Always a Wasp

Author Topic: How to restore confidence?  (Read 4380 times)

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: How to restore confidence?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2021, 04:52:12 PM »
We need to remember Jacob has been thrust into the first choice number 10 role mainly by Lima not working out, I'm sure a more phased transition was anticipated with him learning and sharing the role with him.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2021, 05:07:32 PM »
Well missing touch at critical times can haunt others as well, not just Burns but Sexton missed a crucial one earlier too

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2021, 05:16:02 PM »
Personally, I think Jacob was called into the England setup too early. I don't think anybody expected it. I now think it's got inside his head, hence the errors. I don't know how to exorcise the demon Eddie but it needs to be done and quick - not just for Wasps but for Jacob himself.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2021, 05:26:15 PM »
Spoiler Wales Ireland comment

Spoiler
Burns has just done the same for Ireland. Clock in the red and kicked it dead.

Gutsy performance by Ireland down to 14 from early on, deserved a win.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2021, 05:33:48 PM »
We need to remember Jacob has been thrust into the first choice number 10 role mainly by Lima not working out, I'm sure a more phased transition was anticipated with him learning and sharing the role with him.

But that's because Jacob plays the way we need our 10 to. Lima doesn't. And because he was very impressive from the Bristol game a year ago to the final. I'd argue he earned it as a result of performing well.

Similarly Smith had no transition at Quins. Instantly starting 10 amazing first season, but Gustard benched him regularly in second season and I don't remember many of his performances from that season.

Jacob might be going through same thing. I know it's popular to blame EJ here, and you guys might be right, but it might just be form or psychology completely unrelated to EJ. We don't know. But we'll give him more opportunities as well as swapping between him and Atkinson, because Atkinson isn't a bad backup. Give him time.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2021, 05:42:58 PM »
Really? I recall him having opportunities and a pathway others rarely get. He did academy, championship, played in NZ, then represented the first team, where he showed up. All whilst having access to some bloody good 10's.

Seems a reasonable graduation to me.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2021, 06:40:21 PM »
Really? I recall him having opportunities and a pathway others rarely get. He did academy, championship, played in NZ, then represented the first team, where he showed up. All whilst having access to some bloody good 10's.

Agree it's a good pathway but a lot of it wasnt playing 10, he played 12, 13 and 15, mostly in the u20s (Malins was the main 10 then), national leagues and new Zealand, admittedly with some access to good 10s but a big jump to first choice 10 week in week out in the premiership.

Agree with the Marcus Smith comparison, burst on to domestic and international seen before a quiet period which Smith has bounced back from, I am sure Jacob will too.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2021, 07:36:28 PM »
The guy that Umaga is really missing is Robson. Yes, agree his form is poor. It's amplified by his laissez faire demeanour which conveys a not caring which I don't think is true. Someone needs to tell him to forget England, practice practice practice core skills and go back to basics. The natural stuff will flow from that. However, I think he'll have to wait. Atkinson was ok yesterday and also has a bit more physicality in defence than Umaga - he keeps the shirt on merit.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2021, 08:22:51 PM »
I agree with all of that but lets not start the he's missing this player, we did that with Sops and Gops. In rugby, your going to have different combinations, you have to step up and play the game. Kicking penalties out on the full, knocking on, shanking passes, droping chips... nothing to do with the 9 on the field.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2021, 09:53:32 AM »

Agree it's a good pathway but a lot of it wasnt playing 10, he played 12, 13 and 15, mostly in the u20s (Malins was the main 10 then), national leagues and new Zealand, admittedly with some access to good 10s but a big jump to first choice 10 week in week out in the premiership.

Agree with the Marcus Smith comparison, burst on to domestic and international seen before a quiet period which Smith has bounced back from, I am sure Jacob will too.

Agree with both points here.  I think (as we've seen with and heard from Lima) the Prem is very different to playing in the Mitre Cup, there's not the same level of pressure on the 9/10 axis.  Jacob has struggled where he's been hurred, harangued and bullied as he gets the ball.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2021, 11:19:48 AM »
I agree with all of that but lets not start the he's missing this player, we did that with Sops and Gops. In rugby, your going to have different combinations, you have to step up and play the game. Kicking penalties out on the full, knocking on, shanking passes, droping chips... nothing to do with the 9 on the field.
No, quite right. He needs to practice those basics and undoubtedly is doing. I sense Blackett is of the opinion that dropping him will do more harm than good which is why we saw Miller (unfairly for me) hooked off v Saints. Be interesting to see if he goes with him v Wuss.