Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 8754 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2021, 04:49:26 PM »
We’ve been served some of our own medicine.

I reckon Bobby’s scores are going to be quite low and his comments scathing. 

hopwood

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2021, 04:51:35 PM »
One of those days. 
Missed our England boys.
And we really miss the injection of pace and power from Alfie and Oregre.

Really like Umaga...but he’s bound to have a few dips.
And I can’t quite see why he’s in the shadow squad and Smith isn’t.
Maybe Eddie just doesn’t actually want someone properly challenging his precious boys, Owen and George.
He doesn’t like making difficult selection choices and change his gameplan.

Anyway...one of those days.
Probably best not to even go through the video tape.
Some rusty players needed game time.

Best just start afresh on Tuesday.

hopwood

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2021, 04:54:07 PM »
At least Pearce spotted someone going in at the side at the end.
Finally.
Of course....it was the only one he blew on...and it was a Wasps player.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2021, 04:55:00 PM »
Whilst bad form to criticise the ref when getting kicked - it's like many Laws were not applied.....especially at breakdown and what are the line guys doing re offside

It's not the first game that he's confused teams. Made sod all diff to the result, one for the bin.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2021, 04:57:26 PM »
Capitulation.

One of the worst performances I have seen from Wasps in recent seasons. (The 0-27 v UBB came close last year.)

Our organisation was rubbish.

Injuries have not helped (and 6N call ups) but we were clueless out there today.

It does not bode well for the rest of this block of games.

Just hope the boys prove me wrong.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2021, 04:58:13 PM »
Well we got what we deserved - a real thumping. Were always going to miss our internationals and it was always going to be a funny one with Quins rejuvenated jettisoning Gustard. But that was shocking. Real lack of intent. Porter was so slow at the base and when he did pass it was always above head height. Umaga had a stinker all round. We were terrible under the high ball all game. Miller looked solid when he came on and should play 15. Minozzi for me is no winger. Wolstenholme's passing was on a different level when he came on. Porter got found out - where's Vellacott. You can't win games when your core is so poor. Positives? Miller, Wolstenholme, Morris were decent. Nice to have Fekitoa back and Kibirige looked ok when we got him the ball. Hopefully just one of those days - move on.

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2021, 04:58:45 PM »
Umaga has been off his game for the last few games. Honestly don't think he has been the same since first call up to England. Sops probably should have been subbed at half time.
Hope Shields just had bad cramp.

The team need to ask themselves why we were put to the sword so easily 

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2021, 04:59:25 PM »
99 reasons why we lost today, and the ref ain't one.

Sure we got the brown end of the stick, but we would not have won if LBND was reffing.
Write it off as a bad day, start again.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2021, 05:01:16 PM »
Not much of a team performance, more a collection of individuals in the same shirt.

Let's hope it was just a blip.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2021, 05:01:38 PM »
That’s the sort of game I like to watch ,but unfortunately not the right way round . Can’t believe the amount of infringements allowed or ignored.

bertywasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2021, 05:02:24 PM »
The worrying thing is that we are now going to be without Will Rowlands who I thought was possibly our best forward today. How Eddue continually overlooks Marcus Smith is beyond me. We were well beaten by an inspired team who thoroughly deserved it.

Nigel Med

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2021, 05:05:06 PM »
Sorry, but blaming Pearce is ridiculous, Quins were better, far better at every single facet of the game. Umaga (amongst others) played poorly because Quins line speed was phenomenal and put us under massive pressure on the rare occasions that we actually had the ball. They found a good way to prevent us from playing our usual game. Our only scores were from bludgeoning our way over the line with the pack, that's not Wasps game at all.

Team with a lot of talent but coached poorly plays far better once their DoR leaves? Sound familiar? Fair play to them, we deserved what we got and they were very good value for their 5 points. Sometimes you just have to be sporting and take it on the chin, not nice to watch but we've bounced back from poor performances before. As others have mentioned, this is where the coaching team earn their salary.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2021, 05:06:20 PM »
Porter slow getting the ball away. What a difference when Wusty came on. Jacob's kicking from hand really poor, often far too long and inaccurate. He threw one interception and very nearly threw another. Sops hasn't got tackling at FB or gathering high balls under pressure. By contrast, Mike Brown was a rock (mostly). A game too soon for Malakai to be starting. With hindsight, Kieran should have started rather than JTA.

It's all very well Pearce yelling 'use it' but when he's being ignored, particularly by Landajo, then he really should do something about it. Why didn't the assistant ref or the TMO not indicate that the line out was not straight? When it is that skew whiff, then it could be construed as foul play surely?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2021, 05:06:58 PM »
That was a weird combination between us losing to Sale and losing to Gloucester. As in we didn't have a plan B and everything our opposition tried worked. Sprinkled with lack of experience in key places.

First half was Smith and Care completely outclassing Porter and Umaga, Quins rush defence and not adapting to what was Infront of us.

Second half was more of the same, except pouncing on our mistakes and refusing to change our gameplan.

Honestly nothing paid off for us and everything Quins touched turned to gold. So in some respects it's just one of those days.

But....We missed a lot of experience in Launchbury and Willis, but in particular Robson. Our attack is notably worse when we use Porter or Wolstenholme. They're not bad players, they've got lots of potential, just not there yet. I feel like investing in our academy is very good, but every so often throwing the kids in the deep end leads to situations like this. They'll probably learn from it and get better, that's the only real positive from this game.

P.s. Pearce definitely got things wrong, but the ref always does. That's not what lost is the game.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2021, 05:07:34 PM »
A disappointing performance to same the least. I don't think Jacob is yet an all round 10 and was comprehensively outplayed by Smith. My patience for the Sopoaga Full Back experiment is fading. In all honesty up until the Montpellier game I'd never been overly convinced by Porter. That match showed why.

Far from a perfect game by Pearce and the officials, but their incompetence was not even close to ours.

I don't accept the argument that international call ups were to blame. The side we had out was more than good enough to win today.