Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Paolo extended  (Read 1789 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Paolo extended
« on: January 25, 2021, 10:05:34 AM »
Seeing on Twatter
Let me tell you something cucumber

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Paolo extended
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 10:14:35 AM »
Extension confirmed. Fantastic news, would have been silly to lose him and i don't think he would have wanted to leave as seems to be really good mates with younger lads in particular Umaga.

Also has a coach in Blackett who he trusts and gets best out of him.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 10:25:08 AM »
Good news! Only 23 as well. He's had a good few weeks!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 10:27:21 AM »
From the offy.

Wasps are delighted to announce that outside back Paolo Odogwu has extended his contract with the club.

The 23-year-old is Wasps’ leading try scorer this season, with six tries in just eight games so far this term.

The rapid winger come outside centre has been in scintillating form recently, claiming man-of-the-match in the high-scoring win over Bath Rugby.

That form saw Odogwu named in the England Squad for the Guinness Six Nations.

The explosive back is currently the top metre-maker in the Gallagher Premiership, with 367 metres gained.

Odogwu has also made the most clean breaks in the Premiership with 12 to his name so far this season. Two statistics that have helped him to second place in the try charts for the Premiership, with five put downs domestically.

Odogwu joined Wasps from Sale Sharks ahead of the 2019/20 campaign, coming back to his birthplace of Coventry.

His first outing in a Wasps jersey was at the 2019 Premiership 7s where he helped his side reach the final for the sixth successive time, contributing six tries and in the process becoming the competition's top try-scorer of all time.

He previously spent time with Leicester Tigers while also having represented England Under 20s.

Wasps Head Coach Lee Blackett said: “We are very happy that Paolo has committed his future to Wasps.

“He has been a revelation this season, showing to everyone the exciting player we knew he was. We look forward to seeing much more of that excitement in a Wasps shirt over the coming seasons.”

Speaking about the contract extension, Odogwu said: “I’m really happy to have extended my time at Wasps.

“I’m having a great time playing in this team at the moment and I’ve felt at home ever since I joined the environment. There’s a great culture and buzz about the place and working with all the coaches over the past couple years has given me the confidence in my ability and the opportunity to show what I can do on the field.

“I have really loved my time at the club so far. All the squad are working hard to build on the progress we have made recently and I’m excited about being part of Wasps’ future.”

Interesting. I've never seen anyone described as an 'outside back' before.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 10:57:38 AM »
Wonder if original contract was 2 or 3 years ? If 2 ,another season with us .
Hopefully 3 on a reasonable deal and wasps getting in early.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 11:00:48 AM »
Wonder if original contract was 2 or 3 years ? If 2 ,another season with us .
Hopefully 3 on a reasonable deal and wasps getting in early.

You will never know!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 11:06:01 AM »
Nice to see the Coventry born kid extend his stay. Congratulations Paolo.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 11:18:26 AM »
Brilliant!!!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 11:29:37 AM »
 + 2.  VERY haqpy indeed.

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 09:46:46 AM »
Paolo on The Rugby Pod this week says he signed the deal the day before the Bath game. Might have missed out on a few extra £!

Should mean more deals to be announced soon hopefully if they were getting deals done a few weeks back.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 10:48:28 AM »
I was going to say that I doubt this has all been wrapped up between the England squad announcement and now. Think we try and get our signings done in early Jan, with discussions likely going on well beforehand (i.e. before other teams can get talking to them directly).

Brilliant bit of work by the club to get him signed up again :D.

hopwood

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 01:43:09 PM »
Paolo on The Rugby Pod this week says he signed the deal the day before the Bath game. Might have missed out on a few extra £!

Should mean more deals to be announced soon hopefully if they were getting deals done a few weeks back.

Ha ha. Always the way.
But maybe putting pen to paper, getting security, being wanted, peace of mind etc....actually released him, freed him up...to put in a such an extraordinary display against Bath.
And then get noticed by Eddie in the stands and get selected for the England squad.

These things work both ways don't they.

I'm just glad he's starting to hit his potential and that he's enjoying the club and his rugby.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 03:57:53 PM »
I think it was in a Guardian report that Jones had been warned by Blackett that Italy had made an enquiry , which prompted him to include Odogwu in squad.

Must be first time EJ has listened to outside advice, but just hope he’s not used for 3 mins then discarded.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 05:22:09 PM »
I think it was in a Guardian report that Jones had been warned by Blackett that Italy had made an enquiry , which prompted him to include Odogwu in squad.

Must be first time EJ has listened to outside advice, but just hope he’s not used for 3 mins then discarded.

Saw and interview of Paolo that said he put Italy on the backburner just from the interest from Eddie, without knowing he'd be in the England squad, which suggests it's something he'd like to do, even if he wasn't expecting to get there already.