Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps' Twitter Account  (Read 1335 times)

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps' Twitter Account
« on: March 29, 2021, 11:26:53 AM »
Was trying to follow the game online and often view Wasps' Twitter page to up with he score and who is doing what (don't have a Twitter account or log on so can't interact with it, just view it from outside) and noticed the post match attempt at humour. Seems to have got a few people very upset.

Wasps posted "We're gonna need a bigger boat" in a clear Jaws reference to losing to Sharks. In isolation quite funny I thought, but should sports team Twitter operators acknowledge that fans often have sense of humour failures in the immediate aftermath of seeing their team beaten? What they want is an apology, an acknowledgement that things were not good enough etc. The responses to that tweet were less than polite.

Just wondered what others' thoughts on post beating humour are?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps' Twitter Account
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 01:12:25 PM »
I saw that and thought it was pretty seriously misjudged.

But I've been offering help with the way they do social media for over a year now with no uptake so am pretty much resigned to them getting the mood wrong.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 01:47:25 PM »
Also saw it (I have got into a sort of perverse habit of checking after our string of defeats) and felt it was a bit silly. Lighten the mood yes but not just afterwards! Mind you some of the responses!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 03:14:34 PM »
Sometimes they do better.

"Is there anything Alfie can't do?!"

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 03:20:09 PM »
Sometimes they do better.

"Is there anything Alfie can't do?!"

True

We just need Alfie to click (and the rest of them).
Let me tell you something cucumber

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 04:26:20 PM »
From that picture Alfie is trying to make the situation worse (pulling the bow further into the sand)

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 11:00:36 AM »
I think the big problem is that there is a vast swathe of Twitter users who are simply ar*eholes looking to have a moan at any opportunity they can take.

Sure, as a fan, I might be pissed off after a loss but i'm a grown up and if Wasps post something tongue-in-cheek i'm able to at least see the attempt to lighten the mood rather than spit my dummy out and choose to send abusive messages back to them.

There's also the echo chamber effect with Twitter - 10k views of so of that Tweet and 65 or so comments, not all that are chastising the post.  So a minority have found it distasteful.  Sometimes we're too caught up in the handful of negative comments and not the overall impact.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 12:49:58 PM »
I think the big problem is that there is a vast swathe of Twitter users who are simply ar*eholes looking to have a moan at any opportunity they can take.

Sure, as a fan, I might be pissed off after a loss but i'm a grown up and if Wasps post something tongue-in-cheek i'm able to at least see the attempt to lighten the mood rather than spit my dummy out and choose to send abusive messages back to them.

There's also the echo chamber effect with Twitter - 10k views of so of that Tweet and 65 or so comments, not all that are chastising the post.  So a minority have found it distasteful.  Sometimes we're too caught up in the handful of negative comments and not the overall impact.
+1

Attempts to lighten the mood are welcome. It is a game after all