Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Ryan Mills - Instagram  (Read 5529 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Ryan Mills - Instagram
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2021, 08:41:52 AM »
Just done some research. According to NZ sources he can play second 5/8 or centre. Watch this space for the team announcement of Friday.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2021, 08:54:05 AM »
There's also Sopoaga who has occasionally played 12.

Is he fit?
Is he definitely off next season?

If we're struggling to play him at 10 and 15 at the moment, then maybe a try out at 12 isn't ridiculous

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2021, 09:48:17 AM »
I must admit, I too, was thinking about Malakai at 12 with Paolo at 13. Does anybody know if Malakai played much at 12?

12 and 13 are very different roles. What we will lack at 12 is someone like Le Bourgeois, but who can mix it up with kicks and changes of direction/plan. That is, react to what is in front of them. That player is Jimmy, but that cannot be for much longer. None of those mentioned (in house) can do this, and nothing I have seen of the younger players does either. That was why we signed Mills, but at the time the injury prone nature of Mills was writ large and should not have been ignored. Fekitoa and Odogwu are both ideal 13 material, but not 12s. Same goes for JdeJ (although I don't see him being kept at the next end of contract). Spink is much the same. Will Simonds I see as more of the full height full back we need; good in the air and running, but his kicking game is also lacking.

What we need is a rare commodity in Northern Hemisphere rugby, but is fairly common in South Africa and New Zealand. So, as JdeJ, Jimmy and Mills go, we need one, maybe two imports. And, maybe, start to look to recruit at the U18 level for that style of player. 12 (and 13) cannot be seen as merely a conduit between 10 and the wings, but that is how English rugby sees them right now. It wasn't so when I was playing (just before they invented cars).

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2021, 10:24:36 AM »
One player not mentioned as a possible 12 is our Mr Reliable, who is good at both 10 and 15, and has, in the past been played on the wing.

Edit: forgot to put in name - Rob Miller  :-[

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2021, 10:26:09 AM »
One player not mentioned as a possible 12 is our Mr Reliable, who is good at both 10 and 15, and has, in the past been played on the wing.

Wouldn't be adverse to that.
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2021, 10:52:52 AM »
Whoever might end up playing at 12 - it should (if choices are available) depend upon the style we want to play. I've always liked the NZ style of having a large off loading 12 with a second 5/8th style full back so you get that two handed distribution.

Or...you have that second distributor at 12 - our more recent template - and look to a mazy runner at FB to take advantage of the 10/12 combination (to precis rather...)

Ryan was a good pick as he was both a robust 100kg player, but one who had game time at 10. In a club team that would have offered a wider range of options than perhaps required at international level. But if he's not going to make it then I think we first need to decide how we're going to play over the next 5 years. Post Jimmy.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2021, 10:53:01 AM »

A good kicker. An intelligent rugby brain. Good in defence. Used to making flexible decisions based on what is in front of him. Yes, I agree.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2021, 11:17:01 AM »

Didn't need to!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2021, 12:19:39 PM »
The biggest problem with Miller is we need him at 15. We've looked so much more secure all round with him there but especially under the high ball. I must admit I really don't think Minozzi gives us much and defensively Sopoaga (if fit) was wobbly. I'd be OK with Simonds at FB and Miller at 12.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2021, 12:33:46 PM »

I believe we've played Miller at 12 a couple of times...
But I can't remember if he started there or covered it from the bench or 15

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2021, 01:08:42 PM »

I believe we've played Miller at 12 a couple of times...
But I can't remember if he started there or covered it from the bench or 15

He’s had a few starts at 10 but not 12. Could be from the bench as you said but it doesn’t ring a bell to me.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2021, 01:18:57 PM »
Not to criticize Miller, but wouldn't it be better to try and groom someone from the academy to play there or someone who's not towards the end of their career?

I reckon Miller will be used as a good ol' reliable Fullback rather than trying to build a new strategy around him.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2021, 01:46:55 PM »
The challenge for Lee is to play Malakai and Paolo in the same team, without dropping either Josh or Zak.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2021, 07:16:10 PM »
The challenge for Lee is to play Malakai and Paolo in the same team, without dropping either Josh or Zak.
Bassett to FB, Miller 12, Paolo 11?? Too many out of position?

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2021, 09:08:00 PM »
Bassett to FB, Miller 12, Paolo 11?? Too many out of position?

Sounds like an England squad selection