Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The AIs!  (Read 4410 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
The AIs!
« on: November 06, 2017, 02:05:46 PM »
So, to try and get a bit of life, and a reason to read/come on here more often to make it a habit.

Thoughts on the AIs?

I reckon Hughes will stake a serious claim, and whilst he's not going to replace BV at 8, I do wonder if he can work hard enough to make Eddie consider him at 6.

Don't think the Curry involved is going to do that well, they're both physical for teenagers, and able to hold their own in the AP, but they just aren't big/strong enough for international (yet).

Hoping Underhill can stay fit, think he could be the real deal.

Argentina first up, should be a straight forward win, but I want to see us do it ruthlessly and with control. No back and forth scoring, just clinical stuff.  Hold them out for the first half, build a score of 3 pointer if needbe, and then finish the job with some tries in the last 30.

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The AIs!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 02:21:11 PM »
Agreed,  Hughes has been uber-agressive this season and looked really good.  I hope he can carry that form into the AI's.  Not sure how much game time Launch will get, he seems to be fourth choice in a lot of media outlets... I'd expect him to get some game time as he has always performed for Eddie up to now.

Did I see that Daly has been selected in the squad? I do hope if he has Eddie isn't adding unnecessary risk to his knee.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 03:26:56 PM »
Daly apparently fit for the Argentina game. Hopefully not being rushed back due to other injuries to wingers.

Seeing as England don't really play a conventional 6 I wouldn't be too worried testing Hughes there when Billy's back if it means the locks can stick to the second row. It'll need a bit of an adjustment for the roles along the back row but nothing too much.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 04:17:24 PM »
Our flanker pairing is normally very busy in the breakdown however, and I'm not sure Hughes can replicate that workload too well, the question is can the slack be made up for by the rest of the pack, whilst introducing a good carrier and decent lineout option in the form of Hughes.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 04:19:23 PM »
I can see Nathan taking Billy's shirt and become a starter. I've always thought he has a lot more to offer than BV.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 06:21:50 PM »
Can't see that. Billy's workrate is massive, and he's one of the most effective carriers in world rugby. Hughes has other strengths, but I'm not sure he's at a level where he's threatening the 8 shirt yet.  I do think an effective 6/8 pairing could be made there though, it would require a breakdown focused 7, in the Haskell/Underhill/Willis? mould.  Someone who moves quick, and shifts bodies.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 11:48:11 AM »
Can't see that. Billy's workrate is massive, and he's one of the most effective carriers in world rugby. Hughes has other strengths, but I'm not sure he's at a level where he's threatening the 8 shirt yet.  I do think an effective 6/8 pairing could be made there though, it would require a breakdown focused 7, in the Haskell/Underhill/Willis? mould.  Someone who moves quick, and shifts bodies.

I agree, I think the way Eddie wants England to play, he will always favour Billy over Nathan. WRT England's 7, does Hask still fit your description Raggs??? ;D ;D

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »
In general yes, but I think Underhill could be an upgrade, or at least, younger with more running in his legs perhaps.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 12:24:16 PM »
In general yes, but I think Underhill could be an upgrade, or at least, younger with more running in his legs perhaps.

I'd have to disagree with regard to Hask, not much of a jackal anymore, pretty slow and known more for tackling and clearing out than much else IMO.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 12:37:15 PM »

I'd have to disagree with regard to Hask, not much of a jackal anymore, pretty slow and known more for tackling and clearing out than much else IMO.

I never mentioned jackalling though. And he covered the ground very well in the Lions, he has a weird gait, but he can still shift.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 11:31:50 AM »
The 7 Shirt is still up for grabs after the AI showings. Although Underhill didn't have a bad game I'm not convinced he's ready to claim the Openside position for the 2nd best team in World Rugby just yet.

Simmonds was ok yesterday but again didn't show enough to stake his claim, Haskell is probably done now as far as England starts go and Robshaw is definitely not the answer either.

It will be very interesting to see who gets the 7 Shirt for the first 6 Nations game.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 12:46:10 PM »
The 7 Shirt is still up for grabs after the AI showings. Although Underhill didn't have a bad game I'm not convinced he's ready to claim the Openside position for the 2nd best team in World Rugby just yet.

Simmonds was ok yesterday but again didn't show enough to stake his claim, Haskell is probably done now as far as England starts go and Robshaw is definitely not the answer either.

It will be very interesting to see who gets the 7 Shirt for the first 6 Nations game.

Based on what I saw of him yesterday, at some point Ben Curry has to have his eyes on that shirt. Big, fast, a fighter, all over the field looking for the ball, a fast runner. Yes, I can see him with that shirt on. Very impressive young lad.