Always a Wasp

Author Topic: BB suggested team adjustments  (Read 1365 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: BB suggested team adjustments
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 11:51:58 AM »
Actually don't disagree with any of those but the critical choice is a scrum half for me. Depends who is standing but for me Vellacott was very slow.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 11:59:44 AM »
Actually don't disagree with any of those but the critical choice is a scrum half for me. Depends who is standing but for me Vellacott was very slow.

I posted in other threads how disappointed I was with Benji. I really expected a lot more from him. However, apart from him and Alex Schwarz, who else is fit and available?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 12:02:02 PM »
I would be thinking of selecting Oghre at 7. Tough on Ben Morris I know but we need a jackeller.

I’m assuming JTA wii start at tighthead - any thoughts about who will be replacement 3?

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 12:22:51 PM »
I'd agree with all of those.  Brookes obviously won't be available anyway, so will be forced into a change there.

Think Umaga back as starting 10 makes sense as they look to rebuild his confidence.  But can he thrive in the same way without Robson alongside him?  BB mentions the penalty that was kicked deep into the corner, but for me he was trying his luck too much again there.  I can't have been alone in watching the TJ edge ever closer to the corner flag as he followed the kick and thinking "Oh no, not again!".  He's missed touch too many times lately and perhaps should have been a bit more cautious.  5 or even 10 metres further back and there'd be no complaints from anyone.  Half a metre more would have been in goal and I may have needed a new telly! :)  Does at least show that his confidence is still high though, and his cross field kick for Zach was bang on the money.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 12:38:30 PM »
Was surprised that BB thought that Miller and Minozzi were similar in stature. Miller is a couple of inches taller at 5 ‘ 11 and whilst that doesn’t seem a great deal of difference he comes in a couple of stone heavier. Might be that this bit of bulk allows him to shake challenges off. Think Minozzi is better suited for us a winger anyway.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 01:37:23 PM »

I'm still willing to give Vellacott the benefit of the doubt.

Against Leicester the whole team were off the pace and we had very few opportunities where quick ball was even a consideration.

I'd like to compare his performance when he has some front foot ball.
We may see a whole different player, which may build some confidence and improve his all round performances.

Over the years there's been so many complaints about either Simmo or Robson being dreadfully slow, and it was usually when they've either come back from injury, not being given a run of games or we've been completely under the cosh by the opposition.

Let's see if we can give him some front foot ball and see how he builds from there

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 02:48:04 PM »
My main concern was that Benji put Wiggle under no pressure at all.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 02:50:24 PM »
This is not the same Vellacott that left the Donkeys nor the one who played in the 7s.   He needs confidence to play like that again after so long out but I am not sure First Team maulings are the way to get that. Phipps is as worldly as Wiggy.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 03:01:25 PM »
I still think Atkinson is in better form than Umaga. He is vocal, physical, and far less prone to brain farts.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 03:40:58 PM »
Some interesting thoughts. For me Miller for Minozzi is a no brainer. Gives our back three far greater stability and a cleverer player in attack. LH I think I'd stick with West. Harris has more impact off the bench. Cruse at hooker. TH will be interesting. JTA will start. Is Owlett fit? I'd go with Douglas and Gaskell. On balance I think I'd start Vailanu for no other reason than give Tom Willis a break. Scrum half will depend on who is fit. I'd play Le Bourgeois at 12 but I'd slot Jimmy in at 10.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 09:00:26 PM »
Jimmy's only played two games at 10 in 3 season's apparently, so I don't think he'd do many better