Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Teams up for Brizz.  (Read 2153 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Teams up for Brizz.
« on: March 11, 2021, 11:58:07 AM »
Lee Blackett has named his Wasps side to travel to Ashton Gate to play Bristol Bears in Gallagher Premiership Round 13 on Friday. 

There are two changes to the starting line-up from the game against Gloucester Rugby last time out.

The first of those changes sees Sione Vailanu makes his first start of the season at number eight.

The only alteration to the back line sees Jimmy Gopperth start at inside centre. Gopperth is currently just two points from reaching the 1000 points milestone for Wasps.

Jack Owlett could make his first appearance of the season after being named amongst the replacements. He is joined on the bench by Tommy Taylor, Tom Willis and Michael Le Bourgeois, who is in line to make his 50th appearance for Wasps.

Paolo Odogwu and Dan Robson are still away with England for their Six Nations campaign. 

Wasps team to face Bristol Bears at Ashton Gate Stadium on Friday in Gallagher Premiership Round 13 (kick-off 7:45pm)

Wasps (First-team appearances)

15 Rob Miller (117)

14 Zach Kibirige (38)

13 Malakai Fekitoa (28)

12 Jimmy Gopperth (120)

11 Josh Bassett (139)

10 Jacob Umaga (41)

9 Will Porter (28)

1 Tom West (46)

2 Gabriel Oghre (35)

3 Jeff Toomaga-Allen (35)

4 Will Rowlands (102)

5 James Gaskell (134)

6 Brad Shields (42) (c)

7 Thomas Young (130)

8 Sione Vailanu (24)

Replacements

16 Tommy Taylor (82)

17 Ben Harris (73)

18 Jack Owlett (9)

19 Levi Douglas (9)

20 Tom Willis (34)

21 Ben Vellacott (15)

22 Michael Le Bourgeois (49)

23 Matteo Minozzi (27)

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

MarleyWasp

Re: Teams up for Brizz.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 12:00:28 PM »
Bristol Bears team to face Wasps at Ashton Gate on Friday, March 12th (7.45pm KO):

15. Charles Piutau; 14. Niyi Adeolokun, 13. Henry Purdy, 12. Piers O’Conor, 11. Siva Naulago; 10. Tiff Eden, 9. Andy Uren; 1. Yann Thomas, 2. Bryan Byrne, 3. Max Lahiff, 4. Dave Attwood, 5. Joe Joyce, 6. Steven Luatua (c), 7. Dan Thomas, 8. Nathan Hughes.

System players: 16. Will Capon, 17. Jake Woolmore, 28. John Afoa, 19. Chris Vui, 20. Jake Heenan, 21. Tom Kessell, 22. Charlie Powell, 23. Toby Fricker.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 12:00:47 PM »
No real surprises there.

Good to see Alfie didn't get his way!
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 12:03:49 PM »
No real surprises there.

Good to see Alfie didn't get his way!

Agreed. Glad Tom W is at least partly rested and that the back three get another outing. I expect Feks will be getting up to speed and Jimmy may be able to provide some stability for Jacob.

Forwards are competitive - but we need to be on it, right from the start as that's a decent Briz starting XV....

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 12:07:03 PM »
I read that Eden has played 3 Premiership games and the bench 10 nil. The bench 9 is also very inexperienced. That is their weakspot.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 12:11:58 PM »
I think resting Willis and going with Vailanu is the right call. I must admit I would have played Morris for Shields and Douglas for Rowlands just to give those two the rest they look like they desperately need. Might even have rested West and given ZZ a bench spot. Good to see Miller retained.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 12:25:47 PM »
Happy to see Vailanu. It should give him the opportunity to show that he can cut it at this level.

Pleased to see Jack Owlett is back and Ben Harris starting.

Bristol are strong but are missing some key players. Wasps should feel optimistic.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 12:33:16 PM »
The only response I can summon is that I'm glad Miller has retained the starting jersey, I just can't muster any optimism after the last few weeks.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 12:43:39 PM »

MarleyWasp

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 01:06:16 PM »
I think resting Willis and going with Vailanu is the right call. I must admit I would have played Morris for Shields and Douglas for Rowlands just to give those two the rest they look like they desperately need. Might even have rested West and given ZZ a bench spot. Good to see Miller retained.

I suspect that they'll get a rest next week if Launchbury and Barbeary are fit enough to play.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 01:08:40 PM »
Shame Morris not in squad.

Last week We got to 17 mins before conceding. Will have bottle ready if we can get to 20.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 01:12:29 PM »
I'm not sure they have a bench 10 - I think POC or Piutau are covering that slot. They will probably play a bit tighter than usual, but they still have devastating pace in that back line.

Vailanu will offer us more go-forward but we lose Willis' mobility and work rate. Let's hope he comes on with 50 to go and goes mad. I hope bringing Jimmy back in helps vary our attack more. Is Cruse injured?

Like many, I have zero optimism going into this one.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 01:29:37 PM »
Having made a small fortune betting against Wasps recently I have put money on them this week. Not much, but good odds.

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 01:48:15 PM »
What happened to Cruse?

I know Gabby is 'by trade' a hooker, but he looks better in the back row for me.

Overall a decent selection - but based on recent performances I'm expecting a sound beating.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 11:38:44 AM »
What happened to Cruse?

I know Gabby is 'by trade' a hooker, but he looks better in the back row for me.

Overall a decent selection - but based on recent performances I'm expecting a sound beating.

Cruse is probably knackered, he's played an awful lot of rugby this season