Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Edinburgh new ground completed  (Read 1258 times)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Edinburgh new ground completed
« on: February 16, 2021, 12:11:51 PM »
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/watch-see-inside-edinburgh-rugbys-new-mini-murrayfield-stadium-3136266

Was surprised that the total capacity is only 7,800. Would this meet the minimum requirements for the premiership? I’m pretty sure European competition wanted grounds to be 15,000 .

Assume they will use Murrayfield for bigger games , similar to Leinster.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Edinburgh new ground completed
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 12:38:54 PM »
Yes I got official notice of this (I am a member) and it was accompanied by various videos of the build sequence. Apart from the plastic surface it looks a nice little stadium. Be interesting to see how it copes with the prevailing winds though but they must have thought of that - you would think!

To answer your questions - it meets the Pro 14 requirements. It is built so that it can be extended. Edinburgh have, I think, pre-covid about 5K STH so the ground size was chosen to get an atmosphere. If Edinburgh get into Euro competitions then they can choose there ground to suit - 7.5K or or 67K. The benefit of being fully owned by the SRU is they have two stadia to play with.  Yes exactly like Leinster.

Being up there with Wasps just over a year ago was an experience in a basically deserted Murrayfield.
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 01:48:34 PM »
Yes I got official notice of this (I am a member) and it was accompanied by various videos of the build sequence. Apart from the plastic surface it looks a nice little stadium. Be interesting to see how it copes with the prevailing winds though but they must have thought of that - you would think!

To answer your questions - it meets the Pro 14 requirements. It is built so that it can be extended. Edinburgh have, I think, pre-covid about 5K STH so the ground size was chosen to get an atmosphere. If Edinburgh get into Euro competitions then they can choose there ground to suit - 7.5K or or 67K. The benefit of being fully owned by the SRU is they have two stadia to play with.  Yes exactly like Leinster.

Being up there with Wasps just over a year ago was an experience in a basically deserted Murrayfield.

Thanks for that
 Does look a tidy ground and as you say hopefully it’s been built on the leeward side of Murrayfield
To shelter it from prevailing wind!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 02:06:53 PM »

Thanks for that
 Does look a tidy ground and as you say hopefully it’s been built on the leeward side of Murrayfield
To shelter it from prevailing wind!

Nope - it's on the wind side (to the West of the main stadium).

WaspsUpNorth

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 05:40:53 PM »
OK if you don't mind the odd pillar in the way - looks like Scunthorpe United's "new" ground built in the 90's following the Taylor Report that they are looking to move away from.

Can't believe the SRU lack such ambition. 

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 05:43:50 PM »
OK if you don't mind the odd pillar in the way - looks like Scunthorpe United's "new" ground built in the 90's following the Taylor Report that they are looking to move away from.

Can't believe the SRU lack such ambition.

Lack of money believe it or not. Despite the CEO on mega bucks.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 07:42:02 PM »
So many pillars. What were they thinking?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 07:58:53 PM »
So many pillars. What were they thinking?

Cheap