Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps academy development  (Read 1013 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps academy development
« on: January 25, 2021, 06:11:04 PM »

When we first moved to Coventry, there was lots of concern regarding our academy, and over the next few years when we brought in a number of marquee players it was stated that our academy was still London'ish based and that we had to wait for our new academy regions to start bearing fruit.

So, what I'd like to know is where have the likes of Willis x2, Barbeary, Oghre, Atkinson, West and others come from.
From memory, Umaga was released by Tigers academy a few years ago and we snapped him up.

I'm wondering if any of our new, young stars would have been part of the wasps academy if we were still in high Wycombe?

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Wasps academy development
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 10:20:38 PM »
Willis Bros were on Wasps radar before the move as they played at Abbey RFC before joining the Junior Academy at Henley.

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps academy development
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 09:23:35 AM »
There's a map of the academy regions on page 5 of this document (https://d2cx26qpfwuhvu.cloudfront.net/sale/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/13162057/Sale-Sharks-Academy-DPP-Strategic-Plan-2019-20.pdf), but I'm not sure if is up to date. I think the boundaries changed in 2017 or 2018.