Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Morning all!  (Read 1051 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Morning all!
« on: February 27, 2021, 06:13:28 AM »
Good morning all Waspies from a quiet Guildford. Once more in the race between myself and the lark I have emerged from my pit before my feathered adversary. Whilst he is still dreaming of full bird feeders and a nest full of chicks I have the coffee on the go, whilst preparing to take a walk to th shop to grab today’s newspaper and absorb the build up to our boys taking on Irish and our opponents in red across the Severn.

For our Lads in black and gold, today is all about effort, effort in the tackle, effort in the set piece, effort in attack and also effort in defence. Last week was like watching the energiser bunny when the batteries are going flat. Yes the movement is there, but it was all that little bit slower, and you knew a simple push would knock our furry friend off his paws and onto his cotton tail. That same fragility so apparent against Tigers cannot be repeated today. All the team need to show up, but some such as ogre and rowlands need to make amends just a little more. If we play to our potential we can win. However we must put an 80 minute effort in, as you know Irish -who nearly completed a remarkable comeback against Bristol last week - will be giving their all.

And then to England v Wales. It needs little introduction..Yes the pubs will not be heaving today (that day is coming), No streets packed with foreign invaders clad in white with the red rose proudly standing singing swing low, whilst red clothed defenders unite to sing bread of heaven with equal feverish revere. No boiling atmosphere will be in the stands, however this will still be there in every rugby loving household across both countries today. Both Wales and England have been misfiring this tournament, and both equally could win or lose this. Eddies boys look clunky, void of attacking coherence and out of sorts. However there is also this little feeling that if everything clicks, if the misfire on the England chariot is corrected and the power can come through, then an irresistible force could be released to overwhelm whatever Wales have in store. Yet equally have we the mechanic in Eddie who is able to realise this? Wales have their own grease lightening in young Rees Zammit. He has all the potential and ability to be a quality test player for many years, and it gladdens the soul to see that rugby is still a game for all shapes and sizes where orcs and billy whizzes can still play side by side. Any team with AWJ at the helm will be competitive, and he inspires others to follow, especially at home. Wales do have the ability to get the triple crown, yet like England they have an underlying fragility. Faced with 14 men in opposition for very significant portions of both their opening tests should of meant finishing the stronger, however on both occasions they were hanging on both physically and psychologically...more a marathon runner on both knees lurching for the finish rather than a sprinter flying through the finishing tape. This has been a surprise to me, and something that a very intelligent man such as Pivac would not of missed. Maybe this is what inspired the ‘ive not seen them fitter’ comment from the Welsh this week?

Both games could go either way, both are horribly difficult to call.  Results could lead to either rugby nirvana with victory, or the unthinkable emotions of defeat. But the unknown is what keeps us loving our game and coming back time after time. It is the same risk and reward as the regular pre match stadium bought pie. It can either leave you happy, full and content, or sitting on the loo with your head in your hands and your bowels all over the place.....and we would not have it any other way!

Come on Wasps and Come on England!!!

Chris

Once a Wasp, ALWAYS a Wasp!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 06:35:51 AM by Wombles »

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Morning all!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 07:11:11 AM »
Morning all from a very misty North Dorset.

If the forecast is right its going to be another glorious day, weather wise. Not sure about the rugby.

I'll settle for another ugly win and no more injuries and red cards at the Ricoh.

I can't decide about Cardiff. My heart want an England win, my head doesn't care. Its not and England side playing the sort of game that sets expectations a flutter. It says something that if offered a ticket for their next game at HQ I'd probably turn it down.

#COYW

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 07:52:27 AM »
Good morning all. A golden but frosty one in Hastings. Such exceptional light. Is it any wonder that artists were, and still are, so attracted by the English south coast?
If we play as we know we can, then it should be quite a game. But if we look as we have in recent games, then it will be an uncomfortable afternoon. Let's hope today's the day our mojo returns.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 08:19:53 AM »
Morning all.

Glorious but chilly morning here in S Bucks.

Much trepidation again today, regarding the outcome of our game against Irish. Bookies still have us as favourites to win, but they have got it wrong far too ofter in recent weeks.

7 changes from last week. Mind you, I see that Tigers have rested 11 from the team that played against us last week.

Fingers crossed that our lads can deliver the right result today.

