Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Eddie to name 28 man squad for 6 Nations  (Read 3887 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Eddie to name 28 man squad for 6 Nations
« on: January 15, 2021, 03:55:42 PM »
Once he has named the squad, they will not be allowed back to their clubs. (I guess COVID bubble)

Just hope he does not nick too many of our players.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Eddie to name 28 man squad for 6 Nations
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 04:03:28 PM »
Let's hope common sense prevails and it is called off.

We could lose Launch, Dan, Jack, Will and Matteo plus potentially Paolo. Big hit for longish period for no real purpose.
Let me tell you something cucumber

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 05:09:18 PM »

We could lose Launch, Dan, Jack, Will and Matteo plus potentially Paolo. Big hit for longish period for no real purpose.

Is the suggestion for it to be called off in favour of continuing English league but cancelling Europe and six nations?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 05:35:40 PM »
It won't be the 6n if France do not play the teams on this side of the Channel.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 05:42:19 PM »

Is the suggestion for it to be called off in favour of continuing English league but cancelling Europe and six nations?

My comment is based on the fact I couldn't give a monkeys about the 6N normally but in the current situation cross-border games appear to be a mild form of insanity. Cancel or postpone (until the summer instead of the Lions) and let our players play in league matches - if we re-start after the two week break.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 06:00:40 PM »

My comment is based on the fact I couldn't give a monkeys about the 6N normally but in the current situation cross-border games appear to be a mild form of insanity. Cancel or postpone (until the summer instead of the Lions) and let our players play in league matches - if we re-start after the two week break.

Financially and as a shop window the game needs the 6N this year more than ever,  and a lot more than it needs the Lions tour.

I would accept pushing it in to summer and trying to maintain the integrity of the league by ensuring clubs have the fullest squads available if they get some Covid isolations.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 08:37:17 PM »
So after he names them next week they don't play for us against Quins. No wonder Quins didn't want to bring the game forward.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 09:15:24 PM »
A 28 man squad for potentially 5 games doesn't seem alot as each game squad is 23, need to be a whole front row spare in that number as well you would expect so doesn't leave much room for new faces I would think, the players who are usually introduced to the set up then released back e.g. Umaga, Willis?

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 10:12:51 PM »
A 28 man squad for potentially 5 games doesn't seem alot as each game squad is 23, need to be a whole front row spare in that number as well you would expect so doesn't leave much room for new faces I would think, the players who are usually introduced to the set up then released back e.g. Umaga, Willis?
I think the idea is that EJ can pick 28 and they will be in a bubble of their own with no release back.
Others may go in for injury cover.

So chances are we won’t see players selected to experience England set up, unless EJ is seriously considering using them. Chances are Umaga won’t be taken from us.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 10:16:12 PM »
This was Eddie's last 23 :

Elliot Daly; Anthony Watson, Henry Slade, Owen Farrell (captain), Jonny May; George Ford, Ben Youngs; Mako Vunipola, Jamie George, Kyle Sinckler, Maro Itoje, Joe Launchbury, Tom Curry, Sam Underhill, Billy Vunipola.

Replacements: Luke Cowan-Dickie, Ellis Genge, Will Stuart, Jonny Hill, Ben Earl, Dan Robson, Max Malins, Joe Marchant.

Sinckler not available for the opener, but I guess that Eddie will keep in the squad.

If he goes with that 23, who else would be added? Jack? Ben Earl? +++.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 10:27:51 PM »
Won’t even be able to do a 15 v 15 training match - unless coaches join in?

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 08:00:34 AM »
This was Eddie's last 23 :

Elliot Daly; Anthony Watson, Henry Slade, Owen Farrell (captain), Jonny May; George Ford, Ben Youngs; Mako Vunipola, Jamie George, Kyle Sinckler, Maro Itoje, Joe Launchbury, Tom Curry, Sam Underhill, Billy Vunipola.

Replacements: Luke Cowan-Dickie, Ellis Genge, Will Stuart, Jonny Hill, Ben Earl, Dan Robson, Max Malins, Joe Marchant.

Sinckler not available for the opener, but I guess that Eddie will keep in the squad.

If he goes with that 23, who else would be added? Jack? Ben Earl? +++.

Probably another entire afront row, then maybe someone along courtney lawes lines to cover second row / back row, plenty of flexibility in backs already but maybe another 9.
As mentioned previously it might depend how quickly any replacement can enter the bubble and be available, dies he have to have cover for any late injury in 28 or can he bring it in.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 10:45:36 AM »
Could be quite a problem to bring someone in as injury cover . Best scenario would be someone who hasn’t been used by their club or who has played but both teams have not had a COVID case for two weeks. Might lead to an interesting England debut for someone

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 10:57:53 AM »
Could be quite a problem to bring someone in as injury cover . Best scenario would be someone who hasn’t been used by their club or who has played but both teams have not had a COVID case for two weeks. Might lead to an interesting England debut for someone

Or just use another EA.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 11:18:31 AM »

Or just use another EA.

True forgotten about them