Always a Wasp

Author Topic: scrum penaltys  (Read 1684 times)

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
scrum penaltys
« on: March 08, 2021, 11:15:22 AM »
watched harlequins vs. Northampton yesterday some good rugby played but I only remember 1 Northampton scrum where they din't milk a penalty also a few of harlys put ins, it became quite depressing, surely this is not the way rugby should be played, the scrum should just be a way of restarting the game not a penalty machine, by all means award a free kick if you have the upper hand. Is there any other game where your penalised  for not being as good as your opoinent, anyway harleys were better in every other respect. 

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: scrum penaltys
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 11:17:13 AM »
watched harlequins vs. Northampton yesterday some good rugby played but I only remember 1 Northampton scrum where they din't milk a penalty also a few of harlys put ins, it became quite depressing, surely this is not the way rugby should be played, the scrum should just be a way of restarting the game not a penalty machine, by all means award a free kick if you have the upper hand. Is there any other game where your penalised  for not being as good as your opoinent, anyway harleys were better in every other respect.

+1

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 11:36:48 AM »
+2, a very frustrating aspect of the game

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 11:43:51 AM »
+3

Barnes is usually quite good at telling the scrum half to use the ball rather than penalise. That is as it should be. We seem to be reverting in a number of ways.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 12:12:35 PM »
Wasps have been guilty of that in recent games and having it backfire.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 12:18:11 PM »
Fully agree that number of penalties should be reduced to free kick, and that Wasps are better when getting quick ball from the scrum.

Perhaps where teams are trying to "milk" penalties should be interpreted as bringing the game into disrepute :),

<edit>or refs should call use it as the ball is put into the scrum, giving the team 5 seconds to get it out,  not when it sits at the foot of no. 8 and the scrum creaks as they try to milk a penalty.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 12:24:55 PM by RogerE »

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 01:03:02 PM »
There should be no need to call 'USE IT'. They know what they are supposed to do. Also the caterpillar should be extinct. I am distressed to see that it is appearing to be adopted by us.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 01:17:56 PM »
There should be no need to call 'USE IT'. They know what they are supposed to do. Also the caterpillar should be extinct. I am distressed to see that it is appearing to be adopted by us.

Couldn't agree more

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 01:35:02 PM »
I don’t think there should be a time limit as such, after all a good scrum is a thing to behold , and which makes it different from league. Perhaps it’s the distance the scrum has moved- after it’s moved forward,say 2 metres it should have come out the back anyway.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 01:48:18 PM »
I don’t think there should be a time limit as such, after all a good scrum is a thing to behold , and which makes it different from league. Perhaps it’s the distance the scrum has moved- after it’s moved forward,say 2 metres it should have come out the back anyway.

Yes but how often are we seeing "good scrums". There seems to be reset after reset which inevitably ends up in a penalty. Even for an ex-forward it is boring!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 01:54:39 PM »
A scrum just does not drive forward for any distance any more.  Sides seem to prefer to hold it until the other side is penalised, rather than look to use their superiority in the scrum to demonstrate their superiority in the scrum.  When did any of us last see a number 8 score a pushover try from a scrum?  A thing of beauty, but a rare beast indeed these days.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 02:35:29 PM »
A scrum just does not drive forward for any distance any more.  Sides seem to prefer to hold it until the other side is penalised, rather than look to use their superiority in the scrum to demonstrate their superiority in the scrum.  When did any of us last see a number 8 score a pushover try from a scrum?  A thing of beauty, but a rare beast indeed these days.

Agreed

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 02:38:17 PM »
A scrum just does not drive forward for any distance any more.  Sides seem to prefer to hold it until the other side is penalised, rather than look to use their superiority in the scrum to demonstrate their superiority in the scrum. When did any of us last see a number 8 score a pushover try from a scrum?  A thing of beauty, but a rare beast indeed these days.
That's a good point. My flawed memory is of Lol doing it regularly.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 03:32:51 PM »
Sensible action. We were saying that referees seem to have a fixed idea we are going to transgress.