Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Daily Mail: Wasps set to sign South African scrum half Francois Hougaard  (Read 2442 times)

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Houggard is the experienced Dan Robson cover we thought Velacott was going to be.

Don’t write off Porter and Wolstenholme as they are both developing into very decent scrum halves.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
2 year contract, with one of Wusty or Porter to look elsewhere would be my guess, but with Wasps trying to keep hold of them both for another 2 years.

EDIT - Though if we're liking the look of a scrumhalf in the academy, maybe not.

MarleyWasp

Porter and Wolstenholme signed "long term" contracts last summer.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Porter and Wolstenholme signed "long term" contracts last summer.

If we get hougaard for 2 seasons then, and they're signed up for 3+, we've got a good chance of keeping them I reckon.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
If it happens, it would be a great signing. I seem to remember him chasing back and dislodging the ball from Brad Shields who was looking nailed on for a try last season, or perhaps the season before. He wouldn't have to relocate either so this seems like a winner for all concerned.
It was fine when I left it.....

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Mixed feelings on this one. I think he is past his best, but he has basically single handedly kept Worcester from being relegated. Perhaps a move can revitalise him a bit?

And what happens if Dobby doesn't make the next EPS? He's hardly set the world alight, and we already know how much Jones rates other scrum halves. We could suddenly be spending a big wedge on a single position.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Would be a great signing, definitely past  his best but fills the void between Dobby and the rest well.
I do not think this will be a massive problem For Porter or Wusty though as there’ll be far more rugby to play next year across cups and A league so we will need 4 SHs, even more so if Dobby is still on Eddie’s good list.
Also, as has been shown with Vellacott, long term injuries can happen at any stage so there will always be chances for game time at 9, even with 4 in the position. Hougaard has been injured a fair bit too I think recently

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Mixed feelings on this one. I think he is past his best, but he has basically single handedly kept Worcester from being relegated. Perhaps a move can revitalise him a bit?

And what happens if Dobby doesn't make the next EPS? He's hardly set the world alight, and we already know how much Jones rates other scrum halves. We could suddenly be spending a big wedge on a single position.
It's basically Vellacott out, Hougaard in. I don't think the cost differential would be significant.

MarleyWasp

I do wonder whether he is past his best or whether he's had to change his style to fit Worcester's game plan.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
We tried signing potential in Vellacott which didn't work out unfortunately, we now have that potential in Porter / Wusty so having seen the key need for another 9 going experience makes sense, much like Gloucester did in a similar situation with Joe Simpson who might have been considered past his best / injury prone but a change rejuvenated him.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!