Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Dallaglio interview  (Read 906 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Dallaglio interview
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 11:29:22 AM »
Great piece and gives a good account of own mentality,and if wasps need to know the type of captain they need at the moment it’s there.

Unfortunately I happened to be there at Wembley in 99. The realisation of what was going to happen at the end was horrible.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 09:46:39 AM »
Great interview, he is the reason I'm a Wasps fan, great player, leader and individual. I jokingly refer to him as "God" in our house, but in sporting terms, he is exactly that to me.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 11:22:39 AM »
Thanks for sharing!

Not sure how many others might have listened to Any Sting Goes recently - the one with Gaskell on, but a pretty lengthy chat about leadership on that which was interesting.

Gaskell spoke about being given the Captaincy at Sale very young (20 or early 20's) and not really being ready for it and would often simply pass-through comments from Cueto, or Hodgson.  He says, with hindsight, he would have politely declined the offer to Captain and focussed on his game a little more until he had more experience.

They spoke about Launchbury and how leadership/captaincy has really evolved, very little of the shouting or geeing up and talk about it being much more of a non-gameday type role.  Speaking in their team meetings, as well as generally keeping an eye on the boys and making sure that all was ok outside of their club life.

I also feel that on the pitch, Launchbury leads by example, but doesn't always seem like a leader (if that makes sense?) he's not often talking to other players, or the team that much and although getting better, his engagements with the Ref some times leave a bit to be desired.  There's plenty of times I would rather he took a slightly stronger line with the ref, not in a forceful sense but to politely enquire about a decision and explain why he was doing vs what the ref thought he'd seen - 2 or 3 times he's been pinged in mauls that commentators disagree with, for example. 

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 04:50:58 PM »
Great interview, he is the reason I'm a Wasps fan, great player, leader and individual. I jokingly refer to him as "God" in our house, but in sporting terms, he is exactly that to me.
Same, this guy is a god in my view, he had something you couldnt buy.