Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 6N TV Rights again  (Read 1063 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
6N TV Rights again
« on: March 12, 2021, 10:08:04 AM »
https://mol.im/a/9352559

Bound to happen. CVC probably pushing their favourite Sky to get involved. 
Let me tell you something cucumber

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: 6N TV Rights again
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 10:52:43 AM »
I just hope it ends up somewhere that lets me subscribe just for the 6 nations. I don't mind subscribing for two months while the 6 nations is on but I won't be paying for a full year of dross I won't watch.

So, Amazon would do (or Netflix or other streamers if they are interested) or maybe Sky with the Now TV Sports packs if I've understood how that works. Not BT Sport for me. Preferably BBC of course.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 11:37:41 AM »
There are going to be a wide range of happy or unhappy people.

I personally wouldn't want it at Sky, as I don't have it and it would probably mean Stuart Barnes commentating.

Every other option pretty much works for me, I have amazon anyway but 2 months is only £16, BT Sport I get with Virgin

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 11:39:56 AM »
whilst I would always want the 6 nations on terrestrial free to air TV, sadly both ITV & BBC coverage is terrible. They wheel out the same dated pundits most of whom haven't played or coached for years, spouting the same nonsense. Its only Sky, BT & more lately Amazon that have brought coverage into the 21st century. And even Sky persist with Stuart Barnes so they've fallen into the comfort zone of way past it commentators

Also given that the majority of people have some form of subscription TV or subscribe to single events (netflix, amazon prime, disney etc) it may be time for ITV & BBC to give up and let such events go....

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 12:15:42 PM »
Have I got my figures wrong ? CVC have paid six nations £365 million for 5 years commercial rights . To get their money back will need around £73 m per annum . They will get 14.3% of earnings so amount each year six nations needs to generate £510 million. Current tv Deal is £90 m . Do other commercial rights bring in that sort of money? Even if they double tv rights to £180 m still seems a lot from other sources. And that’s without a profit for them

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 12:27:22 PM »
Have I got my figures wrong ? CVC have paid six nations £365 million for 5 years commercial rights . To get their money back will need around £73 m per annum . They will get 14.3% of earnings so amount each year six nations needs to generate £510 million. Current tv Deal is £90 m . Do other commercial rights bring in that sort of money? Even if they double tv rights to £180 m still seems a lot from other sources. And that’s without a profit for them

This is only for the UK TV rights so you can add whatever CVC get for France, Ireland, and Italy (and worldwide) TV rights. Although that won't change your point much, it does look like CVC have over-estimated the 6 Nations for just a 5 year investment.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 12:32:43 PM »
Some chat about this on Eggchasers this week as the Top14 has just closed it's biggest TV Rights deal ever, in a Global Pandemic and an economic downturn.

Some debate over whether it's because it's a better product, or because there were multiple bidders or they're appealing to newer markets. 

One tidbit that came out of the discussions re: Sky is that Sky's strategy is, apparently, to continue moving away from Sports coverage and instead focus on creating it's own Entertainment Content.

Another interesting point was that rather than trying to appeal to fans of, say, Football or trying to appeal to Women, perhaps PRL should work on trying to appeal to the casual fan who will watch an International game, but not a Club game.

Which makes sense.  So if CVC are hoping to grow revenues by putting the 6N to Sky, it will likely restrict growth of existing PRL viewers/BT Sport subscribers. 

I really liked the Amazon coverage and really like the BT Sport coverage so would be happy with either.  From a tech perspective, give me Amazon and the ability to go in and restart coverage from the beginning at my leisure.