Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps transfer rumours and news  (Read 2088 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Wasps transfer rumours and news
« on: January 17, 2021, 09:28:12 AM »
Ben Vellacott talks, ex-Saracens prop to join, Paolo Odogwu's 'conversations'

Bobby Bridge reports:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/rugby-rumours-and-transfer-news-19641630
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps transfer rumours and news
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 11:47:34 AM »
I think salary cap reductions and ongoing financial constraints with lack of crowds will drive our recruitment strategy.

Although we’re making some educated guesses on departures and their likely salaries, we may not replace like for like or use up all of that budget (and other clubs may we’ll be the same, so we wouldn’t fall behind)?

I would be gutted to lose Velllacott as although we haven’t seen much of him, there is a lot of hype around him from those in the know (ex players). It’s great to see Porter coming through from the academy, but is he at a level yet that will push Robson for selection as opposed to just rotation?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 11:58:27 AM »
Alex Sanderson talking to TT apparently
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 12:24:53 PM »

I must admit that if it came down to a choice between TT and TC, then TC probably shades it for me. Certainly, from what we have seen from him this season.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 12:39:27 PM »

I must admit that if it came down to a choice between TT and TC, then TC probably shades it for me. Certainly, from what we have seen from him this season.

Inclined to agree. Stats wise TC is blowing TT away this season and I doubt they are earning close to the same amount. The only argument in TTs favour that I can see is he is younger, but given Oghre and Barbeary are waiting in the wings I don't see an extra two years making much of a difference.

Every club needs to cut their wage bill as the cap is lower. If given a choice between two players in a position who are similar in terms of worth, I suspect the highest paid player will miss out in most cases. The implications of Brexit may impact things as well. County Cricket sides have been warned about signing players under the Kolpak agreement now.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 01:10:03 PM »
Considering he came from Sale ,bit of a mixed bag reaction to this on their forum.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 03:22:12 PM »
I’m a fan of TT and as a wasps fan, I’d be sorry to see him leave (not taking into account Cruse). However, if I were a fan of another club, I’m not sure how excited I’d be at my club being linked with signing him.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 04:17:16 PM »
Sale fans probably not over enamoured with him as the perception (rightly or wrongly) seems to be that he left them for international recognition and more £££.  Now he's looking to head back for presumably less money without adding to his 1 England cap, having given Wasps 5 years of the prime his career.