off and not overrun with offers according to my source in Tbilisi. Apparently he upset the Georgian selectors with his attitude to training, preferring to lift weights and practice his place kicking with the backs then work on his rucking and mauling skills. They're under the impression he has upset our coaching team in the same way, hence why he's firmly 4th choice. They also reckon he is on more than Chesty, West and Harris combined.

Interesting to hear, especially about Zuzu.

Bobby Bridge reported that ZZ was signed when we were desperate for a first choice loosehead - and they had to pay big bucks.

Didn't know that either!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2021, 02:23:07 PM »
Personally, I've never been a great fan of Stuart. But, after his brain dead penalty against us on Friday, I wouldn't want to see him ever back in the black and gold. He looked smug after it as well.

Can I agree with that. Didn't cover himself in glory when leaving.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2021, 02:34:31 PM »

Stuart has the potential to be England’s first choice TH for a number of years. To do what he is doing at his age is remarkable. You can’t complain that he left to join his favourite club (?) and work with England’s scrum coach.
Like Brookes he is the anchor at scrum time and would be a step up.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2021, 02:44:38 PM »
Zac is another I hadn't thought of, definitely another one to soften the blow of losing Brookes.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2021, 03:14:16 PM »
Jordan Cordice is another one to watch at TH. Is/has been in NZ under Leon's tutelage.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2021, 03:53:53 PM »
Nearchou could definitely come in as 4th choice, but is still extremely young (Same age as Barbeary), Cordice a year younger, they will both take some time to step up.
The next question is whether JTA, Alo and Owlett are good enough to be 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice for us or whether we would need another first choice in especially if JTA is off after next year

Both Brookes and TT will be huge losses, however we have already shown we can live without ZuZu

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2021, 04:30:56 PM »
I agree about zuzu.
We signed him when we had real problems at LH

From memory, McIntyre was struggling with concussions.
West was a hell of a prospect but still young.
I think Harris was out for a bit too

We needed a quality loose head and it doesn't surprise me that we maybe paid over the odds for someone

Quite frankly, zuzu has been good for us so it was with it in my opinion

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2021, 04:37:40 PM »

I'll also add that probably only McIntyre is on a big salary.

We signed Ben Harris initially as emergency loan from Newcastle (?), and then it was made permanent the following season.

Tom West is probably in his first senior contract

I suspect neither are on big money.
Chesty has been around ages so probably earns more, but again, probably isn't mega bucks.

Arguably, they should all be earning a lot more - particularly West given the way he's progressing

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2021, 05:13:12 PM »

Stuart has the potential to be England’s first choice TH for a number of years. To do what he is doing at his age is remarkable. You can’t complain that he left to join his favourite club (?) and work with England’s scrum coach.
Like Brookes he is the anchor at scrum time and would be a step up.

I've never rated Stuart as much of a scrummaging prop. Suits Eddie and his hybrids I suppose.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!