Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Clermont: Post match thoughts.  (Read 7875 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps v Clermont: Post match thoughts.
« on: April 03, 2021, 02:39:05 PM »
So near yet so far.

Proud but gutted.

Well it’s gutting, yet equally I thought we were on for a hammering today given our performances and form, but the lads stepped up. However when you play at this level mistakes hurt you, Minozzi not respecting the ball in the process of scoring, Kibirige brainless moment, Gopps -who should know better - seatbelt tackle when they were in Clarmont’s 22, Ogre’s lineout throws....these mistakes add up, and the end result is being out of Europe.

We will now see exactly what mentality and heart our team has. You either let this loss hurt you and your season, or you absorb it, retain the pain and vow never to let it happen again. They now have to put everything into getting into the top 6 and to go again next year..If they fail to do that and continue their poor form in the league than this loss will of been for nought.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Clermont: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 02:47:34 PM »
Before our next game, Gaby should do nothing other than practice his arrows. If he can't hit his jumpers, particularly when close to the oppo's line, then his future at hooker must be in the balance. Their winning try stemmed from yet another botched throw when within yards of the Clermont line. Has he got a bad case of the yips?

I forgive Zach's deliberate knock on - he'd only just arrived on the pitch and no doubt he was desperate not to be caught out and hadn't yet adjusted to the pace of the game.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 02:51:09 PM »
Absolutely gutted. I'm firmly in the place of playing well and losing is really no different to playing poorly and losing - same net result. Blackett should be absolutely roasting Gopperth and Kibirige. And to be frank unless Oghre can hit his mark at line out time he needs a break till he can. What Minozzi contrived to do for his try was just unprofessional. That game was won. And we've lost. There's clearly no lack of effort but week after week it's our brains that are letting us down. Big performances from the starting pack and thought Robson was immense. Unfortunately our bench had an impact that we really didn't need. We've simply got to find a way of not losing in the final 5. We've squandered endless league points and now a very reachable QF spot.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 02:51:14 PM »
I did wonder if that last penalty was in Jimmy’s range. Even if he missed they were kicking back to us. The only thing he had to do was make sure it went dead if missed. 

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 02:55:46 PM »
I'm not as upset as losing to Exeter in the final for example. I think it's because I like many assumed we'd get a thorough spanking from Clermont. Yet I'm still disappointed after all that we lost!

Individual mistakes just stopped us, but we still looked great at times. Honestly story of our season, discipline and individual errors. I was shocked there were so many chances to score and we botched each one and yet so close on each one.

The only hope is we use it to improve the younger players.

Oh well.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 02:56:45 PM »
I did wonder if that last penalty was in Jimmy’s range. Even if he missed they were kicking back to us. The only thing he had to do was make sure it went dead if missed.

My thoughts exactly.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 03:04:02 PM »
I would like to know how many tackles we missed. It did not make pleasant viewing at times.

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 04:02:22 PM »
We played so much better. Normally, I'd say we were just unlucky - but on the back of our recent run, and conceding two games in a row to last gasp scores, I'm just getting more depressed each weekend and those little mistakes that cost us so much are leaving me fuming.

ricohchezwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 04:12:44 PM »
Clearly Frank Murphy has still not recovered from the Lewsey hit in 2007 Final, some of his decision making today was questionable. That was shed loads better than any other performance this season but yet again we managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory....... still utterly dejected nearly two hours later 😱😱

MarleyWasp

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 04:20:28 PM »
still utterly dejected nearly two hours later 😱😱

I know what you mean. Can't bring myself to watch any more Rugby today, so I'll focus on holiday planning in the event that Boris allows us to travel this summer.

ricohchezwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 04:28:53 PM »
yep no more rugby for me this weekend

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 04:30:08 PM »
The performance suggests we aren’t far away from the heights of last season.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2021, 04:30:23 PM »
Clearly Frank Murphy has still not recovered from the Lewsey hit in 2007 Final, some of his decision making today was questionable. That was shed loads better than any other performance this season but yet again we managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory....... still utterly dejected nearly two hours later 😱😱
Yep, watching but not really watching Munster v Toulouse in a state of abject frustration. Replaying that final two minutes in my head and irritated by Martin Bayfields brief summing up of a game that eventually finished as it should and Craig Doyle moving us on to the "main course" (Mun v Tou).

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2021, 04:44:16 PM »
The performance suggests we aren’t far away from the heights of last season.

Honestly hope we use it as motivation

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2021, 05:08:45 PM »
Actually think it was noticable for me that the reffing gave the defending teams a lot more chance. Forget the contestable decisions, the game was a better spectacle because the team with the ball could easily lose it.
That, and the attitude of both teams to win the game by playing rugby contributed to a better spectacle.  I would guess that half the turnovers awarded today would just have been penalties to the teams with the ball in the premiership, which brings me back to the idea that our refs are hurting the game.

We played really well for most of the game.  Be honest now, who would have thought we would look as good as we did? The issues we had with the set piece vanished until the late subs and we looked marvelous with quick ball all day long. The last ten was predictable and disappointing though.

When Taylor went off, the lineout goes back to what we all expected. We have to wonder if Lee is thinking the unthinkable- that one of our bright, young hookers might actually be a 7 who can cover hooker in an emergency. Others here will be better placed than me to judge, but from all we have seen, our scrum and lineout are better when he is not there, whilst his work around the pitch makes him look good at doing things I don't expect from a 2. It is like the  JTA situation - he can do lots of nice things but when we need to hold our own scrum its head down into the turf and arm up. Too late for JTA to change positions, but not for Oghre.

More unthinkables- I  don't think Jimmy should be playing next year- when was the last good game he had? Last good cameo?  I don't even think Jimmy thinks he should be playing next year these past few weeks.  He came on with 5, ludicrously short but tells you where Lee is heading.  Presumably it was to add experience and a boot in case of 3 but his contribution was as bad as Kiberige''s, and yes it is really hard to do anything in five mins that wins the game, but I still think he may decide to move into coaching.

It was nice to see what Booj can do. Odogwu looked really sharp- Eddie really mucked him about. Bassett worked well. The back row were outstanding. Most of all Robson was brilliant. Jacob will take some confidence too, not many howlers but I feel he still forces it too often.

Moving forward I think it is time to look to the future.
We look better with Odogwu on the field than not. He has to play somewhere.
We look better with a big centre pairing these past couple of weeks.
Minozzi will come good, he had a WLR moment he will not live down, and hopefully never do again.
If Kieran goes we will need another TH.
I am heartbroken for the lads, but compared to the drivel of late Jan and February, I am optimistic of a decent run in.