Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Team against Wuss?  (Read 5795 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Team against Wuss?
« on: September 06, 2017, 07:31:25 AM »
As mentioned in the other thread, Wuss didn't look awful in their game against Falcons.  I'd expect a win, and as it's Wasps, I'd expect 4+ tries, but this isn't a walkover.

I think the same team, but perhaps some healthy backrow options? Not sure anyone else will be out with injury from Saturday.

As always the 12 shirt is a question as well, I don't think this is a game we need Gopps boot for, and JdJ wasn't as bad as I first thought, might be a chance to start putting Gaby at 12, to build what I think will be our longterm 10/12 partnership.  I'd not be upset with any of the combo's in the midfield, but feel Cips at 10 is required.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Team against Wuss?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 09:53:21 AM »
When's Elliot back?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 10:01:29 AM »
No idea, but seeing as he played all 3 tests, I'd probably guess he'll get 2-3 games off at least.  Seen interviews with him in the kit, so at least he's here!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 11:42:32 AM »
He was at the game on Saturday. I had a brief chat with him afterwards. He said he was enjoying having a bit of a break.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 12:41:49 PM »
I could be wrong, but I think both Haskell and Daly are back for the Quins game.

I am hoping that Dai can field a 'more of the same' side for the Wuss game. If Daly IS back for Quins, I am hoping/expecting that Gaby will move to 12, bumping Gopperth to the bench (the latter is not what I would want, but it is the consequence). I wonder if Dai will do that for the Wuss match, and Juan de Jongh at 13?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 01:07:31 PM »
As mentioned in the other thread, Wuss didn't look awful in their game against Falcons.  I'd expect a win, and as it's Wasps, I'd expect 4+ tries, but this isn't a walkover.

I think the same team, but perhaps some healthy backrow options? Not sure anyone else will be out with injury from Saturday.

As always the 12 shirt is a question as well, I don't think this is a game we need Gopps boot for, and JdJ wasn't as bad as I first thought, might be a chance to start putting Gaby at 12, to build what I think will be our longterm 10/12 partnership.  I'd not be upset with any of the combo's in the midfield, but feel Cips at 10 is required.

Backrow last season meant too many games for too few players - due to injuries and call ups. I understand Thomas will be available this weekend and I am hoping Guy too. I'd start TY is fit and have Ashley on the bench. I would hope Armitage gets some game time, real prospect. Back three to start the same, ditto midfield. BUT if we do get ahead, it would be nice for the team not to start playing "7's" when the bench comes on! I think game management will ave been writ large on the whiteboard on Monday morning!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 01:10:03 PM »
I don't think we were playing 7s, we turned off a bit, and Sale started attacking our weak channels better.  As I mentioned, instead of going through Cips a huge amount, it started going through Gaby and WLR a lot at first receiver.  WLR definitely started trying for the miracle play, think he was having fun though :D.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 05:43:14 PM »
I don't think we were playing 7s, we turned off a bit, and Sale started attacking our weak channels better.  As I mentioned, instead of going through Cips a huge amount, it started going through Gaby and WLR a lot at first receiver.  WLR definitely started trying for the miracle play, think he was having fun though :D.

Fair call, it was more a"turn of phrase" I watched the game twice and instead of kicking the ball tactically, to consolidate the position and give the new players a moment, it did get all a bit loose - it was fun, but not a long way from going pear shaped. I still think "game management" will be "discussed" this week!

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 06:12:29 PM »
I see that Dai has responded to you Mike, quoted in the CET, but here is what he has said today:

"I do feel sorry for our defence coach Phil Blake, because the last thing you want to do is concede five tries and 35 points.

"But when you look at them, one was a charge down of Dan Robson’s kick, which no defence coach can protect against, and the fourth try was an offload from Willie le Roux that went to ground then four passes down the wing.

"Teams will score tries against us, but we create ourselves problems, and when we lose the ball, our transition from attack to defence hasn’t been good enough.

"People think we’ve got this care-free, play-from-anywhere attitude - I promise we haven’t. Although it may look like that on occasions, you might also have seen me falling down the stands!

"We want to score tries and play with the ball in hand, that hasn’t changed, but we also realise that we can’t leak as many points as we have done.

"We scored more tries, beat more defenders and made more yards than anybody last year, so we’re not going to change a hell of a lot.

"We’re going to change little things in what we do. I thought in some of the big games last year we were a little bit predictable, so we’ll look at more change-in-direction plays rather than going the same way all the time.

"When you’re playing the best teams, some things that work against, with all due respect, the lesser teams, don’t work, so we’ve tinkered a little bit with our plays - but not too much because if it’s not broke, don’t fix it.

"When we get to the big games, we aren’t going to score 50 points, so we have to make sure that teams don’t score 35 points against us.

"We don’t want to stop playing, we just have to stamp out doing silly things in the wrong areas.

"That’s not to say we won’t attack from deep or try things, it’s just cutting away the stuff we shouldn’t try, the miracle balls and forcing things, because that’s when we end up causing ourselves problems.

"We’re certainly not going to go away from our attacking philosophy. If it isn’t on we’ll look for exits, but we’ll look to play first - that’s not going to change at all."

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 08:52:24 PM »
I see that Dai has responded to you Mike, quoted in the CET, but here is what he has said today:

"We don’t want to stop playing, we just have to stamp out doing silly things in the wrong areas.

"That’s not to say we won’t attack from deep or try things, it’s just cutting away the stuff we shouldn’t try, the miracle balls and forcing things, because that’s when we end up causing ourselves problems.

"We’re certainly not going to go away from our attacking philosophy. If it isn’t on we’ll look for exits, but we’ll look to play first - that’s not going to change at all."

I think that sums up what I was trying to say much better than I managed !

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 06:49:58 AM »
I see that Dai has confirmed that Guy Thompson picked up a groin strain against Connacht, and might not be ready for the Wuss game, leaving the back 3 as they were for the Sharks game. So, that's one down, but Guy should be back for the Quins game. YY tore his calf and he’s still two weeks away from fitness (so not available until the Exeter game at least), James Gaskell is out for at least three weeks (so might be back for the Sarries game) after also tearing a calf and James Haskell is also about three weeks away with his finger injury (so not back until maybe Bath, more likely the Sarries game).

Marcus Garratt has a shoulder injury and it looks like it might be bad. again looking like the Sarries game before he is back, and poor old Sam Jones is still not recovered; personally I think it will be months yet (after the Euro games).

Who says we have plenty of back 3 players? All we have is a hospital ward full of them.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 07:01:57 AM »
If we can still put out a backrow of Johnson, Reider, Hughes and Willis on the bench, with all those injuries, I'd say we have plenty :D

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 07:25:11 AM »
Wow, our back row didn't learn how avoid injury from Mr Smith!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 10:46:48 AM »
I spent a bit of time watching Juan and Simmo warming up together at the Sale game, and if Juan can bring any of the incredible ball skills he has to bear in a match he will be something to see.

That being said I think Gabi is increbible, and once he has got his head round the fact that he is always potentially going to be on the end of a pass he will be unstoppable.  I think he was rightly man of the match and that was with bouncing the ball off his face a couple of times instead of catching it.

The only thing I'd do differently is to maybe have Thompson on the bench, Everyone did very well and I'd say they deserve their place in the team.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 10:52:10 AM »
I think Willis is a coming man, even in his short time on the pitch he managed to win a turnover (albeit it went back to a penalty from earlier), that turnover presence is essential for Wasps I feel.  I'd rather let Thompson rest, if he's fit, perhaps rest Myall, and have 2 backrow on the bench.