Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Now what?  (Read 2648 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Now what?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2021, 09:23:43 AM »

Exeter have signed Schonert for next season. He would've been absolutely perfect for Wasps, Exeter are just being greedy.

Aren't Exeter also linked with Beno Obano?

MarleyWasp

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2021, 09:31:17 AM »
Obano is a loosehead, Schonert is a tighthead

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2021, 10:26:30 AM »

My bad, but I swear I heard that rumour

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2021, 12:45:06 PM »

Apparently a very strong rumour. Schonert to replace Francis at TH to support Williams and Obano coming in LH , possibly to replace Moon but also likely to be simply in addition to Moon as Hepburn as well as young prospects like Keast, Petch and Street.
They are very well stocked in the front five indeed

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2021, 03:09:32 PM »

Apparently a very strong rumour. Schonert to replace Francis at TH to support Williams and Obano coming in LH , possibly to replace Moon but also likely to be simply in addition to Moon as Hepburn as well as young prospects like Keast, Petch and Street.
They are very well stocked in the front five indeed

Baxter always has a very strong contingent of mobile front row players in his squad. Without them, his game philosophy falls apart.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2021, 03:10:15 PM »
Should there not be a limit on that- in that eventually their front five gets so stocked that players move elsewhere to be first choice and get more £££££, as the cap bites in. Obviously the cap does not bite if you cheat, as Sarries did, but in theory no one team should be able to hoover up all the talent, and they must be getting close to losing some of that talent.

Regarding the saffer contingents, we don't hear much about EQP nowadays- but surely that kicks in? Looking at Sale in particular, you do wonder if it is to English rugby's benefit to allow things to develop as they have been.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2021, 03:27:29 PM »
Should there not be a limit on that- in that eventually their front five gets so stocked that players move elsewhere to be first choice and get more £££££, as the cap bites in. Obviously the cap does not bite if you cheat, as Sarries did, but in theory no one team should be able to hoover up all the talent, and they must be getting close to losing some of that talent.

Regarding the saffer contingents, we don't hear much about EQP nowadays- but surely that kicks in? Looking at Sale in particular, you do wonder if it is to English rugby's benefit to allow things to develop as they have been.

An article recently indicated that the EQP payments were reduced and that certain clubs felt the financial incentive wasn’t enough now compared to gaining success.

Guess they are hoping to get better sponsorship , larger attendances or prize money to cover.

Presume EQP payments don’t offset salary cap in same way as England international payts do

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2021, 03:41:52 PM »
I think it's precisely the way the English game is structured that leads to it. A quality SA import is preferable to a lot of teams than a probably higher paid domestic international who won't play for you for a fair chunk due to international training camps/games/enforced rest periods. We've seen it here in that even promising academy products can be denied you in order that they can have a couple of weeks having lunch with senior internationals. Why wouldn't you go for a cheaper option that you'll get to use more?