Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 11852 times)

Cosmos

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2021, 03:06:43 PM »

That maybe the only gloss you can put on that display RossM

I thought these days were behind us, obviously not !!

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2021, 03:07:18 PM »
Did we actually nil them in the second half?
Yes. Couple of key turnovers from Oghre and forced a couple of knock ons.

MLB, RM, GO, BS & BV all had good games/appearances. Less so the rest.

Agree that Miller should start at 15, he was solid in defence and provided thrust in attack.

Almost glad we didn't score as we did not deserve it all. We need to wake up and realise we need to do the basics right first before we can go wide and try the fun stuff.

Jack9909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2021, 03:08:20 PM »
Hindsight is great but take our points in the first half and we comfortably win that.

I was screaming for Brad to stop with the stupid tap and goes that clearly weren't working. Some of the decision making was so dreadful, I don't think our forwards had a working brain cell between them today.

Oghre, vellacott, Miller and Atkinson the bright points for me. Umaga needs a good break away from the team to get his head straight, clearly not all there.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2021, 03:09:48 PM »
We need to take a very hard look at ourselves. Brainless first half handed them a huge advantage. We work our way back in despite Brookes trying to give a penalty a minute away. Then we miss touch twice!! For christs sake just take 5 yards off. Added to that Umaga still has a chance to win it and throws a terrible, terrible early forward pass when he should have drawn his man and left Kibirige walking in. Just utter frustration that we were so lacking in the basics of kicking and passing. It was better than Quins. Positives were Oghre, Vellacott (who must start), Shields who was immense and Miller who showed what full back play is all about. Thought Atkinson did ok as did Theo when he came on. I do think MLB is pushing to start at 12. We must stop giving out these huge leads.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2021, 03:10:00 PM »
Wasn’t able to watch this one but sounds like due to our first half performance we absolutely did not deserve to win that but with our second half we probably still should have won, sound about right?

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2021, 03:10:45 PM »

We did, but they didn't have to take risks with the massive lead we handed them. Ultimately, means fuck all.

Idiotic. Changes needed from who plays, but the problem is who do you bring in?

This season is a bit of a write off anyway, but we will struggle to be even in touch of the top 6 by the time the England boys are back

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2021, 03:14:33 PM »
Wasn’t able to watch this one but sounds like due to our first half performance we absolutely did not deserve to win that but with our second half we probably still should have won, sound about right?

Bang on. 2 yellows to our forwards cost us 2 tries, and a third try meant we were 22 points behind.

Second half we got it together, but it was too late.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2021, 03:16:43 PM »

We did, but they didn't have to take risks with the massive lead we handed them. Ultimately, means fuck all.

It was actually a serious question not an attempt at positivity. I didn't get to see anything as Peacock TV thought the game kicked off at 3.00pm :(
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2021, 03:19:16 PM »
He didn't do anything wrong that I saw, but Jimmy seems to be losing his talisman status. Booj definitely looked livelier when he came on and the backs looked more alert.

I appreciate that by that time we had to give it more a go, but Jimmy just didn't seem to spark.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2021, 03:21:58 PM »
He didn't do anything wrong that I saw, but Jimmy seems to be losing his talisman status. Booj definitely looked livelier when he came on and the backs looked more alert.

I appreciate that by that time we had to give it more a go, but Jimmy just didn't seem to spark.

I think,  to be fair, he looked as if he was covering too many bases.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2021, 03:29:36 PM »
Interesting comments on here......

For me Velacott & Atkinson did nothing special and Brad’s decision making was poor.

The penalties that Kieran, Jamma and JTA gave away were inexcusable and lost us the game.

Oghre was our best player. Harris battled hard; Millar played well and I don’t see a way back for Lima anytime soon sadly.

We really should have won that.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2021, 03:38:12 PM »
Seemed to me that Atkinson was trying to play more like a 13 than a 10

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2021, 04:23:00 PM »
Interesting comments on here......

For me Velacott & Atkinson did nothing special and Brad’s decision making was poor.

The penalties that Kieran, Jamma and JTA gave away were inexcusable and lost us the game.

Oghre was our best player. Harris battled hard; Millar played well and I don’t see a way back for Lima anytime soon sadly.

We really should have won that.

Vellocott played well and was able to up the tempo as soon as he came on. We played with more vigour during that last quarter just has he came on. Wolstenholme wasn’t too shabby but I felt Vellocott’s experience showed. For example, throwing that ball into Francis at the end was cheeky but smart and stems from his ability to read & manage a situation during a critical phase of the game. Had the proceeding penalty gone into touch by Umaga ...

Blackett needs to make tough but pragmatic decisions over the next couple of weeks.

BTW, any clarity of what happened to McIntyre during his minute long cameo? He hobbled off which is worrying. Our injury list had only just recovered a few ago and now it’s getting a couple players longer with each week.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2021, 04:29:41 PM »
Looked to me like he tore a calf muscle. He was heavily strapped up when he came on. It looked like a lengthy one. He probably shouldn't have played and Harris being fatigued at the end cost us a couple of scrum penalties. I think we'll see our Cornishman next week.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2021, 04:54:26 PM »
Looked to me like he tore a calf muscle. He was heavily strapped up when he came on. It looked like a lengthy one. He probably shouldn't have played and Harris being fatigued at the end cost us a couple of scrum penalties. I think we'll see our Cornishman next week.

And the Cornishman is a NZ pro.
Let me tell you something cucumber