Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Sale: Post match thoughts.  (Read 4493 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps v Sale: Post match thoughts.
« on: March 27, 2021, 06:29:37 PM »
You deserve what you get, and we deserve to be sitting near the bottom of the table with little chance of making it to the top 6.

Today was an embarrassment. There is no point calling it anything else because that is exactly what it was. No team that loses to a team that has had 4 yellow cards to fight through, even if they are pushing top 4, deserve understanding or the chance to provide excuses. Sale were fantastic today, yes they lost their discipline, but they had heart and fight in bucket loads.

We have no confidence and lack brain power. Facing 13 men you do not take 3 points, you trust your processes, your systems, you play the game plan you trust, and you score tries and take the game away from The opposition. Instead we clearly demonstrated a lack of confidence and a lack of trust.

I will be frank here, I am angry! I am angry that our lads put in that performance today, I am angry that we made error after error after error. I am angry that out leaders did not take control when control was needed. But I am most angry that we have a squad far more capable than that and with the ability to play better. There is no greater failure than not playing to your potential or ability, yet we gave a great example of just this.

Season goals must now be adjusted. Give Claremont a crack next week, but a win on these performances is just fanciful, and unless we improve markedly it will be a heavy defeat. However top 6 even looks unlikely now, to actually get there would be a miracle.

They all have negative covid tests, perhaps tonight is about them all -players and coaches- going into the sports hall, ordering in take away and plenty of crates of beer, shuttling the door and have a long discussion to sort this, because another game like this should never happen again.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Sale: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 06:34:18 PM »
Gutted. Fair play to Sale though.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 06:41:53 PM »
In fairness, I am not angry. I haven't contributed a penny to Wasps this year. No season ticket, no merchandise, no payments to BT Sport.

Some serious butt needs kicking though.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 06:56:56 PM »
Think we might need someone to be bad cop to Joe and Lee's good cop, as a player if you had put that performance in for a coach like Shaun Edwards, Rob Baxter, Pat Lam, Warren Gatland etc or a captain like Martin Johnson, Alun Wyn or even Owen Farrell you would have been fearful of going back in the changing rooms, not sure the current coaching and leadership set up however potentially talented and inspirational in Joe's case has that bite.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 06:59:41 PM by Chunky24 »

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 07:08:01 PM »
Don’t worry Lee will give them a holiday

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 07:11:18 PM »
I will be frank here, I am angry!

I just feel empty.

Have we got the worst record against yellow cards in the Prem? That's not the first time we've struggled against 13 men/

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 07:14:19 PM »
We're not clinical enough or clever enough at them moment. But for me we had that won. Paolo clearly turned the ball over in our favour and the ref penalises him instead allowing Sale to kick to the corner and ultimately go over for the win right at the death. Ref was quick too to yellow card Gabby. There was no run of infringements that preceded it and no warning to Joe that he was looking to flash a card. Its like the ref was desperate to yellow a Wasps player after being left with little choice over the yellows he had to show to Sale.

Do I sound bitter? Absolutely I am. But I'm really peed off.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 07:15:32 PM »
Post match thoughts are that we're so desperate to win we are forcing things. We lack confidence and our set piece is unpredictable. Decision making today reeked of fear rather than confidence and yet again penalties for silly things cost us. No excuses re player availability or reffing - we just weren't good enough.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 07:21:55 PM »
Post match thoughts are that we're so desperate to win we are forcing things. We lack confidence and our set piece is unpredictable. Decision making today reeked of fear rather than confidence and yet again penalties for silly things cost us. No excuses re player availability or reffing - we just weren't good enough.

This completely.  Feeling totally drained after that. God help us next week.
Let me tell you something cucumber

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 07:34:22 PM »

This completely.  Feeling totally drained after that. God help us next week.

Dear god I forgot about Clermont. RIP

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 07:36:36 PM »
Plus 1.  I think we tried too hard.  I also think (and this isn't an excuse, more of a reason)  that apres 6N  and injuries etc they are just not used to playing together as a team.  2 months is a long time and much can be forgotten  That said  -  how come other teams manage?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 07:48:07 PM »
Very frustrating. What a very strange game. The fewer players Sale had on the park, the more lacking in confidence we became.

Some points to consider:why were we continuing to take 3 points from a penalty when we should have pressed home the advantage in numbers we had? It didn't make us safe from defeat. Some of our players played is if they weren't well - Zach in particular. Alfie definitely wasn't himself and backdoc suggests that he really hasn't fully recovered from his injury yet (I refrain from his medispeak). It is clear that Jimmy's days as a 10 are over. We should put our faith in Jacob and/or Charlie and play either from the off. They'll learn. One of my bugbears - too much whistle, the game isn't allowed to flow. And mental Eddie talks BS. Paolo is not, is definitely not a better player than when he left us to join England.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2021, 07:50:17 PM »
I have it recorded to watch later as I couldn't make it to watch live but I did follow the game on the prem rugby app.
My thoughts are exactly the same as everyone else's and I hadnt watched the game! How you can allow 3 or 4 yellow cards to go unpunished I'll never know.
I don't think we are relegation material but it's good to not have to look over our shoulder for this season. Use this as a chance to reset for next season and work out how the hell we are meant to move on from this shambles.

ricohchezwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2021, 07:57:32 PM »
Thank god the golf courses are opening on Monday, time to focus on something I enjoy  again, That was a dire waste of a late afternoon. Can’t even blame the referee. Low skill levels low confidence, complete lack of leadership...... I can’t think of one decent performance this year, I will be back next week but it’s getting harder and harder....

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2021, 08:05:09 PM »
In spite of reaching Final last season, we did not have a power game. It was only when we played fast and loose that we got results. That observation has continued this season.

Most sides - just look at Sale today, have more powerful players in abundance. We struggle to repel them.

Our guys have talent, no doubt, but something is adrift. We had the same discussion before Dai left.

I looked at the Clermont side that beat SF today and it is littered with star names. I fear that we are looking at a result, similar (or worse) to our 0-27 against UBB, last season.

It does beg the question - what are we doing in training? Given our injury sitaution, do we have enough players left to play really competitive stuff on the training paddock?

Just seen on the other place that it is rumored that we are talking to Dave Rennie.