Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Covid Passport - In Trepidation  (Read 4272 times)

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Covid Passport - In Trepidation
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 02:51:55 PM »
Just like I'm keen to get my second jab (hopefully on Friday although I haven't got an invite yet)
I'm also keen to get a CP, if only so that I can prove, if asked, that I present almost no risk of spreading COViD.

I thought getting a vaccine reduced your risk of getting sick, lowered severity of symptoms. I have seen nothing that says it stops an individual being a carrier or spreading the disease.

The Israelis did report at the end of February that the Pfizer vaccine was resulting in a reduction in transmission, not sure if this has been confirmed or not since.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-israel-vaccine-int-idUSKBN2AJ08J

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 02:59:39 PM »
I find it hard to swallow that so many people are against the COVID passports because they are worried that the Government might know somethings about them, when they are happy enough to let ther likes of Facebook, Amazon, Google etc. know even more about them without blinking an eyelid.

bournender2

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 03:06:45 PM »
Was planning a minibus group to the new Brentford stadium on June 5th for our game (We are local to AP), as BT keep bigging up the stadium and we normally went to the Majedski for our games.
Realised there was a potential falling over because of the amount of tickets that would be on sale and their availability. Think I know enough season ticket holders to hopefully get the amount needed though through Wasps if not openly on sale through their ticket office?

Then they suggest you need CPs to attend. Well sorry, I won't be going to Cinemas, Theatres, Stadia or anywhere else that needs electronic CP. I can find other ways to spend £.

(Will have had the 2 jabs by then)

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2021, 03:10:36 PM »
Lwasp,
My understanding is that vaccination substantially reduces my viral load, were I to get the virus, and therefore significantly reduces my ability to pass it on to others.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2021, 03:17:33 PM »
No problem with having a CP ,but can see problems with just a paper one, especially if it requires a new one on a regular basis to keep updated for possible annual top ups etc. Also phones could be problematic for people without appropriate technology.
 Is the intention to inoculate children ? So a Guardian could have 2 or 3 different codes on a phone when family goes to restaurant or on holiday. Then how would it work if grandparents are taking g kids out. Card would be much simpler.

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2021, 03:33:31 PM »
It's a difficult one to discuss because the UK has such a diverse range of individuals within their own rights to choose how they operate. When we rolled out the NHS COVID-19 App, we really struggled due to the following reasons

- Numerous individuals not downloading/not having access to a mobile to download the App

- Media/one off tweeters claiming big business/government wanted their data when realistically it wasn't that but Media loves the hype

- The Tech wasn't ready. These apps take years to make, let alone perfect.

Having been part of the COVID-19 Programme, it was hard enough as it was at times to coordinate across the board (getting tests done, providing facilities with equipment/tests/resources) and to add digital transformation perfection is seriously difficult on top of that.

I'm more than happy to sign up as realistically, if you trust a company (apple, tesco, amazon, even wasps) with your details/personal info, will trusting the government be that bad? If COVID passports get us up and running then fantastic but realistically there will be a significant percentage who either won't have one, won't want one or won't care and that will undermine the whole plan.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2021, 03:36:58 PM »
My phone is just a phone. It doesn't do apps. Never had a smart phone and I don't want one - ever.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2021, 03:47:28 PM »
No problem with CP at all. It provides an avenue to normality without putting people at risk.

And yet whenever asked the Great British public shuns ID cards as an unwanted government intrusion on civil liberties. Take away their ability to go to the pub though......

I believe the countries have done best at keeping things under control, Israel and SIngapore for example, are those that have much more "control" of the information about their citizens. Even Australia, that for years has been criticised for its border control methods are now being congratulated for the way they have largely kept CoVid out. They'll be years of arguing about resultant government policy changes ahead.

I currently avoid those establishments in London that are obliged to scan copies of ID for entry. Why would you want those semi-literate oafs on the door to have copies of your passport of driving license? It's a slippery slope once every establishment goes down this route to roll it back. That isn't back to normality. It's a data breach nightmare.
Depends on how much data is on it. We're not talking about driving licenses, ID cards or passports. Just a card saying you've had a vaccination. Let's be honest. Our data is out there in a myriad of ways we may never even know about or understand anyway.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2021, 04:13:57 PM »
No problem with having a CP ,but can see problems with just a paper one, especially if it requires a new one on a regular basis to keep updated for possible annual top ups etc. Also phones could be problematic for people without appropriate technology.
 Is the intention to inoculate children ? So a Guardian could have 2 or 3 different codes on a phone when family goes to restaurant or on holiday. Then how would it work if grandparents are taking g kids out. Card would be much simpler.

I think that too - you could also some sort of code, something like a bar code or QR code, that can be scanned at a venue to access a central database (which the person doing the scanning doesn't see - they just see a tick or a cross depending on whether you meet the criteria or not) which is kept up to date with vaccinations so you  never need to worry about updating your card if annual boosters become a thing.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2021, 04:34:05 PM »
Just like I'm keen to get my second jab (hopefully on Friday although I haven't got an invite yet).

John - AP is doing AZ on Friday. Which practice are you registered with? If you are registered with any of Millbarn, Simpson, Cherrymead, BEWGMC and Highfied you should have been contacted. If not, ring them.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2021, 04:37:24 PM »
CP every time. I don't care if it digital, paper or a tablet of stone - I want one!

Might be mandatory by the time that I am actually permitted to return to chez nous.

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2021, 05:21:27 PM »
Heathen,
I took my wife (who's somewhat older than me) to AP for her first jab on the very snowy day in late Jan. There had been many no-shows that day and they agreed to jab me then rather than waste any. I'm hoping I can do the same again this Friday. I'll try and ring the Simpson Centre to ask formally.
Thanks for the advice John.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2021, 06:11:36 PM »
Just like I'm keen to get my second jab (hopefully on Friday although I haven't got an invite yet)
I'm also keen to get a CP, if only so that I can prove, if asked, that I present almost no risk of spreading COViD.

I thought getting a vaccine reduced your risk of getting sick, lowered severity of symptoms. I have seen nothing that says it stops an individual being a carrier or spreading the disease.

I believe the CDC announced recently that all initial signs from vaccinated people showed no signs of infection, or transfer of infection.

However they did stress test it's only initial findings given that they presumably need time to test more people after they've been jabbed

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2021, 10:26:56 PM »
It is a bit up in the air on child vaccination.
Also we are still not exactly certain of transmissability of the virus over time amongst the vaccinated wrt all the various vaccines and currently known variants. We have initial reports as people have said, but the picture is still in its infancy.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2021, 08:50:28 AM »
I just think the practicalities are going to prove to difficult.  The AZ vaccine only has a 30% protection against transmission and 10% against the South African virus.  The Pfizer and Moderna ones are far more effective, and Novavax is supposed to be good too.  So do you have a passport that gives Pfizer / Moderna / Novavax more credit than AZ?  What about when a variant that defeats say the Moderna vaccine? Does that get taken off the passport? What about annual boosters? Does everybody loose their rights of entry until the jab is done?  How do you update paper passports?  I just think given the ability of various governments to do IT projects and all the complexities it will prove too difficult.

For international travel, that's different and I think will be driven internationally and I can see that there will be a consensus that you will need an xxx vaccine and boosters to be able to travel to various countries. In time you will be able to pay for these at a pharmacy or GP and that will become part of the cost of travel.