Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Elliot Millar-Mills joins Wasps family  (Read 1991 times)

TheTameWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Elliot Millar-Mills joins Wasps family
« on: January 27, 2021, 03:02:35 PM »
Wasps are delighted to announce the signing of Ealing Trailfinders tighthead-prop Elliot Millar-Mills, who will join the Club at the end of the season.

Elliot joins his sister Harriet at Wasps. The 58-cap England Women’s back-rower is currently with Wasps Ladies.

Elliot has appeared for England Counties. In doing so the 28-year-old prop became the third member of his family to have gained international recognition, after his older sisters Bridget and Harriet, had already been capped by Scotland and England respectively.

Before joining Greene King IPA Championship outfit Ealing in 2018, the 121kg prop had spells at Edinburgh in the Guinness Pro 14 and Leeds Tykes.

Wasps Head Coach Lee Blackett said: “We are delighted to bring Elliott on board for next season.

“We have been very impressed by his consistent performances in the Championship over the last couple of seasons. We feel he can make the step up to the Premiership and add some strength in depth to our front row options.”

Millar-Mills added: “Wasps is a really exciting club, and I am delighted to be joining a team that is showing so much progression on and off the pitch.

“They have certainly given opportunities for players to come from the Championship and I hope I can add to that.

“I’d also like to thank Ealing Trailfinders for all they have done for me and I am hoping to leave Vallis Way on a high.”

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: Elliot Millar-Mills joins Wasps family
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 03:15:09 PM »
Welcome Elliot

That must mean Brookes is off as rumoured to France.

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 03:29:42 PM »
Welcome Elliot

That must mean Brookes is off as rumoured to France.

Could be a replacement for Owlett? No idea how good he is. Chances are you're right though.

BB confirms that JTA's current deal goes out to 2022, which is good news as well. Does that need updating on the sticky?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 03:29:52 PM »
Any good?

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 03:37:36 PM »
Any good?

3rd best player in his family!

Would guess he comes with recommendation from scrum coach Fowkes who knows the front rowers in the championship.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 04:51:42 PM »
I'm seeing Blackett's phraseology as relevant "will add strength in depth". That said if we retain JTA and Owlett I can't see us adding anyone else and going in with 5 TH's. This all assumes Brookes is off. JTA's form cushions that blow a bit but losing a tighthead who has been that good is a big blow. Welcome to Millar Mills though.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 05:54:47 PM »
Slightly OT

I wonder if Lee has a different perspective on Championship players and can see things that coaches who haven't played or coached there miss?

That's not to denigrate anyone, they all give their best and there are some great people in the Championship, but facilities etc might not allow them to flourish.

Look at Lee himself, what chance would he have been given so young in any other circumstances?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 06:00:27 PM »
Slightly OT

I wonder if Lee has a different perspective on Championship players and can see things that coaches who haven't played or coached there miss?

That's not to denigrate anyone, they all give their best and there are some great people in the Championship, but facilities etc might not allow them to flourish.

Look at Lee himself, what chance would he have been given so young in any other circumstances?

Can't remember who it was that said it, but I believe watching the Glaws euro game where their new "small" 8 signing from the championship, was playing really well, the commentator (or colour) said that a lot of championship players probably are good enough, they just need a lucky break to show it. Put them in the environment and they can meet the grade etc.

Picking the right ones can't be easy, but there's little doubt of the quality there, especially since a lot of youngsters polish up there and fit quite well at GP level.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 06:03:50 PM »
Whilst I don't like to compare players to their siblings, his sister is an absolute beast, so if he's half as good as her, he'll be a decent signing!

It wasn't that long ago that Odogwu was playing for Sharks amateur side in Northern Prem 1, or whatever the correct term is for the league 3 below the championship.
Interestingly enough at centre :)

If you get the lucky breaks anything can happen if your good enough

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 11:01:55 PM »
Welcome Elliott.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 08:28:48 AM »
He must be the only guy who has 2 international rugby players as sisters.

A lot to live up to!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 08:36:27 AM »
Welcome Elliot, looking forward to seeing you in black and gold.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 08:39:46 AM »
Is this the pair who play for England and Scotland?

So chances are he could be selected for Wales and have to move on .

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 08:53:54 AM »
Is this the pair who play for England and Scotland?

So chances are he could be selected for Wales and have to move on .

Yes Hariet plays for Wasps and England, elder sister Bridgit plays for Sale and Scotland  (although being Sale shouldn't it be South Africa?)