Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Who next?  (Read 3002 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Who next?
« on: January 23, 2021, 04:49:34 PM »
From going from a regular crop of 2internationals (Launch and Minozzi) we now have involvement from those two plus Robson, Umaga, Atkinson, Odogwu, Rowlands, Barbeary and Willis. It's just reward for the way they have played. But who's next. Personally I think it's only a matter of time before West gets recognition. Oghre could feature at some point. Tom Willis is probably a bit further away and I wonder if the back row is now too crowded for Shields to force his way back in. Bassett has always struck me as an international winger. Could be an interesting and challenging phase for us as we're happily producing some outstanding talent.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Who next?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 05:41:20 PM »
I've said before, I'm a big Josh fan and think he's one of the, if not the, most underrated England qualified player in the league, but for some reason he doesn't have that "star" character that attracts the mainstream press.

This isn't to underrate anyone, but in a sane world coaches wouldn't care what the mainstream press think, they'd be looking at ability, but the likes of May, Ashton, Nowell and dare I say it, Daly with his long range kicks, amongst many others captured the imagination of the press before they got selected and I always have always a feeling of pleasing the press in England team selections.  They are all good enough in a crowded field and deserve their selections, but I wonder if they'd be where Josh is if they hadn't had that "star" quality.

I think there's some of that in Paulo's selection. Again, that's not a put down of his ability, I think its well deserved, but if he hadn't captured the press's imagination would he have got selected. Most club fans can point to players in their teams and wonder why they never got selected. Mostly they'll be good players who get things right week in, week out, but they just lack something that the press can latch on to.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 06:18:32 PM »

It's interesting, I think it was only 6-9 months ago when there were a few threads on this board questioning whether Josh had the right attributes for Wasps, and how he'd always look to run through someone rather than around them.

I don't feel he's particularly changed his game, rather the team are playing well, which always seems to result in more options being available.... And a confident player/ team seem to make the most of their options.

For me, he doesn't have the out and out speed of some wingers, doesn't have the power of others and isn't the most elusive in the league either.
As such he's probably not at the top of any individual skill set.

Personally though, I feel one of his most important traits is that he makes sure he's available when needed

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 07:18:31 PM »
Was there not talk of Josh potentially being qualified for Scotland at one point?

Ah, forget that https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-5004503/England-rugby-hopeful-Josh-Bassett-says-m-not-Scottish.html

hopwood

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 07:36:38 PM »
On a side note...are the players in the England ‘shadow squad’ available to play for their clubs?

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 07:42:22 PM »
Yes.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 08:00:17 AM »
Its been quite some time since a Wasps prop has played for England, probably Tim Payne over 10 years ago.

Its about time we had another so if West can keep improving like he has been he can be that man.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 11:14:14 AM »
What I really cannot understand about Eddie, is why are the Simmonds Bros not even in the Shadow squad.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 11:23:41 AM »
Who knows what goes through his mind. Although Sam Simmonds is not that great for me. One man who won't be complaining is Rob Baxter!

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 11:33:24 AM »
Who next?

For me, I see Gaby Oghre as a future international.

He had a Barbearry style run of games last season and always made a great impact when he came on. He has bulked up but retained his speed around the park and can jackal.

Up until ‘that line out’ his darts were excellent too.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 12:00:59 PM »
Don't agree that Eddie is swayed by the press at all. Previous managers yes, but then we could understand the thinking behind a player looking good and then getting a call-up with previous managers. Eddie has his own opinion and that's that.

I'm not sure Bassett is doing anything differently than from a few months ago, it's just that the team has been transformed. He did look out of sorts but the same comment applies. I've always been a big fan and am happy that he is seen as just below international standard, nothing wrong with that.

Tom West is in an unfortunate position with some real quality in front of him.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 02:35:15 PM »
Its been quite some time since a Wasps prop has played for England, probably Tim Payne over 10 years ago.

Its about time we had another so if West can keep improving like he has been he can be that man.
Matt Mullan briefly.

BdeB

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 01:36:29 PM »
Tom West has been called up.

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 01:43:15 PM »
Tom West, Will Stuart and Jack Willis... such a happy Trio.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 01:48:52 PM »
Congratulations to Tom.

Now can someone help me understand what the shadow squad is meant to be for if players outside of that get called directly into the 28?