Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Blackett hopes Odogwu will get some game time  (Read 1845 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Blackett hopes Odogwu will get some game time
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 12:08:07 AM »
Bizarre situation isn't it. He's effectively lost his place due to being selected for England. If Kibirige and Fekitoa stay fit he's basically waiting for them to be rested to get a start.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 09:14:11 AM »
Interesting quite form Blackett:

“The first time these young players go in with England, they always come back a better player. It’s a different environment, they get into the set-up, they are hungry to stay in it and definitely, even if they don’t play, they generally on the whole come back better. It’s probably more difficult if let’s say this was his third or his fourth time in camp, I’d be a bit more concerned."

Fits with what he said about Jacobs call up last season, but also hints that repeated call ups without actually playing isn't helpful...

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 09:26:48 AM »
Bizarre situation isn't it. He's effectively lost his place due to being selected for England. If Kibirige and Fekitoa stay fit he's basically waiting for them to be rested to get a start.

This. Have said it from the outset. Paolo is a good player bit until recently was a winger. Suddenly with two or three outings at centre he make international level. Having been fed the Eddie mantra is he going to be happy coming back and playing second fiddle. Sadly picked too soon and maybe the wrong country.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 09:38:26 AM »
He doesn't have a cap yet so the door to Italy isn't closed yet.  Isn't that what happened to Redpath - in the squad but no game so ends up playing for Scotland?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 10:17:36 AM »
He doesn't have a cap yet so the door to Italy isn't closed yet.  Isn't that what happened to Redpath - in the squad but no game so ends up playing for Scotland?

True.
Let me tell you something cucumber

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 10:50:45 AM »
Whilst it may be a scenario where he plays second-fiddle, I also think it helps Blackett rotate players without losing out much.  Kibirige, Paolo and Malakai could easily rotate to help with rest and keeping all fit and firing without a drop in performance, or cohesion in the team (at least, not in my opinion).

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 11:02:24 AM »
Whilst it may be a scenario where he plays second-fiddle, I also think it helps Blackett rotate players without losing out much.  Kibirige, Paolo and Malakai could easily rotate to help with rest and keeping all fit and firing without a drop in performance, or cohesion in the team (at least, not in my opinion).
Good point . Unfortunately one of them is likely to be injured or a niggle at any one time as we have seen , so to have two available is ideal

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 11:41:24 AM »
Yes, unfortunately injuries normally mean straightforward either or situations don't normally occur. I do wonder if we ever needed him there whether Odogwu could do full back. Good under the high ball, doesn't dislike a tackle and could be hitting and busting the line at pace. Not really suggesting it's a tactic, just a remote possibility.

BdeB

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 03:02:32 PM »

I am pretty sure that Fekitoa has been capped at 12. I would love to see a centre combo of him at 12 and PO at 13. I know we like a playmaker at 12 usually but that pairing would scare the life out of the opposition and definitely give us some go forward.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 04:36:27 PM »
Good point . Unfortunately one of them is likely to be injured or a niggle at any one time as we have seen , so to have two available is ideal

This is the case and being able to play 13 or wing means a better class of cover. We're getting better at this at 12 too with Mike le B looking v comfortable there and with Ryan fit soon, we'll be very well covered across the outside backs.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 04:57:28 PM »
I would love to see a centre combo of him at 12 and PO at 13

there is also a bit of me that would love that too!!

the problem would be that a mid field like that would be pretty predictable, either the 12 or 13 is going to smash it up & there might be some wingers getting cold & bored as well :)

But obviously they could be some more intricate play around those two!

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2021, 11:53:58 PM »

I am pretty sure that Fekitoa has been capped at 12. I would love to see a centre combo of him at 12 and PO at 13. I know we like a playmaker at 12 usually but that pairing would scare the life out of the opposition and definitely give us some go forward.
I was beginning to think I was the only one who could remember Fekitoa winning a few caps at 12 for NZ.