Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Morning all!  (Read 1530 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Morning all!
« on: February 06, 2021, 07:01:25 AM »
A very good morning from a pleasantly quiet Guildford. I am up with the lark as is usual for me, coffee is in the machine with its smooth caramel and chocolate notes infusing the air and spreading gently throughout the house. There are few more wonderful aromas to wake us from our slumber, and sampling that wonderful brew whilst taking the morning air is a treat I will never take for granted. Thus my pre game ritual has commenced! And thus the hound will be walked, the paper absorbed of all rugby related material and ‘fighting talk’ on 5 live enjoyed, before we settle down to see our boys take on Saints at the gardens, before the oldest and one of the most exciting test matches in the worlds finest annual tournament begins! Manna from heaven indeed!

Last week was a rude awakening for us Waspies. A perfect storm of a rejuvenated Quins with the shackles off came up against a lacklustre performance from our entire 23 for 80 minutes. Lee was right when he commented that there was no positives to draw from the game as were beaten all ends up. Set piece, passing, communication, execution, decision making, physicality, psychologically, leadership, tactics. We lost every battle and deserved exactly what we got. I said at the time that post game analysis here held little to no value. Where the lesson is, is for us to remember that game, remember the defeat, burn it into our psyche and use it as motivation never to repeat that performance again.
Changes have been made this weekend, Porter is out, Umaga benching being key as the 9-10 axis misfired last week. Yet the forwards need to step up as that did not help matters. Yes injuries and international call ups have an impact. But if we are to constantly be a top 4 team then this will be an annual problem. This is a squad game and the squad must be good enough to keep pushing when those players are away. It must start this week, and it must start against a Saints team buoyed by recent victory.

Then, the Calcutta cup. As a rugby person to my core this is the fixture i look for first every season. The first international against the auld enemy. Yes we will miss the excitement of the crowd, and Many of us (including myself) will miss those precious moments of heading to HQ/down the pub/to a gathering of friends in a house to witness this battle. But be assured those days WILL return once more. But until that day the excitement is still palpable. Todays test is banjo string tight. Scotland have a good and improving test team. Under Jones of late we have played narrowly and with a limited game plan. It has been effective, but it is fallible, and if we come up against a team that physically matches or bests us, it is also easily beatable! Has Jones played a blinder and is going to expand on these tactics, because of you want to be the best team in the world you need more than one or two bows (EDIT: not bows, i meant to say arrows! Good spot Wonky!  ;D) in you quiver. If not questions must start to be asked because with the talent and resources we have only the error of ways or inability of the individual would be reason not to use them.
My other concern is a lack of game time from too many key players in our squad. This is a weakness that Scotland can and will exploit. And should defeat occur then immediate response should be considered as players cannot be picked on reputation alone, they need to be out there regularly performing for their club. Those from premiership games cancelled have a good reason. Those who remain with a club that is not even playing and may well not do have tougher reasons to merit selection.
Make no bones about it, these are two games that could be banjo string tight and absolute thrillers. Saints and Wasps I cannot call. The calcutta cup? Well it may be a losing streak at HQ stretching back to the 1980s may end today as I have them slight favourites.

Whatever happens though, my beer is charged, my wasps and England gear adorned and I cannot wait for it to begin as we cheer our boys in black and gold and our England lads on! Lets get this rugby party started!!!

Chris

Once a Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 08:24:49 AM by Wombles »

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Morning all!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 07:27:52 AM »
Good morning one and all from a crisp, clear North Dorset. There's a lovely waning crescent moon in the sky as well to cap it off. Weather wise it looks like being one of those days that make winter bearable and I'm looking forward to my walk.

What a day for sports fans: England cricketers are doing well, lead by fellow Yorkshireman Joe Root, there's also the Big Bash final, then the main event at the Ricoh (#coyw) and finally the Calcutta Cup. I'm going to be exhausted at the end of that :)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 07:48:14 AM »
Morning all

As dawn is breaking in it's full grey cover and I am taking a stop, under some trees, in the daily dog walk. Not a cold day but damp and we are threatened with some form of snow dump later in the weekend but now it doesn't feel cold enough. Having watched both Saints and us last weekend my money would be on the visitors BUT this is Wasps and we all know what we can do. So here is hoping Captain Brad can galvanise the lads. Might need to move the sofa away from the wall again but here's hoping. As for the later match - hope Eddie chokes and falls from his perch but the smug git will probably stay at ground level.

COYW
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 08:16:25 AM »
Morning All. It's been a long and tiring week, with many jobs to do in the garden before the game. Very misty out right now, visibility barely 100-200 yards.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 08:18:15 AM »
Morning Wombles, BND and everyone - from a cold and foggy Herefordshire; I know there are mountains out there ... somewhere ... but blowed if I can  see them.  Can't even see  the hills behind us. Hopefully, it will clear  soon.  That is impressive writing in style , content and quality Wombles, esp. so early! Excuse me for being pedantic tho' but as an ex-archer there is no way you could get ONE bow into a quiver let alone two; you could manage 6 arrows however. And you would  definitely have two strings  to your bow in case one broke. Falls off soap box.  I am very happy to see Brad as Captain; long overdue. Not really very optimistic about this match  but will hope I'm wrong.  As for the Calcutta - well, I can't support Eddie and his Cheats so will be reduced  to wishing for a draw.  At least there's a repeat of Line of Duty later on!  Safe journeys to you all  and Allez Allez Allez.  C  O  Y  W .  Stay safe. Come on  WASPS................

