Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Do you play leavers?  (Read 995 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Do you play leavers?
« on: February 22, 2021, 08:27:17 PM »
After the Tigers defeat I've seen a few suggestions and had the thoughts myself that some performances may be dipping if players know they are destined for other clubs at the end of the season. We only know the ones announced for sure but there will be others we don't know about. I wonder what others think about whether in principle it's wise to play those who know they are off? Ignoring the fact that injuries may force it is it beneficial? Can you really not play at full throttle in a game of rugby? Is it human nature to ease off if you're not part of the long term plan? Do others even think this has had a bearing on individuals performances. It's a fairly unique situation in rugby given the way contracts are negotiated and it gives cause to this scenario being a factor.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Do you play leavers?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 08:58:34 PM »
Yes. Next question?

They're part of the squad, I imagine anyone that isn't pulling their weight doesn't get away with it in training.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 09:39:38 PM »
Yes for me.
 Play them. History of most leavers has been pretty good for Wasps. Obviously there will be those like Daly, who did not impress in his last months, but many have headed towards retirement or other clubs playing well and giving their all for the shirt. Don't confuse an abject performance from the team as a whole with a lack of desire from bunch of guys who are leaving. We played badly, but it us too easy to blame a lack of effort on the part of leavers; several players who will be here next year had bad games last week too.
Pick the team on merit, not on who will be here next year. That for me would be Cruse over Taylor, but not because one is leaving.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 09:44:23 PM by westwaleswasp »

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 11:01:11 PM »
My view is that you have to pick your strongest matchday squad from those available. The coaches know from training during the week, which players are up for it.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 11:39:14 PM »
I think Rowlands was in a difficult position as he knows he's almost certain to be in the Welsh 23 if fit. So maybe he was a bit less physical than normal subconsciously. That's why I was surprised he started. I thought he'd be better suited as a sub.

I'm sure he will give everything up to the end of the season and leaving will not have any affect on his commitment or effort.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 10:22:34 AM »
I don't really understand the question.
Every match should be about picking the best team to win that match.
If the best team contains players who are leaving at the end of the season so be it.
If players who are leaving at the end of the season either aren't in form or look like they can't be bothered then they shouldn't be selected because they wouldn't be in the best team at that moment.

I certainly wouldn't suggest that with Wasps current depleted squad the coaches can afford to be dropping players who are playing well simply because they are off in a few months.
IMO the 2 confirmed leavers, Taylor & Rowlands, who played on Saturday didn't look like they didn't want to be there or weren't trying....