Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 9684 times)

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2021, 04:07:41 PM »
I wonder if there's been a bit of a problem with Nick Evans moving in to coaching and some of the older players not taking to it too well? I don't think Nick would be the problem but it is something some senior players are known to have problems with at all clubs where this happens.
I'm struggling to remember ANY cases where a much respected player has moved to a senior coach at his own club and made a success of it. It's not working well for Hooper at Bath. Really didn't go well for Murphy at Tigers. It's so often a recipe for tarnishing the reputation of a much loved player. Did Baxter immediately become head coach on retiring from playing or gradually get moved up the pecking order? In any case, he became head coach in the Championship which doesn't carry the same pressures as the Premiership. Any other examples I have overlooked?

Regarding Smith, no questioning his outstanding individual skill so his show reel looks very impressive, but I'm not convinced that he is better at Umaga at running a game. Jacob is young and still learning so there'll be the occasional brain fart and off game but I'd much rather have him in a Wasps shirt than Smith looking to the future.

Deano

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2021, 04:10:53 PM »
I wonder if there's been a bit of a problem with Nick Evans moving in to coaching and some of the older players not taking to it too well? I don't think Nick would be the problem but it is something some senior players are known to have problems with at all clubs where this happens.
I'm struggling to remember ANY cases where a much respected player has moved to a senior coach at his own club and made a success of it. It's not working well for Hooper at Bath. Really didn't go well for Murphy at Tigers. It's so often a recipe for tarnishing the reputation of a much loved player. Did Baxter immediately become head coach on retiring from playing or gradually get moved up the pecking order? In any case, he became head coach in the Championship which doesn't carry the same pressures as the Premiership. Any other examples I have overlooked?

Regarding Smith, no questioning his outstanding individual skill so his show reel looks very impressive, but I'm not convinced that he is better at Umaga at running a game. Jacob is young and still learning so there'll be the occasional brain fart and off game but I'd much rather have him in a Wasps shirt than Smith looking to the future.

Deano

Cockerill.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2021, 06:15:25 PM »

Did Easter move up at Quins too?