Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Salary cap  (Read 1597 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Salary cap
« on: November 20, 2020, 11:19:29 PM »

I was bored this evening and took a look at the salary cap rules.

A championship club getting promoted at the end of the 18/19 season, needed to provide documentation to prove that they abided by the premiership's salary cap in both 18/19 and 17/18.

That requirement to abide by the salary cap for 2 consecutive seasons before being promoted would have caused Saracens some real problems

However, it appears to have been changed in the documents for 20/21 and 21/22.
A club gaining promotion only needs to prove that they were within the premierships salary cap for that season.

There's probably a good argument that it makes sense to be like that
 However, it fucking annoys me that they've changed it just to appease Saracens

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Salary cap
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 12:01:01 AM »
That is absolute nonsense - I’ve asked about that 2 year rule several times in recent months but there seemed to be no clear answer ... now I see why.

Why make rules that specifically safeguard the integrity of the sport, only to amend them to appease an unrepentant guilty party? If there were valid/justifiable reasons then why not publicly declare and explain the change rather than do it in this hush hush manner? Every time I think we can move on from this saga, the ineptitude of the powers that be just drag it back up again with these infuriating decisions...

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 07:17:24 AM »
What was the name of that Daily Mail reporter that broke the story on Saracens cheating? I think I may send her these details to see if she wants to write a piece on it.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 07:27:52 AM »
What was the name of that Daily Mail reporter that broke the story on Saracens cheating? I think I may send her these details to see if she wants to write a piece on it.

She is now Laura Scott with the BBC. She appears on telly quite a bit covering sport stories. She was as I recall Laura Lambert.
Let me tell you something cucumber

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 06:30:53 PM »

Just bumping this up as I've referenced the contents of this post on another thread

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 07:27:31 PM »
FTR those requirements were never part of the cap. They were an agreement between the shareholders that could be and was changed often.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 07:57:56 AM »
FTR those requirements were never part of the cap. They were an agreement between the shareholders that could be and was changed often.

But it was written into the salary cap document, so was something that PRL / salary cap manager / whoever was supposed to be enforcing as part of the cap rules