Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Sam Jones  (Read 7067 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sam Jones
« on: September 07, 2017, 08:25:54 AM »
Despite all the reassurances that he was fine and raring to go we still haven't seen Sam Jones. I didn't even see him in the players lounge after the Sale game despite almost all of the other injured or rested players being there.

Any guesses?

My thoughts are that at some stage this season we'll hear of him having to retire due to complications of his injury. I seriously hope I'm wrong though...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Sam Jones
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 08:30:33 AM »
If he's still got a long recovery time, he may be on holiday.  It is worrying though.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 08:35:54 AM »
Well that's just got my blood going again. Poor, poor management of a player, of a young man. To then see the press lusting over Eddie. I apologise in advance for my angry outburst if I ever get near enough to him for me to hear.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 09:42:40 AM »
Personally I think EJ is a self important d*ck. He's been successful with England but so he should be with the players at his disposal. I won't forgive him for breaking Sam and TT.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 10:42:52 AM »
He may well simply be away, but as the club is still saying they don't have a timescale for his return and it has been almost a year I cannot help but fear the worst.  I cannot think of an injury that would cause a lay off like this without being career ending.  My guess is there were complications of the surgery and they are still ongoing.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 11:46:44 AM »
Dai said  he is 'coming to the end of his injury' which could mean - he will be back at some point, or he needs to make a decision.  The implication, though, was that they are not rushing him back and will make sure he is 100% before bringing him back. No timescales have been set though.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 12:10:04 PM »
Having read the Cov Telegraph article on injuries, I personally believe that Dai has it spot on, much better to take time to ensure that the player is 100% both physically and mentally.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 12:30:04 PM »
"Coming to the end of his injury" is a very odd phrase.  If it means he is nearly fit and well why wouldn't they be putting a timescale on it?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 12:54:08 PM »
Personally I think EJ is a self important d*ck. He's been successful with England but so he should be with the players at his disposal. I won't forgive him for breaking Sam and TT.

I am no fan either - I was also concerned about  how tired the players were post 6Ns. EJ has a colourful coaching record and his manic method works so long as results follow - but that sort of regime can go pear shaped quickly too. He is focused just on the RWC 19, and this is with the full backing of the RFU it seems. He does seem fixated on some players and I think England may do well at the RWC, but it may be at the cost of continuity and having a system leading from U18/U20 to Saxons to full team. I am not sure what the impact is on players already in the system when EJ with the RFU backing has scoured the world for eligible players - the RFU must have backed Sale and the Denny transfer, surely?

One positive spin on te EJ regime is that our backs are unlikely to be going to England training camps

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 01:12:35 PM »
"Coming to the end of his injury" is a very odd phrase.  If it means he is nearly fit and well why wouldn't they be putting a timescale on it?

It is indeed. Almost as though there is a word/phrase missing, like 'Coming to the end of his injury insurance cover period.' Like they might have 12 months insurance to cover medical and wages.

He has a bad break. The medicos on the forums discussed this, and I recall that, under normal circumstances, he would have been back playing in 4-6 months. It seems that he is OK to walk on it, so it would follow that, under stress, the fracture must hurt. That is not normal. Maybe that suggests that the fracture has not healing, is not healing, or has micro fractures. Whatever, the prognosis cannot be good. He will have been scanned, prodded and probed by the best, but they have found nothing to explain it. Does sort of make you wonder about those rumours around Jaco Kriel.

The other thing that worries (if worry is the right word) is James Haskell. It is most unusual for a player, out of contract at the season's end, to publicly say that he wants to stay with a new contract, and yet no contract has been forthcoming. He also has no sponsor, although not all the squad do.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 02:04:49 PM »
It is indeed. Almost as though there is a word/phrase missing, like 'Coming to the end of his injury insurance cover period.' Like they might have 12 months insurance to cover medical and wages.

Yes, that does fit.  I hope not though.

He has a bad break. The medicos on the forums discussed this, and I recall that, under normal circumstances, he would have been back playing in 4-6 months. It seems that he is OK to walk on it, so it would follow that, under stress, the fracture must hurt. That is not normal. Maybe that suggests that the fracture has not healing, is not healing, or has micro fractures. Whatever, the prognosis cannot be good. He will have been scanned, prodded and probed by the best, but they have found nothing to explain it. Does sort of make you wonder about those rumours around Jaco Kriel.

I worked in Orthopeadics for several years.  I started off in A&E and ended up teaching fracture immobilization for the British Orthopaedic Association.  I'm a little out of date, but not completely.  The description in the press was a fractured fibula, but as he also needed and MRI to assess the soft tissues suggest that it was either a nasty fractire disloaction of the entire ankle, or a rupture of the ankle ligaments with a break higher up towards the knee (both possible from judo).  Either one should have been surgically fixed and back to training in a few months.  Even when LBND did his ankle and it was fixed he played on it fairly quickly, and then had another bout of injury time when the metalwork was taken out.  So far Jones has been out for a year.  There is no break of the fibula that could have you out for a year unless there are major complications down the line.

The other thing that worries (if worry is the right word) is James Haskell. It is most unusual for a player, out of contract at the season's end, to publicly say that he wants to stay with a new contract, and yet no contract has been forthcoming. He also has no sponsor, although not all the squad do.

I'm not too worried about Haskell announcing things others wouldn't.  After all that is just the way he is.  He likes to make sure people are talking about him.  I'm more worried about whether he ever regained proper fitness after the op he had on his foot.  He's never quite seemed the same player.  Whilst at his best he is world class, when he's not on form he's definitely not a nailed on starter...

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 04:45:09 PM »
It is indeed. Almost as though there is a word/phrase missing, like 'Coming to the end of his injury

The description in the press was a fractured fibula, but as he also needed and MRI to assess the soft tissues suggest that it was either a nasty fractire disloaction of the entire ankle, or a rupture of the ankle ligaments with a break higher up towards the knee (both possible from judo).  Either one should have been surgically fixed and back to training in a few months.  Even when LBND did his ankle and it was fixed he played on it fairly quickly, and then had another bout of injury time when the metalwork was taken out.  So far Jones has been out for a year.  There is no break of the fibula that could have you out for a year unless there are major complications down the line.

I understand Dai (or someone at Wasps) said it was two injuries,a break and a further ankle area injury involving ligament damage

I am relying on my memory though......

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 05:51:11 PM »
Not mentioned in today's extensive injury list. Will we ever see him again on the pitch.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 06:24:32 PM »
Players that are already well documented weren't mentioned, it seemed to  mostly be for people that hadn't been updated on.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 06:40:46 PM »
Agreed, but if he were likely to come back in the next 2-4 weeks, say for example as Thomas Young is, there would have been mention of him. It follows by this omission that he is not likely to be back soon. Nearly a year out. With an injury that should have seen him back at least 6 months ago. Something is clearly far from OK there.