Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Leicester Tigers v Wasps post match thoughts.  (Read 5043 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Leicester Tigers v Wasps post match thoughts.
« on: February 20, 2021, 05:06:53 PM »
There are 2 non negotiables in rugby;

1: From first whistle to last you play at 100%
2: You put your body on the line with the greatest physicality      you can muster.

First off well done Tigers, Borthwick is creating the style of old that serves them so well. Top 6 is a strong possibility for them. For us, well, it pains me to say this but I was embarrassed today. When i saw the teams i held little hope for us winning, too many key players missing. But equally this was a chance for those playing to establish themselves...they did not.

We were second in EVERY facet of the game, but worst of all we were scared...Rowlands and Brookes stepping out of tackles, Umaga avoiding catching the high ball. Then where is that 100% commitment? No where to be seen, no control in the set piece, no backs to the wall attempts when being beaten in the maul...no rush to get back to support the ball carrier running it from the back and minimal during our limited phase play.

At one stage we had 19% possession.....19%!!! But if you are scared and not putting in your all then it is probably more than we deserve.

Today we saw a side not capable, not capable of posing a threat, a challenge. Not capable of going further in Europe. Not capable of being considered top 6 material. If this team want respect and our support then this must be the line in the sand.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Leicester Tigers v Wasps post match thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 05:21:30 PM »
I agree. There can only be so many games where "it was one of those games/nothing went our way" before you say it's down to us to make it improve.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 05:23:22 PM »
It was a truly awful game to watch. A complete and utter train wreck.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 05:34:11 PM »
My deepest admiration for any body  who managed to watch all (or any)  of that match.  I lasted 20 minutes.  O M G.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 05:36:46 PM »
My deepest admiration for any body  who managed to watch all (or any)  of that match.  I lasted 20 minutes.  O M G.

Wine, wine and more wine made it happen.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 05:38:49 PM »
Wasps were bullied by the Leicester forwards and we could not match their physicality.

We are really missing our unavailable players.

Miserable watching.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 05:39:29 PM »

Lasted 50 mins then flicked between that and Exeter Northampton. Now onto cider.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 05:44:20 PM »
I didn't manage to watch the whole thing.

Decided to clean the kitchen instead.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 05:45:20 PM »
I think we should give a lot of credit to Leicester.

They played their game very well and we couldn't counter it. Wiggelsworth's box kicking was spot on and they chased well. When they kicked longer they knew who or where they were targeting, and why, and again their chasers were  were ready.

They successfully smothered our game by denying the opportunity to get the ball out and play some flowing rugby. That they got pinged for offside a few times at our lineouts shows how much they were up for it. And lets face it, the way that offside is ref'd they must have been well offside to get pinged. 

On the other hand we had no counter to their game, the back 3 looked like they'd never met at times when it came to defence against their kicks. We never looked like running the ball back with interest because they weren't given the chance.

Its become a bit of a hobby horse, but we've got to get better at starting games. That's 8/10 (not 9/11 as I said in the match thread) where we've gone behind first. There's something wrong there, are they doing too much in the warm-up, because psychologically going behind first isn't great, especially when you're on a bit of a bad run and confidence is low.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 05:46:07 PM »

Wine, wine and more wine made it happen.
Bottles of Guinness for me. Wine later.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 05:47:33 PM »
I persevered and watched the entire game. :'(

Now thoroughly p*ssed off and frustrated.  There was so much whistle. Game, for me at least, was very disjointed. All tries came from forward mauls and we did seem to have an answer to theirs.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 05:58:58 PM »
I’m really hoping we have a couple of tight head props lined up.

Brookes is a strong scrummager but prone to brain farts. I have to hold my breath when he enters mauls and tackles as he does so many stupid things. And his attempt to tackle Wiese was shameful.

JTA is not a scrummager and he too does so many stupid things. He hasn’t got to grips with the English game.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 06:00:54 PM »
The red card summed up the performance for me pretty soft, in a derby at least you want to go down swinging.

Only things I can take from today was my reading of the Tigers pack power in the teams up thread was unfortunately right and even for a Wasps fan 22/1 for Wiese to score the first try was too big to ignore.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 06:25:58 PM »
I think Lee has a few things to sort out. 1) Why are we starting so slowly. 2) Why is our discipline slipping. Selection wise I don't think we can continue with Minozzi at FB. It's costing us endless points and territory with him under the high ball. He's not offering as much as Miller or Sopoaga in attack. Unpalatable one but is Jimmy working at 12? For me, Douglas is a nice contrast to Gaskell - Rowlands head didn't seem right for Saints or today. I like Shields as captain and think that should remain. Lots of issues coming out of the last few games. I don't think it's a serious problem for us at full strength but the last batch of games has, I think exposed a bit of a lack of depth.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 06:39:19 PM »
I think Lee has a few things to sort out. 1) Why are we starting so slowly. 2) Why is our discipline slipping. Selection wise I don't think we can continue with Minozzi at FB. It's costing us endless points and territory with him under the high ball. He's not offering as much as Miller or Sopoaga in attack. Unpalatable one but is Jimmy working at 12? For me, Douglas is a nice contrast to Gaskell - Rowlands head didn't seem right for Saints or today. I like Shields as captain and think that should remain. Lots of issues coming out of the last few games. I don't think it's a serious problem for us at full strength but the last batch of games has, I think exposed a bit of a lack of depth.
That's about where I am after that game. I wonder how many players starting are carrying injuries that normally would mean not being selected. We've got an almost endless injury list, and too many players look off the pace, mentally as well as physically.

We just weren't at the races - but it might just be the last 23 standing.....