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 08:39:14 AM »
Morning all, its very misty here in Banbury at present and I'm trying to find the enthusiasm to go out into the garden and take down the fence panels ready for someone with more talent than me to put some new one's up later in the week.

I have no idea which Wasps team is going to turn up today but lets hope it's not the error strewn one from last week.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 08:52:27 AM »
Morning all from a cold mainly clear and frosty S Glos. Been to the bakers so lunch is now assured, Mrs 909 is WFH today - so I am key servant to both wife and dog - the second of which is already after my brekkie....

The key positive from last week, and its minor, is that the players with little recent game time or coming back from injury will be up to speed a little more and will have had the reset that seemed required. The team we're missing is an excuse, but it doesn't let players off from not doing their tasks. But I expect and hope for something coherent - we have the tools to score.

As for this PM and England. Well, it's an England team set up for defence. It's similar to the RWC QF selection which made over twice the tackle Oz did that day. Expect box kicking and opportunism. If Scotland get their attack going such that England are stretched - then it's going to be an awkward game. Needs reffing to the Laws for quick ball. Quick ball is attack positive. 

MarleyWasp

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 09:13:50 AM »
Morning all. Early start for me as I stupidly picked today to have Sky TV installed, forgetting Wasps were playing. Hoping they arrive in time to be done before our match.

Cautiously optimistic about our chances today. I feel the changes Lee has made are the right changes and that there will be a much improved performance. Saints will be difficult and are finding form. If we can win, it'll do our confidence wonders.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 09:28:32 AM »
Morning all,
The forecast for Coventry is foggy turning cloudy by lunchtime apparently. Very still.
I’m really hoping we can get our mojo back today but I’m a little pessimistic to be honest.
My pre match preparation involves a walk around the Memorial Park with the dog and then brunch.
Really hope we can do it today.
Best wishes everyone.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 09:47:32 AM »
Worried that the state of our pitch will be a leveller.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 10:03:33 AM »
Good morning everyone from a grey, misty Hastings. I am looking forward to Brad captaining the side (has he been skip for us before?). I anticipate a significant bounce back from last week. Saints of course beat Glaws but they were really terrible which proves absolutely nothing at all.

Thanks Wonky for picking up on bows in quivers. The pedant in me wouldn't have let it pass (sorry Wombles ;)). As an American friend of mine said who used to regularly jumble his metaphors, that's another notch in your feather, Wonky.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 10:32:37 AM by Rossm »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 10:11:23 AM »
Good morning each and all from a cold but bright Penn in the Chilterns.

I think it's colder indoors than out because our boiler packed up yesterday so no central heating or hot water (the immersion has failed too!) Would you believe British Gas emergency people are offering 5th March to come and fix it!!

Like Coddy, I'm not sure which Wasps team will turn up today. Brad being captain will help, I'm sure, but not feeling very confident at the mo.

Puts coat and gloves back on.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 10:49:11 AM »
Morning all. Not sure what to expect today. Will Saints carry on with their momentum? Will we react well to last week? I'm thinking our front row may be able to dominate and we can build from there. Cardall and Gaskell need to have big games and it will be great to see the ongoing progress of Atkinson.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 11:01:09 AM »
Morning All.

A glorious morning in South Bucks. Dog walk was very pleasant, making a big change from the deluges that have fallen in recent days.

Very nervous about the outcome of the game. Saints have some momentum. We have to put last week behind us and rebuild some confidence. Our stats dont lie. We have conceded an average of of 30 pts a game, even when we have been playing on the front foot, enabling us to score enough points to win. Once we get put on the back foot, our game falls away and we start to take risks, which as we saw last week, cost us dearly. We have to stop Saints at source and keep them on the back foot.

Pitch conditions will probably not be suited to our top of the ground style. It will neeed real grit and determination to win this.

And then there is the not so small issue of Naiyaravoro. We will have to hit him low in the tackle, which will be the only way to stop him on a sticky pitch.

#COYW

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2021, 11:29:37 AM »
Morning. Miserable weather here, whilst this weekend the far east of the country, where my parents are, is due for some pretty white stuff. All we get is very,very wet right now.

Not sure how today will turn out. Wasps first up, and I am not optimistic but not pessimistic either. A win would be a good achievement after last week. Feel like we need to get the w soon to restore confidence or it could be rough looking at the fixtures. It was not the defeat last week, but the manner of it that was worrying.

England will be second priority, and, frankly, England win and I shrug my shoulders as they have not lost at home to them since 84, or England lose and that lovely Mr Jones with his swashbuckling rugby and charming personality get rapidly forgotten as the red wine sinks lower in the bottle.