Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Lee - Wasps 'harshly done to' but 'must learn lessons'  (Read 920 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Lee - Wasps 'harshly done to' but 'must learn lessons'
« on: March 07, 2021, 09:27:45 AM »
Wasps conceded 14 penalties in their latest defeat to Gloucester Rugby at the Ricoh Arena in round 12 of the Gallagher Premiership

Bobby Bridge reports:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-gloucester-lee-blackett-rugby-19983345
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Lee - Wasps 'harshly done to' but 'must learn lessons'
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 10:10:16 AM »
That's actually quite an interesting stat / headline.

I believe there were 10 penalties in the first 30 minutes
Therefore only 4 in the remaining 50.

Admittedly we had a man advantage for most of that time so should have had the upper hand

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 10:17:35 AM »
I don't buy that we were harshly done to.  We didn't have a player red carded in the first half.  But we did fail to win a game at home, against a depleted team who were down a man.

It may well be we have a reputation for poor discipline, but that just means we need to tread more carefully for a few games.

No blaming the ref for this one.  It was players and coaches 100%
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 11:33:48 AM »
That's actually quite an interesting stat / headline.

I believe there were 10 penalties in the first 30 minutes
Therefore only 4 in the remaining 50.

Admittedly we had a man advantage for most of that time so should have had the upper hand

I thought the half time stats on the screen only said nine penalties, but still too many if were in first  30 mins

Sting

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 11:35:30 AM »
I don't buy that we were harshly done to.  We didn't have a player red carded in the first half.  But we did fail to win a game at home, against a depleted team who were down a man.

It may well be we have a reputation for poor discipline, but that just means we need to tread more carefully for a few games.

No blaming the ref for this one.  It was players and coaches 100%
+1
These are the same players who went on the amazing run last year. We have the talent but something is going wrong.
The players execute how they are coaches/told to execute. Attack patterns, restarts, exits, mauls, defence. This does not excuse poor execution, silly mistakes or penalties so both players and coaches need up their game. Blackett may need take a hairdryer to his coaching staff. Discipline (and respect for the opposition, team mates and the team) starts on the training field. I suspect player indiscipline on the training field is going unchecked and is therefore carrying over into games.