Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Injury Updates  (Read 2474 times)

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Injury Updates
« on: February 18, 2021, 06:31:25 AM »
Barbeary is recovering well but is “definitely over a month away”. That puts him on a similar timeline to Launchbury (stress fracture). Young is out for one more week as he recovers from concussion.

Other injuries:
McIntyre (calf) - no timeline for return 
Mills (foot) - mid March return
J Willis (knee) - no timeline for return 
Alo (hand) - mid April return
Watson (Achilles) - end March return
Porter (hamstring) - no timeline for return
Sopoaga (calf) - end February return

Neither De Jongh or Curran are on the list which unless are accidental omissions means they’ve  recovered from their injuries.

Non-injury related news mentioned in article is that Rowlands is in contention for Saturday’s game and that this is the last week of Oghre’s suspension.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-squad-updates-leicester-tigers-19862175

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Injury Updates
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 07:58:05 AM »
I thought Marcus had recovered and was just getting back to fitness? Is he injured again?

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 09:50:55 AM »
Some big absences there. Looks like we won't have too much choice for the team this weekend again in some positions and units like back row. 

Really disappointed that Mills' injury continues to drag out. He will effectively miss the season

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 10:30:58 AM »
Spink is another one possibly out still I think.

A few of the youngsters (spink, Curran, Porter) do seem to pick up a lot of niggles - being pushed too much too young or just inevitable?

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 11:11:30 AM »

A few of the youngsters (spink, Curran, Porter) do seem to pick up a lot of niggles - being pushed too much too young or just inevitable?

The former. Dupont and Jalibert were injured early in there international careers against Ireland. It's the risk when pushing young players.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 11:44:06 AM »

The former. Dupont and Jalibert were injured early in there international careers against Ireland. It's the risk when pushing young players.

Also suspect overkeen to impress pushing themselves beyond the sensible.
Let me tell you something cucumber

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 12:01:12 PM »

Agreed

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 01:14:39 PM »
The worrying one for me is McIntyre. Looked to have got himself well tuned up for this season but constantly out.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 05:29:27 PM »
Watson, Mac and Mills are a concern....always seem injured

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 06:09:13 PM »
The worrying one for me is McIntyre. Looked to have got himself well tuned up for this season but constantly out.
I know the conditioning team will be across this, but it does look like he's put a lot of bulk on round his arms, chest and shoulders and I was wondering if he's putting abnormal pressure on his knees and lower legs? Running with that weight must be a tremendous amount of stress.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 08:09:21 PM »
I know the conditioning team will be across this, but it does look like he's put a lot of bulk on round his arms, chest and shoulders and I was wondering if he's putting abnormal pressure on his knees and lower legs? Running with that weight must be a tremendous amount of stress.

I dunno
It's hard to tell
His chest has always been massive

Perspective is always tricky on tv

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 08:41:39 PM »
Watson, Mac and Mills are a concern....always seem injured
Didn't Mills spend a long time injured at Wuss, prior to joining us?
It was fine when I left it.....

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 09:05:29 PM »

I dunno
It's hard to tell
His chest has always been massive

Perspective is always tricky on tv

Weight quoted season 16/17.  122kg   This season 118 kg. Perhaps lost weight off stomach to make top part look bigger?

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 09:34:53 PM »

Really disappointed that Mills' injury continues to drag out. He will effectively miss the season

Yes it clearly hasn’t gone to plan. When he got injured in training last September he was expected to be back by late December. Then in early January Blackett said Mills’ return “will be similar times with Malakai in terms of coming back” i.e. late January. The last update added another 4-5 week delay to that.

Since joining in July 2020, he’s played 5 games (4 in August & 1 in September) for a total of 280 minutes. BB’s average player rating for those games was a not too shabby 6.7 out of 10.

The one positive is that Gopperth, who Mills was/is earmarked to replace, has publicly stated he wants to continue playing into next season and possibly beyond. That somewhat eases the pressure.

I thought Marcus had recovered and was just getting back to fitness? Is he injured again?

Yes his return from a 3+ month groin injury only lasted a single game (Bath in January) and now he is out with an achilles injury.

Agree - I said that earlier this year with Barbeary and look what happened. Atkinson is another one who worries me.

Agreed

The growing disparity between weight/size of younger backs and the trend for bulkier forwards isn’t helping either.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 11:05:06 PM »
I expect Booj to be close to nailing the 12 shirt before long. He has advanced his game well since joining Wasps. Potentially another GT.