Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Sale: Post match thoughts.  (Read 4492 times)

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Sale: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2021, 08:11:08 PM »
It's a bit of a viscious circle. The more we struggle, the lower our confidence. The lower our confidence, the more we struggle.

But today was appalling. We can't pretend otherwise.

Lucky there's no relegation. Play Charlie for the rest of the season to get him experience. Try Malakai and Paolo together in the centres, and more of Spink and Simmonds too.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2021, 08:16:36 PM »
Just seen on the other place that it is rumored that we are talking to Dave Rennie.

Whaaaaat? I struggle to believe that. He was already at Glasgow and only just arrived at Australia. Why would he leave?

And what kind of rumour? It's not "my sister's daughter's friends dog says" or is it a good source?

Think that's an unlikely one.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2021, 08:20:50 PM »
Just seen on the other place that it is rumored that we are talking to Dave Rennie.

Whaaaaat? I struggle to believe that. He was already at Glasgow and only just arrived at Australia. Why would he leave?

And what kind of rumour? It's not "my sister's daughter's friends dog says" or is it a good source?

Think that's an unlikely one.

I agree but that's what was written.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2021, 08:24:55 PM »
Looking for positives - I though Sarah Cox had a good game.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2021, 08:52:08 PM »
We just needed to be a lot smarter. Clear eyed precision was required and we panicked under the expectation of having extra player(s). It's all about confidence. Once we find some we'll be OK.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2021, 08:58:03 PM »
It's alright, it's only Clermont next week. A veritable well of confidence

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2021, 09:36:05 PM »
A new coach isn't the solution, the players and how they fail to work together are the issue. They are all able to play good rugby, they are choosing not too.

What is good rugby? Not what we saw today. The players were formulaic, no invention, no thinking, no flair. And, I WILL say this again, utterly ineffective leadership on the pitch.

When a team of any description plays/performs badly, it is 99% bad leadership.

Coaching should be about being ready for anything. We were clueless as to what to do when one, even two men up. Clueless. YOU DO NOT GIVE THEM THE BALL. YOU DO NOT KICK. You do stretch them from side to side. You do force each defender to tackle, do not not let them drift. But, time and again, we kicked. Time and again we did not lock the defence in, we drifted, especially Fekitoa, Gopperth and Le Bourgeois. We made their lives easy. We took short lineouts (5 men). Why? Throw the whole pack in, force them to do the same, reduce the line defence.

Why was this not coached into the peanut sized brain that whoever was supposed to be in charge on the pitch has?

So many, really, really basic tactical errors.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 10:32:46 PM by NellyWellyWaspy »

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2021, 09:48:55 PM »
Despite all my attempts I am still  allegedly sober after getting through a decent sample of Jameson black Barrell I’m still sober. No I cannot add anything to all that’s been said , where’s that bottle?

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2021, 10:58:35 PM »
We're currently playing a number of players who aren't good enough for the big games, or who aren't good enough yet.

I won't add names to these thoughts, but we have a number of young players who make bad decisions, or who succumb under pressure.
That's compounded when things aren't going our way.
I think on the whole that'll improve with age and experience, but we're playing a lot of youngsters at the same time so they're all going through it together.
Same may make it, others may not

There are also some more experienced players who are having to play most games, but realistically should be 2nd/3rd choice.
They're still incredibly gifted players, but in some cases they're a fraction slow for the elite level, or may need a fraction more thinking time.
That's fine when you need them to fill a gap, not so great when you need them to play every game.

That being said, we should have won today. Not because we were the better team, but because we had more players on the pitch most of the time.

All the above about young, inexperienced players is fine as long as everyone is on board with the journey.
Unfortunately, l think that journey has to complete this season and be ready for a charge next season or there'll be changes made

HCWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2021, 11:18:30 PM »
That was dire. No ownership on the field - too many players seemed to be going through the motions, waiting for someone else to sort it out. And the backs (unusually) had a stinker. Hopefully some honest post-match discussions.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2021, 11:53:15 PM »
A new coach isn't the solution, the players and how they fail to work together are the issue. They are all able to play good rugby, they are choosing not too.

What is good rugby? Not what we saw today. The players were formulaic, no invention, no thinking, no flair. And, I WILL say this again, utterly ineffective leadership on the pitch.

When a team of any description plays/performs badly, it is 99% bad leadership.

Coaching should be about being ready for anything. We were clueless as to what to do when one, even two men up. Clueless. YOU DO NOT GIVE THEM THE BALL. YOU DO NOT KICK. You do stretch them from side to side. You do force each defender to tackle, do not not let them drift. But, time and again, we kicked. Time and again we did not lock the defence in, we drifted, especially Fekitoa, Gopperth and Le Bourgeois. We made their lives easy. We took short lineouts (5 men). Why? Throw the whole pack in, force them to do the same, reduce the line defence.

Why was this not coached into the peanut sized brain that whoever was supposed to be in charge on the pitch has?

So many, really, really basic tactical errors.
Agree with a lot of that NWW. I think the mistake we've made is making our best players captains. There were enough prem appearances out there today to get it right but we didn't. I think on field Shields should captain and let the others just play.

ArleyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2021, 12:43:41 AM »
The only good thing is, is that I have not suffered the embarrassment of attending the last 5 games at " Fortress Ricoh". Sorry guys my continued membership depends on your efforts. My next £xxxx is about as likely as Wasps next win.

Sting

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2021, 03:58:58 AM »
Is this a wasps supporters' forum, because it doesn't sound like it?
My sister is a Stockport County fan. Supported them for over 50 years. Now that's been tough. But never, ever gave up her 'support'. Same for me with Man U through triump to relegation and back. Same for Wasps. We they are our team. Through good times and bad. And yes, they need our money and our support to pull through. Sure, performances like this are maddening, frustrating and need to be sorted. This is for the players and coaches and management to sort. Players need to own their individual performance, effort and mistakes. Coaches need to own the game plan and processes they are telling the players to play. On field leaders need be judged by their decisions and leadership. We as fans and supporters should be judged by the level of support (and yes constructive feedback). 'support' is not just for the good times and it's needed now more than ever.

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2021, 08:54:13 AM »
Vast majority of fans will continue to support the club no matter what but today that was just unacceptable. No excuses could be given as we had practically a full strength side and for big parts of the second half they had 13 men yet we still struggled to make an impact. To many players that are good but not top class and unfortunately older players on the drift, others seem to be going through the motions.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2021, 08:58:07 AM »
Is this a wasps supporters' forum, because it doesn't sound like it?
My sister is a Stockport County fan. Supported them for over 50 years. Now that's been tough. But never, ever gave up her 'support'. Same for me with Man U through triump to relegation and back. Same for Wasps. We they are our team. Through good times and bad. And yes, they need our money and our support to pull through. Sure, performances like this are maddening, frustrating and need to be sorted. This is for the players and coaches and management to sort. Players need to own their individual performance, effort and mistakes. Coaches need to own the game plan and processes they are telling the players to play. On field leaders need be judged by their decisions and leadership. We as fans and supporters should be judged by the level of support (and yes constructive feedback). 'support' is not just for the good times and it's needed now more than ever.

I support them, and when I can, I'll do so in person.

I rarely criticise, but I feel that over this season we're seeing the same types of mistakes from the same players over and again.

In most cases it's hopefully things that the young players will learn from with experience.
For the senior players, is a case of getting back to playing instinctively.

But, there are some starters in the team who are merely "ok" players. We need them, but we need them as squad players rather than regular starters if we want to win titles.

For me though, winning is great, but competing and entertaining is better. If we could pull off more exciting play, I wouldn't mind whether we're 1st or 8th.