As for England, listening to Eddie on BBC Breakfast, he doesn't actually inspire you to believe that he knows what he's doing. Wales should be favourites, but with no crowd in the stadium, it's a funny old game.

#COYW

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 09:11:56 AM »
G'day from a misty but soon to be sunny South Glos.

Given the state of the squad in terms of those missing and that it really does look like we're only just able to field a 23 even with loan players - I'd hope for a performance to draw a line in the sand a little, after last week.

As for England - Wales, if England don't click, it's going to be a long afternoon. My main concern about England is having seen how Jones has left so many of the teams he coached (in tatters.....) and with yet another weird selection  in Martin, it's almost as if England are losing the plot.

Short of a backrow/flanker? Choose a man with less Prem appearances than the Quins 8 had tries this season.....or choose Brad Shields, ex 'Canes skipper or Nick Isiekwe, who has been on hot form for more than a season?

Probably sprint 50m to score the winning try.....Just hoping England don't kick as badly as vs Scotland to a back three with Williams and Zammitt ready to pounce......

MarleyWasp

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 09:17:43 AM »
Morning all. After the last few weeks I'd happily take a 3-0 win today. Irish are developing into a good team and will be a strong test for us. I just hope the concentration levels are high straight from the off today, otherwise it'll be another uncomfortable afternoon's viewing.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 09:18:03 AM »
Good morning everyone.   Twenty minutes ago we had a beautiful view of the mountain in the sunshine with a sprinkling of little clouds -  and now all we can see is fog! I think the mountain is still there.  Somewhere.  It should re-appear later on.  Sir has toddled off to the next village for a  paper  and I am trying to ignore a laundry basket full of dirty washing.  I  will be watching/recording the matches this afternoon and  backing Wales ( and Robbo if he gets onto the field) and hoping that the Wasps first XV turn up today. Tho' with this ref  it probably wouldn't make much difference. Thermos flask, sarnies, Tunnocks Tea Cakes  (the messy ones) and ear plugs are ready and waiting behind the settee.  I really  really hope I'm wrong but I feel gloomy about our match but I'm hoping for a pleasant surprise.  Alleez Allez Allez   and            C O Y W.  Safe journey to you all wherever you may be . . . . .  even if it is only behind the settee.         

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 09:26:36 AM »
Morning all!

I suspect today is going to be a long day, but we can still field a team and in the end win or lose we aren't gonna be relegated so I'm going to try to enjoy it regardless.

As to England, I'd completely forgotten they were even playing. Guess that shows how little I care these days.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 09:41:43 AM »
Morning all,
Beautiful morning in Coventry today so it’s time for us to get ready and go for a walk. Our mutt is pleading with us to hurry up.
I am worried that the Irish scrum will have us on toast today.
I fear the worst I’m afraid.
As for England’s chances - I’m not concerned to be honest.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 10:16:59 AM »
Morning all from a gloriously sunny but fresh Essex with the frost now burnt away. A lovely walk with the dogs across the fields near me ( the two main herds of deer must have come together to form one vista of 150 in one field , whilst the escaped black and white goats looked like belted Galloways in the next) has left me a bit more optimistic about today. Hopefully Rowlands will feel he has something to prove and that the Ogre will want to redeem himself.

Anyway the food has been sorted and the drinks will be arranged to hand for hopefully an entertaining afternoon of sport.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 10:54:00 AM »
Morning all and best wishes to you and yours.

Another beautiful morning here today, marred slightly by a slight hangover from too many late Brew Dogs last night.

Here's to a great game, Come on You Wasps!

Notso

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 12:09:53 PM »
Morning (afternoon) all. I think we'll see a reaction from last week. That, coupled with Oghre getting us some turnover ball should be enough. I've a funny feeling Jacob will have a big game. Irish have some big names but I'm glad Albert Tuisue isn't playing. We mustn't kick to Parton too often - he's more than useful running it back.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 12:11:42 PM »
Morning everyone.
Lovely day here in Wales.
Hope the lads come up with spring cheer for us all.
Been out in the garden yesterday planning what to plant and where.
Will be watching England in a different room to the wife. Wasps definitely the main event though.
Last year my dad and I watched the home game followed by heading into Coventry Welsh for the international Wales England and that was the last live match I attended before lockdown.