Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Harlequins post match thoughts.  (Read 5992 times)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Harlequins post match thoughts.
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2021, 02:10:33 PM »
Maybe Quins had done their homework not just on us , but the ref too.

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1064929909?-11081:2392

Comment about allowing ball carrying side to go off feet , considering emphasis on safety , is concerning

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2021, 02:34:23 PM »
I've seen some absolute rubbish in my time - but the ref basically disallowed most of Laws 14 and 15 especially the parts relating to entering from your own side, what's allowed once a ruck is formed especially iro handling the ball. If he was applying the Laws (per SH - i.e. as written..) then he would not have allowed a competition for the ball with hands when a ruck is formed. A ruck only needs one player from each side.  He would not have allowed people on the ground to handle at all and he did not enforce the requirement for the tackled player to release...the ball.....And allowing going off feet is not to any ref's credit. It's not only dangerous, it means that the breakdown becomes a rough melee and nothing like the Laws envisage.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2021, 02:39:41 PM »
One thing that has always puzzled me. Have all first class refs actually played the game to a significant level? Watching some of their efforts, I find it hard to believe.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2021, 02:48:05 PM »
One thing that has always puzzled me. Have all first class refs actually played the game to a significant level? Watching some of their efforts, I find it hard to believe.

Short answer is no.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2021, 02:55:44 PM »

Short answer is no.

Why am I not surprised.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2021, 03:07:42 PM »
Isn't Jacob actually older than Smith?

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2021, 03:24:55 PM »
Isn't Jacob actually older than Smith?

Yes by around 7 months

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2021, 03:34:42 PM »
But with far less first team game time.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2021, 04:15:23 PM »

Short answer is no.

Why am I not surprised.

More surprising is their inability to go to the World Rugby site, read the Laws and watch the illustrative vids that explain what basics like "shoulders above hips" might mean in practice......or "Once a ruck has formed, no player may handle the ball unless they were able to get their hands on the ball before the ruck formed and stay on their feet"

It's not exactly rocket science......seems SH refs are applying such details.....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2021, 04:29:45 PM »

Short answer is no.

Why am I not surprised.

More surprising is their inability to go to the World Rugby site, read the Laws and watch the illustrative vids that explain what basics like "shoulders above hips" might mean in practice......or "Once a ruck has formed, no player may handle the ball unless they were able to get their hands on the ball before the ruck formed and stay on their feet"

It's not exactly rocket science......seems SH refs are applying such details.....

It is going to be interesting over the next period watching the non-international referees coping. I assume some of the younger influx will be seen.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2021, 04:45:46 PM »
This might just be throwing fuel on this debate and standing back

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/wayne-barnes-heir-apparent-luke-pearce-just-proved-his-mettle-once-again/?__twitter_impression=true

Article i believe by former wasps press guy Paul Smith ( and also former ref very well known and respected around Cov & warks area)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2021, 04:56:46 PM »

It is going to be interesting over the next period watching the non-international referees coping. I assume some of the younger influx will be seen.

I just hope they make Laws 14 and 15 the emphasis of compliance. The tackle and breakdown make such a difference to how the game is played. I know it's lower level but watching Mitre 10 games from NZ in the (our) summer shows a game where continuity and fast ball make for a faster game where defences are stressed.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2021, 06:19:05 PM »
Pearce missed lots of stuff. He didn't referee the breakdown at all, missed knocks even when told about them (told Quins player to "be careful"), allowed one of the most ridiculous line out throws I've seen and generally missed people off feet, in at the side, offside and tackling high. He was a shambles and needs to be pulled up about it. He wasn't the reason we lost, but he was awful.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2021, 07:27:54 AM »
It was clear from the day we found out he was officiating what the game would be like. He always lets things go at the breakdown in order to try to create a more free flowing game.

That means he is laxer about offside, off feet and so on. Even the commentators mentioned this in the run up.

Normally that is exactly the sort of reffing that benefits us.

We consider ourselves a team that is great at turning the ball over at the breakdown. Other teams' fans consider us to be serial offenders who constantly stretch the rules in order to steal the ball.

The fact is Quins played a blinder, they beat us at our own game, and that is not the ref's fault.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2021, 07:30:14 AM »

I would like see Sara Cox in charge of some of them.