Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps never expected Paolo Odogwu's England release: 'Happy to grovel'  (Read 1876 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I'm not particularly enjoying watching England at the moment, but if Paolo starts or comes off the bench and rips France to shreds then you're damn right I'll be cheering him on.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
_ 1 , but it all depends on the 'if' bit.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Sorry  -  that should have read PLUS 1.  If Paolo is playing  - I'll be watching.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
If Paolo is playing - Pigs will be flying.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
If Paolo is playing - Pigs will be flying.
Agreed.

If Jones makes any unforced charges it will be admitting he was wrong and his detractors right. His record to date is that his ego is bigger than his desire for a winning team.

I'll be surprised if Paulo even gets on the bench and if he does more than 5 minutes game time will be a minor miracle, barring injuries.

That's not just about Paulo, it's Eddie's way - if you're not part of the in-group you've no chance.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
He will get 5 minutes in one of the next couple of games to tie him to England.  That's all.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
He will get 5 minutes in one of the next couple of games to tie him to England.  That's all.

And never play again. Being told he has things to "work on".
Let me tell you something cucumber

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

In truth, it would be correct though, wouldn't it?

Paolo has had 2 or 3 reallygood games for wasps at centre which saw him called up for England.

Before those 2 or 3 games, he was a squad winger, who always looked very busy, but without much payoff at the end.

In the centre, we've started to see him break through the defence a couple of times, support other breaks, and score some trys.
But, his distribution has been poor to non-existent.

Arguably that should matter a lot at international level, but when you're playing 10/11 man rugby then maybe it's not such a huge factor.

If England do have aspirations of playing a faster, wider game, then I would fully expect Paolo to be told he needs to work on when to take contact and when to be mindful of the other players around him.

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile

If I believed that was the thought process going on then I would absolutely agree, but I (and I don't think I'm alone) suspect that the thinking is; 'He looks promising, let's get him tied into England so he can't paly for (insert country here) and then see how he develops from there'. 

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps never expected Paolo Odogwu's England release: 'Happy to grovel'
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 11:48:41 AM »

If I believed that was the thought process going on then I would absolutely agree, but I (and I don't think I'm alone) suspect that the thinking is; 'He looks promising, let's get him tied into England so he can't paly for (insert country here) and then see how he develops from there'.

Which isn't a million miles from what I said. Just suspicious of The Ed and his methods.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 12:28:34 PM »

Which isn't a million miles from what I said. Just suspicious of The Ed and his methods.

I agree - I quoted the wrong message.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 01:26:02 PM »
It’s not a sore shoulder Paolo has to worry about ,with Eddie it’s the cold one.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 09:30:15 AM »
It’s not a sore shoulder Paolo has to worry about ,with Eddie it’s the cold one.

Very good!

I guess it depends on what he wants. I wonder how his recent windfall compares to playing for Italy now? I think the Italian players got €3000 for th e whole world cup camp, plus win bonuses. He can always wince a lot and keep options open!

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2021, 11:15:45 AM »
Maybe he'll just end up getting the reported £70,000.00 with England, then go on to have a successful international career with Italy. Best of both worlds (to an extent).