Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Premiership: Relegation scrapped for this season amid Covid-19 pandemic  (Read 2164 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Premiership: Relegation scrapped for this season amid Covid-19 pandemic
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 06:01:35 PM »

I think this is a unique season where no relegation and possible dead rubber games won't affect TV viewing figures.

Most rugby fans will just be happy to be able to watch some sport, regardless of who is in the match day squads, who the opposition is, or what is being played for

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2021, 08:42:33 PM »

I think this is a unique season where no relegation and possible dead rubber games won't affect TV viewing figures.

Most rugby fans will just be happy to be able to watch some sport, regardless of who is in the match day squads, who the opposition is, or what is being played for

For all our complaints in principle, last season was both competitive and entertaining.  There’s no reason why this season wouldn’t be any different. 

But I absolutely don’t want to see it be a mid-long term thing.  Hopefully it’s this season only and another season in the Champ for Saracens.

Despite the apparent promotion for Championship winners, surely we won’t have no relegation and a 13 team league for 21/22 and back to a 12 team league in 22/23 - as that’d mean no promotion, or double relegation to enable promotion.

I’m not a fan of a 13 team league.  I’d be open to 14 and losing the Premiership Cup.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 08:45:10 PM by InBetweenWasp »

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2021, 10:30:20 PM »
Absolutely agree a natural progression  would be to a 14 club division .

Unfortunately it would need the 13 shareholders and CVC to agree to selling stock to make it viable.and could a further club afford the capital outlay.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2021, 11:53:40 AM »
Legal take on this, from the always interesting Rugby & the Law website

http://rugbyandthelaw.com/2021/02/15/moratorium-premiership-rugby-relegation-legal-perspective-rfu-saracens-ealing-competition-law/

A couple of points of interest to me:

1. the statement said "likely that any season structures may also include a further moratorium on promotion and relegation for three or four seasons”. IO think most people would accept no relegation this year, and even maybe next, but 4 years seem excessive?

2. If Ealing win the championship but fail to meet the Minimum Standards Criteria (MSC), no one gets promoted.

3. No one knows what the MSC are because the current version, post the review after the London Welsh issue, is not available!

There could be quite a bit of legal activity if Sarries don't win & further from Championship clubs if ring fencing stays for any period of time

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2021, 12:02:51 PM »
It is going to be interesting to see the BT take on this.

Already a spokesman has already vented anger on the fact that suspending relegation was never mentioned during the recent contract negotiations. BT also seem to have voiced that they are against the proposals because many games will cease to be competitive. The seem to have recently intimated that they would wear the current proposal for this season only. I assume that means financial penalties or withdrawal (can't see that) due to the contract being broken.  Interesting times.
Let me tell you something cucumber