Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Euros Will Not Be Abandoned  (Read 3270 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Euros Will Not Be Abandoned
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2021, 05:43:36 PM »
The big question is still not answered. When will a definitive answer be announced? The clubs need to know so that they plan for the next two weeks.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Re: Euros Will Not Be Abandoned - Now Suspended
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2021, 05:46:44 PM »
Just announced - suspended
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 05:48:45 PM by RogerE »

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2021, 05:47:10 PM »
Now answered. Euros suspended.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2021, 05:52:30 PM »
How very French.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2021, 05:57:53 PM »
Heineken Champions Cup and European Challenge Cup suspended temporarily - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55617958
Let me tell you something cucumber

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2021, 06:29:56 PM »
Ok thats the European games suspended,  hopefully we will hear from PRL tomorrow that Premiership games will be brought forward a couple of weeks.

With lockdown and January being a slow, boring month it will be unbearable without Rugby matches to watch  too.

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2021, 07:02:06 PM »

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2021, 12:25:24 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55617958

To be completed later - stupid methinks. Play now or cancel the lot. Play without the French!

I never post on either forum any more. Mainly I don't want to pick forum fights anymore! But I'm going to break my posting duck. Not in an attempt to single out this post, but it's one of a few posts I've seen on recent subjects around postponing competitions where there's a throwaway line of 'just cancel it'. At least one in another thread, from another poster, around the Lions, and I think it's worth a counter-view.

My response would be - it's your passion. It's many, many people's livelihood. If you cancel a tournament or tour, thousands of individuals lose money. Not Unions, players or corporations. From the programme vendors to local F&B businesses to stadium support staff, to those working within unions, broadcasters corporations to deliver these events, sponsorships and keep the money pumping into the sport. And yes, that includes the French programme sellers who have everything to lose and no stake in the decision-making if we played without the French.

Cancelling the ECC, 6 Nations or Lions Tour will bring financial hardship to hundreds if not thousands of people who are entirely reliant on these tournaments going ahead in some form. The way they end up being delivered may not be perfect, and they may not be what purist fans would want (and I totally get that). But if it keeps money going into the pockets that need it then anything is better than cancellation.

I thought Mullins made this point well in the Quins game in response to the question about a need for an announcer in an empty stadium. If it means he or she gets paid, it's a good thing.

No further posting. I hope this isn't taken either as a personal dig, or worse as trolling but as a healthy counter-debate from a different viewpoint.

Cheers. Let's hope we get some rugby to watch, and some continued Wasps momentum this coming weekend, whatever rugby that might be!

I wonder if any of us consider players might pipe up and log onto forums..

.. Number 12.. hmmm

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2021, 09:07:14 AM »
What I'm struggling with is the distinction between one French team refusing to play versus all of them refusing. Toulon were docked the points v Scarlets. Why do they all not forfeit in the same way? Why have all cancelled games not had the opportunity to "postpone".
Number 12 - take your point about cancelling not being taken for granted in terms of income. I am in favour of the Lions being cancelled. In terms of the money a massive chunk of that is dependent on fans attending. Given the two participants this is unlikely. Also, from a scheduling, player welfare point of view it's crazy to do it. A scenario this two week hiatus has just compounded.
Also, I've never found that a counter point of view is regarded as an argument here so keep posting!