Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps sign Ali Crossdale  (Read 5606 times)

MarleyWasp

Re: Wasps sign Ali Crossdale
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2021, 07:40:05 PM »
I recall Miller signing a new deal for 2019/20 as well so seems to favour or is only offered a 1 year deal.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2021, 07:51:16 PM »
I think Josh is a brilliant Clubman and he's been a great servant for Wasps, he's consistently solid and works supremely hard in both defence and attack. 

That being said, he's 28 and with little chance of an England call-up, this is probably his last chance of a 'big' contract and I wouldn't begrudge him for taking more cash or be overly upset if he left.  I'm not convinced he's worth keeping at all costs for us or a bumper contract even if Lima going frees up some cash.

Watson has had some brilliant touches and flashes in games but equally hasn't had the same consistent game time as Josh.  Between Marcus, Sirker (with his promise) and now Crossdale not to mention Paolo when Fekitoa is back fit and firing we're pretty well stock at Wing and that's without considering Miller (if he stays).

Personally, although he's not renewed i'd be fairly surprised if he went, especially with a young Family and being pretty settled in Cov and a big part of the team.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2021, 07:55:51 PM »
 show reel’s just gone up on the Wasps Twitter feed and his first try is against us :-\

Looks to be quite a mazey runner and got a bit of Christian Wade about him. 

He doesn’t look like a Josh replacement to me but is fast.

https://twitter.com/waspsrugby/status/1354821538239967232?s=21

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2021, 08:03:18 PM »
I recall Miller signing a new deal for 2019/20 as well so seems to favour or is only offered a 1 year deal.
Yes I noticed that too. Hope it was a two year deal he signed in 19/20 . The extension was reported in May 20 so hopefully will cover 21/22 season

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2021, 08:26:16 PM »
Crossdale is a FB for me but couldn't get game time for Sarries there. I think it's certain Lima is going so we'll have Minozzi and Crossdale vying for FB. I don't think we'd waste the resource on a winger with Bassett (who I think may extend) Odogwu, Kibirige, Watson and Sirker in the ranks.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2021, 09:15:12 PM »
Crossdale is a FB for me but couldn't get game time for Sarries there. I think it's certain Lima is going so we'll have Minozzi and Crossdale vying for FB. I don't think we'd waste the resource on a winger with Bassett (who I think may extend) Odogwu, Kibirige, Watson and Sirker in the ranks.
Agree with this, I can't see Sops staying given his high wage and lack of a future at 10 for us. Optimistic Bassett will extend too but guess there are negotiations with him looking for the best deal possible at this stage given his age and current form.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2021, 10:32:07 PM »
If Josh Lewsey reincarnated isn't available, then my ideal back three player is a Ben Smith - a - like, a second 5/8th with experience of 10 and centre so that they have that all round game which makes back lines so dangerous, both in terms of bringing colleagues into the game and the ability to finish themselves.

This guy seems to have the potential and will be given every chance to develop such a game.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2021, 09:11:16 AM »
Nice to see us continue our recruitment of young prospects from the Championship as well.

Fantastic

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2021, 09:28:22 AM »
If Josh Lewsey reincarnated isn't available, then my ideal back three player is a Ben Smith - a - like, a second 5/8th with experience of 10 and centre so that they have that all round game which makes back lines so dangerous, both in terms of bringing colleagues into the game and the ability to finish themselves.

That sounds like Jimmy G to me, I've said on here a few times I think 15 could be his position for the last couple of season of his career, his speed of thought and reading of the game from there will balance out any reduction in speed of legs!

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2021, 10:52:52 AM »
What contract length are Kibirige & Watson on? No-one has mentioned the possibility of Crossdale replacing one of them.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2021, 10:54:04 AM »
They both signed "long term" extensions last July.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2021, 10:56:12 AM »
What contract length are Kibirige & Watson on? No-one has mentioned the possibility of Crossdale replacing one of them.

Wasps NEVER release conract length details but the norm seems to be 2 years with a 1 year extension (on both sides) or 3 years straight. That has been completely nuked by the recent spate of "long term extensions" - so in some cases it is anyones best guess.

See the "Sticky" at the top for "best guess".
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2021, 11:22:29 AM »

That sounds like Jimmy G to me, I've said on here a few times I think 15 could be his position for the last couple of season of his career, his speed of thought and reading of the game from there will balance out any reduction in speed of legs!

Agreed - he'd be able to provide "instruction" from the back whilst Ryan and others do the running the centres. I do think that Jacob could be moved to 12 and/or 15 as he all the skills to be very much like Ben Smith!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2021, 06:21:51 PM »

It seems weird to say it about a player in his mid/late 30s, but when Jimmy does run with ball in hand, there doesn't seem to be much slowing down of the legs

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2021, 06:45:52 PM »

It seems weird to say it about a player in his mid/late 30s, but when Jimmy does run with ball in hand, there doesn't seem to be much slowing down of the legs
Positioning, reading of play, means he can just jog along and use energy when required.