Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Sarries match  (Read 3828 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Sarries match
« on: October 08, 2017, 03:57:32 PM »
Bad start, better middle (at least for the first half).

Willis and Young both looking good, Willis has already made 10 tackles apparently, has taken 2 lineouts, and I'm fairly sure he nabbed a turnover.  Young getting turnovers too, though his Nathan impression of running it back needs work...

Rowlands looking good too. Miller is standing much flatter than Gopperth, and I think our attack is going better for it.

I am however confused, we go forwards with good solid play for a few phases, then a forward gets knocked back, then we seemingly choose to go wide, and inevitably get caught a long way back.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Sarries match
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 04:44:42 PM »
That's annoyed me, why the hell did we waste so much time for a meaningless conversion!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 05:04:38 PM »
I am proud of the way many of the players gave 110% today. There were some standout performances, and some not so. I am not sure our best pick 23 could have won against that side.

However, here we are, third from bottom (and with Irish nearly winning yesterday).

I wonder how long it will be before the coaches realise that our tactics (such as they are) are not working, either relating to the players we have, or against our opponents?

I am not sure how long WLR has on contract, but I do not think an extension would be worth it for me. Miller seemed to have a good game at 10. Dai is going to have to take a long look at some positions and players going forwards, and start to look for newcomers. Look at how well the youngsters played today. Shows you that we need to bring more of them in and get them some time in the AP.

As always, leadership on the field is lacking. For me, although he did not play today, it is normally Launchbury who shows that lack of insight. He is a damn good player, and motivates by example, but he doesn't have that quick thinking brain. And clearly neither does anybody in our team right now.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 05:05:08 PM »
All in all a much better game to watch than last week. We missed Launchbury and Hughes, especially in the maul. WLR always seems to need a game or two to settle back in.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 05:34:11 PM »
All in all a much better game to watch than last week. We missed Launchbury and Hughes, especially in the maul. WLR always seems to need a game or two to settle back in.

Just as I don't think that Gopperth was anywhere near fully fit last week. Needs must that he was on the pitch. WLR was not fully fit this week, and neither was Macken. I do not think Johnson was, despite the work he put in. I suspect that Cruse also needs a rest, but he isn't going to get it any time soon.

Haskell is most certainly not fit from a speed POV, but he was better this week. Something seems off in Daly's game as well. Can't put my finger on it.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 09:32:33 AM »

Just as I don't think that Gopperth was anywhere near fully fit last week. Needs must that he was on the pitch. WLR was not fully fit this week, and neither was Macken. I do not think Johnson was, despite the work he put in. I suspect that Cruse also needs a rest, but he isn't going to get it any time soon.

Haskell is most certainly not fit from a speed POV, but he was better this week. Something seems off in Daly's game as well. Can't put my finger on it.

I hope that is the case - it was not the commitment but the naivety of the play at times. I fully understand the problems if players were not fit so that we'd get 23 out on the day - but we're just not getting anything from Daly (Lions hangover?) or Wade in recent games. Its odd, I was encouraged by the Sale game, but subsequent games where they have been beaten suggests it was not a big achievement.

I am hoping that getting senior players on the pitch on Friday (Robson, Jimmy, Launch, Thompson, Hughes) will provides that leadership and direction. Its not like we can't put a creative back three out!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 10:17:22 AM »
Something seems off in Daly's game as well.

I've thought so as well ever since he returned. Post Lions? Possibly. Positional uncertainty from a career POV may have something to do with it.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 11:21:55 AM »
Something seems off in Daly's game as well.

I've thought so as well ever since he returned. Post Lions? Possibly. Positional uncertainty from a career POV may have something to do with it.

He seemed quite chilled in the pre game interview - I think we might see on Friday how things are

ElthamWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 12:15:36 PM »
Wadey and Daly shine when we put them in the right spaces. Our recent disjointed play has not put them into right spaces at all.

Being soft around the fringes of the ruck came back to haunt us yesterday. Thought we had dealt with that after similar early season episodes. 

What really annoyed me yesterday was the penalty count. We will never win anything giving such away easy points. Think Rob Smith is correct in his assessment that we have not adapted to the new ruck laws adequately.

Can't fault the effort and we did at least score 3 tries despite our lack of attacking platform.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 02:17:22 PM »
Wadey and Daly shine when we put them in the right spaces. Our recent disjointed play has not put them into right spaces at all.

Being soft around the fringes of the ruck came back to haunt us yesterday. Thought we had dealt with that after similar early season episodes. 

What really annoyed me yesterday was the penalty count. We will never win anything giving such away easy points. Think Rob Smith is correct in his assessment that we have not adapted to the new ruck laws adequately.

Can't fault the effort and we did at least score 3 tries despite our lack of attacking platform.

Agree with most of that - re the breakdown, I think Sarries were as mystified as Wasps with the random pinging of the breakdown, not sure the refs have got it sorted yet either