Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps Sign Hougaard Official  (Read 2308 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps Sign Hougaard Official
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 10:09:52 AM »
Early announcement too, guess the press getting wind of it meant they had to go with it after Worcester gave the ok.
Great news - shame we cant have him now for a few weeks

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 10:12:24 AM »
Good news in my view
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 10:21:11 AM »
Looks like a good move. At 32 and with all that experience he shouldn't be seen as too much of a career barrier for Will Porter (22) and Sam Wolstenholme (20). They should relish the opportunity to learn from, and pit themselves against, an international of such standing.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 10:24:59 AM »
Wasps sign Lamborghini driving, ex-Springbok and wannabe billionaire Francois Hougaard

Bobby Bridge reports:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/rugby-transfer-news-francois-hougaard-20193422
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 10:28:23 AM »
Wasps sign Lamborghini driving, ex-Springbok and wannabe billionaire Francois Hougaard

Bobby Bridge reports:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/rugby-transfer-news-francois-hougaard-20193422

Thought you’d made that headline up! :-\

Good signing to really lift our strength in depth.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 10:33:21 AM »
Very happy with this signing.

Quality.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 10:59:10 AM »
Be interesting to see how he's used and what it means for Porter and Wolstenholme.  He certainly suits the way we want to play the game.  I suspect Hougaard is a 12-month deal so will give Will and Tom time to keep progressing/maturing.

Ultimately though, Dan is 29 so has likely at least 3-4 years left before he retires.  If that's the case, almost irrespective of Hougaard coming in it's likely to mean one of Porter or Wolstenholme leaving to get more game time as one of them is going to have to play the back-up to the back-up.  Unless they're happy to fight it out for game time when Dan is away with England (assuming he continues to be called up to the squad). 

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 11:01:52 AM »
Be interesting to see how he's used and what it means for Porter and Wolstenholme.  He certainly suits the way we want to play the game.  I suspect Hougaard is a 12-month deal so will give Will and Tom time to keep progressing/maturing.

Ultimately though, Dan is 29 so has likely at least 3-4 years left before he retires.  If that's the case, almost irrespective of Hougaard coming in it's likely to mean one of Porter or Wolstenholme leaving to get more game time as one of them is going to have to play the back-up to the back-up.  Unless they're happy to fight it out for game time when Dan is away with England (assuming he continues to be called up to the squad).

You could equally argue that if Vellacott had remained at Wasps, the same situation would have existed for Porter and Wolstenhome.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 11:17:37 AM »
You could also argue that they have both had plenty of game time this season & haven't risen to the occasion.
Also remember not all players are internationals waiting to mature or develop. I know they are young but this might be as good as they get.

I think though that its slightly harsh to judge them on the last few months given how poorly the whole team has played. On that basis wasps should be looking for a new 10 at least :)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 11:54:12 AM »
Invariably it seems to me you need 3 players for each position just to cover for the seemingly inevitable injury. And then if you have regular internationals got to consider a 4th and hope international payments will cover extra cost.

Does seem a good move though to bring Hougaard in and he is already used to English league so hopefully no settling in period you get for some overseas players.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 12:51:17 PM »
From the CovTel article
He has numerous business interests including vitamin pills, signage companies, fashion brands, exotic game and a capital-funding company.

What's an exotic game? (must admit when I first glanced at the article I thought it said erotic  ;D)

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 01:17:10 PM »
Fair points baldpaul101 and Heathen

Not really any net-change in terms of pecking order.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 01:20:40 PM »
From the CovTel article
He has numerous business interests including vitamin pills, signage companies, fashion brands, exotic game and a capital-funding company.

What's an exotic game? (must admit when I first glanced at the article I thought it said erotic  ;D)

Perhaps it playing rugby with a pineapple.

Let’s just hope it’s legal like ostrich meat and not dubious shooting safaris

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 05:19:15 PM »
Welcome Francois. Looking forward to seeing you play.