Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Now what?  (Read 2421 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Now what?
« on: April 03, 2021, 06:18:29 PM »
When it was announced that there wouldn't be any relegation this season someone started a thread asking what our ambitions should be. In those heady days there was talk of top 2, definitely top 4, with some of the more pessimistic/realistic saying Heineken Cup.

With 7 games to go top 4 doesn't realistic, 14 points behind Quins, and top 6 looks like a challenge, 9 points behind Irish. The run in is:

Chiefs (A)
Bath (H)
Quins (A)
Wuss (H)
Saints (A)
Irish (A)
Tigers (H)

Tigers and Bath stand between us and Irish and Saints are 1 point ahead of Irish. I haven't looked at the other teams' fixtures but there aren't any easy games in any year, this year seems especially difficult as home advantage isn't what it usually is.

I reckon we need to win 5 out of those 7 plus a few bonus points if we're going to make the HC next year. Chiefs and Quins are going to be tough so that means they have to target the rest of the games for wins, BP wins preferably while shutting out the opposition.

Its going to be tough but we really need HC games next year to get the Ricoh tills ringing.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Now what?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 06:37:48 PM »
We don't deserve to be in the Champions Cup next season unless something spectacular changes.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 06:38:42 PM »
Realistically our ambition is now top 6. We need to win at least four or five of the remaining games. In terms of what next I think we need to see a few platforms laid for next year. I'd like to see Barbeary get some minutes at 2. I'd want Umaga at 10 for every game irrespective of performance - we're all in with him as our 10 so he needs to iron out any wrinkles he has. Odogwu needs minutes on the pitch - harsh though that may be on Kibirige. I don't think any of those mean a compromise between platform laying and ability to win. If we go deeper without a win I'd then throw in the likes of Simonds, Spink, Atkinson - fully accepting that results are then secondary to the wider picture.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 06:42:34 PM »
harsh though that may be on Kibirige

I've been a bit concerned about Zach. He doesn't look like he's enjoying himself, I suppose none of them are but he always looks particularly glum, and some of his mistakes look like he's trying too hard and is getting tense. Its impossible to play any game well when that happens.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 06:50:53 PM »
At the moment with our run in I can only see us beating Worcester. We will have to work very hard to do anything more than that.
We were definitely more creative with Umaga at 10 but he is costing us metres and points with some of his mistakes defensively and with poor kicking. I agree he needs to play to get the confidence up, as happened last year but if it continues then Atkinson should be given the shot.
Think Booj had a good game but still think Fekitoa at 12 and Paolo at 13 could be the best option moving forward and think they would help Jacob out more too.
Also if anyone who is leaving is not 100% committed then bring in a younger option and agree with Shugs if we have nothing left to play for after a few more defeats then play the younger guys, get Spink and Curran some game time, Barbeary to hooker, JTA some more scrum time

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 07:01:10 PM »
The  team that turned up today can beat anyone in the Premiership with a modest improvement in game management.

Doing it week after week is the problem.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 07:18:18 PM »
To those who are talking about giving youngsters more game time, I agree. But Spink and Simonds are both on loan. And we hear very little about other academy prospects or recent graduates (aside from Barbeary or Atkinson).

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 08:52:26 PM »
There is absolutely no way we are finishing top 6. We'll be lucky if we finish above 10th

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 09:49:22 PM »
The  team that turned up today can beat anyone in the Premiership with a modest improvement in game management.

Absolutely. We've always had the players to be a top 4 side when you look at teams around the Prem. Our recruitment is fine. Game management and panic has been our Achilles heel. I suppose at least that's the right way round.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 10:00:41 PM »

Absolutely. We've always had the players to be a top 4 side when you look at teams around the Prem. Our recruitment is fine. Game management and panic has been our Achilles heel. I suppose at least that's the right way round.

Recruitment is an interesting point. We have Taylor, Rowlands and probably Brookes going from the pack, that’s a lot of experience, bulk and all are arguably starters.
Trusting in Oghre and Barbeary coming through is fine in one position, Stooke if that comes off is pretty much like for like with Rowlands but Brookes will be tough to fill - and we arguably need to improve our squad and not just keep it ticking over.

Watching the Exeter game I was thinking about their recruitment. They have found a good mix, Nic White leaves and they trust in Maunder and youth at 9 however they didn’t just settle for Dave Dennis leaving and think it’s ok we have a Scottish international in Skinner to fill his place with an academy lad filling his spot, let’s bring in Jonny Gray. Dollman retires and Cordero moves on and they bring in Hogg and Josh Hodge.
Of course the books have to be balanced but Hogg, Gray, Kirsten and Vermeulen are signings that have taken Exeter to a new level . We have gone for galacticos in the past which hasn’t always worked but, whilst I think the Stooke signing, if it comes off is a good one, we have the option to strengthen at lock at TH rather than just find like for likes and build our squad at the same time as developing the youth.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 10:07:15 PM »
JonnyD, TH is absolutely crucial. If Brookes does go we need a top notch replacement. If you do not have stability at scrum time your always going to be struggling. JTA is fine in the loose but that's secondary to his primary role. Alo has potential and Owlett is off so something has to happen there (assuming Brookes leaves).

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 10:08:35 PM »
 We may have the players, but our recruitment has not been fine, we are still lacking a little depth in the squad due to some of the late Dai era acquisitions not panning out as planned like Fekitoa, and Shields did for example. Vellacott, JTA, Lima, ZZ have not quite worked out as we would have wanted. Not every signing does, sometimes they get injured like Mills, sometimes they just do not click, but by and large this squad has been bailed out by players coming through. Our academy production line has been super, and has been the real star generator that plugs the gap. Jacob, Alfie, Willises, West etc. have made up for some presumably quite expensive recruitment that has not worked out.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2021, 10:18:58 PM »
Yes, on reflection WestWales that's entirely fair. Some of those you mention haven't come off. I like the look of Crossdale and Hougaard gives us something it's clear we need. Hopefully that's a sign that combined with our continued academy products we are now improving on this area.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2021, 10:32:31 PM »
There has been some great recruitment of SAs recently, Wiese and Liebenberg have transformed Leicester, Quins with Louw, Esterhuizen and Lewies have been revitalised and a few lumps like that could really benefit us. I’m not saying go all out like Sale have but their physicality is huge with the SA imports and it seems the Premiership is going more that way.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2021, 08:40:51 AM »
A quality replacement for Brookes is absolutely crucial. Alo is improving from a low base, he's a unti but not yet a top quality scrummager. JTA is fantastically enthusiastic but is never going to worry any LH even though he has improved a bit. He's often a liability at scrum time. Our LH options are comfortable to good now, need to equalise that on the other side of the scrum.

Exeter have signed Schonert for next season. He would've been absolutely perfect for Wasps, Exeter are just being greedy. Looks like we're gonna have to sign a Saffer/Georgian for middling money, which wouldn't be the worst thing, but they must be a top level scrummager.