Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Joe Launch Injury News. Tom West Replaces Marler in England Squad.  (Read 5992 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Joe Launch Injury News. Tom West Replaces Marler in England Squad.
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2021, 05:22:08 AM »
Why did Marler decide to withdraw after the squad had been announced rather than before. Jones will become even more fed up with his coming and going about playing for England.
So as to maintain being the center of attention, keep feeding the media beast...ensure everyone has to speak about Joe
As for West, chasing down Priestland for half the field in front of EJ won't have done his chances any harm...it was impressive desire by a prop.

I understand that Marler's wife is expecting their 4th child, so she would have to look after the other 3 by herself whilst he is in the camp.

Good for him, but its not like it came as a surprise so he could have warned Eddie weeks, if not months, ago that he wouldn't be available.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2021, 09:10:34 AM »
Why did Marler decide to withdraw after the squad had been announced rather than before. Jones will become even more fed up with his coming and going about playing for England.
So as to maintain being the center of attention, keep feeding the media beast...ensure everyone has to speak about Joe
As for West, chasing down Priestland for half the field in front of EJ won't have done his chances any harm...it was impressive desire by a prop.

I understand that Marler's wife is expecting their 4th child, so she would have to look after the other 3 by herself whilst he is in the camp.

Good for him, but its not like it came as a surprise so he could have warned Eddie weeks, if not months, ago that he wouldn't be available.

Would he have been aware that there'd have been a complete covid bubble for 2 months straight (maybe more) a couple of months ago? Even a few weeks ago that may not have been a reasonable assumption. Would the players have known the ful details at all until the last moment?

And that would strike me as hugely presumptive, and have us all saying how arrogant he is to just automatically assume he's in the squad.

The guy has mental health issues related to leaving his usual routine and leaving his family. He's attempting to deal with them, and maybe thought he could handle it, or maybe has been called up, and has spent a few days wrestling with a massive decision?

How quickly could any of you decide whether you want to spend 2 months away from a young family, with an expecting missus, no physical contact with them, but with the chance to earn an extra £10k (adjusted to perhaps match a more relatable sum in comparison to wage). It's not a decision I could make quickly.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2021, 09:16:10 AM »
Was going to reply essentially with what Raggs has said. Some people need to wind their necks in a little bit, and - if they absolutely have to attack someone - get back to focusing on the professional aspects of players, not their imagined or assumed personality traits.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2021, 09:25:16 AM »
Some people need to wind their necks in a little bit, and - if they absolutely have to attack someone - get back to focusing on the professional aspects of players, not their imagined or assumed personality traits.

Totally agree, but good luck with that Peej, I think that's the only reason some people log on to the internet!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2021, 10:22:53 AM »
Ok, I accept I was a bit harsh and insensitive to his mental health problems, and for that last part I apologise, I am sensitive to those issues, as I posted on the Minozzi the thread.

That said, I still think it could have been handled better.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2021, 05:05:07 PM »
Yes, I tend to agree. I've every sympathy for anyone battling mental health issues and wish them every success with it. But the two facts he could have been absolutely certain about were that his wife was expecting and the England squad would be in a bubble. In receipt of both those facts he should have simply made himself unavailable for selection.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2021, 08:43:37 AM »
Yes, I tend to agree. I've every sympathy for anyone battling mental health issues and wish them every success with it. But the two facts he could have been absolutely certain about were that his wife was expecting and the England squad would be in a bubble. In receipt of both those facts he should have simply made himself unavailable for selection.

He's in a bubble at Quins but presumably gets to go home to his wife and kids after each training session.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2021, 09:26:16 AM »
Exactly. But he couldn't possibly have thought that would apply with England? It didn't for the autumn international competition. I'm not trying to knock the guy but I do agree with Bloke in The North that he could have made things more straightforward.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2021, 09:56:04 AM »
Exactly. But he couldn't possibly have thought that would apply with England? It didn't for the autumn international competition. I'm not trying to knock the guy but I do agree with Bloke in The North that he could have made things more straightforward.

Again, he didn't know he'd be picked. He informed Eddie well before the bubbles started. He may not have been sure of his decision, and wanted to be sure he was in the team before actually deciding. It's not a straightforward yes/no, there's a large chunk of money on the table if he says yes. Would he have known if he could return home during the break weeks of the 6N, after the 2nd and 3rd game, for a few days, then back in camp with time enough for testing etc before the next games etc?

It's not an easy decision, and not one I think I could have made quickly without knowing all the details.

Let's be honest here, we're the ones still discussing this. Not the press, not Eddie, not Marler. It's just us keeping this story going, so it's not like it was huge news or anything.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2021, 03:30:41 PM »
Agree, and to be honest what Marler did/does doesn't really interest me. The only relevant part of the story for me was disruption to our preparation (which not be too material) with West being called up.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2021, 03:39:59 PM »
Agree, and to be honest what Marler did/does doesn't really interest me. The only relevant part of the story for me was disruption to our preparation (which not be too material) with West being called up.

And then again with Willis called up. Lee had the team prepared on Monday to have two disruptions to selection from the Ed.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2021, 04:01:00 PM »
Callum Sheedy is playing for Bristol, having been released from Wales camp yesterday. Too much to hope Rowlands might also be available?

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2021, 04:05:58 PM »
Should do. Pat Lam quite vocal on it

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1064441561?-11081:2392

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2021, 04:47:11 PM »
Pat Lam in vocal expression of opinion shock.

But at the same time, he's not wrong. Let's hope we go into the game with Rowlands, Jamma and Cardall then. Makes us a lot more solid upfront, which will be key.

So expect the team will be:

McIntyre
Cruse
Brookes
Rowlands
Jamma
Shields
Young
Willis

Porter
Umaga
Bassett
Jimmy
Juan
Zach
Lima

Taylor
Harris
J TA
Cardall
Vailanu? Kronfeld (our Pirate?) Actually probably Morris!
Ben V
Atkinson
Watson

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2021, 02:09:28 PM »
Proud moment for Atkinson, Odogwu & West. Well done boys

https://mobile.twitter.com/EnglandRugby/status/1355122651824599043