Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Just in case EA don't win promotion.  (Read 2312 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Just in case EA don't win promotion.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 07:24:23 AM »
Super Rugby here we come.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 07:51:29 AM »
Are Ealing really a team of sufficient size? They have an average attendance of below 1000. It seems wholly artificial to me  surely the RFU should be looking to promote/expand the game in the north of the country, moving beyond the current two teams. The Midlands, South West and London are well stocked with top sides, it is short sighted not to think about spreading the game further north.

As for the EAs every option will be looked at to return them to the top division, regardless of whether they deserve it or not, which is disappointing but inevitable. I have no doubt Wray will be operating in the shadows to get the cheats back to the top tier.
It was fine when I left it.....

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 07:53:56 AM »
If Ealing join and this happens there's no way a promoted club in 24-25 would be in a state to maintain prem status anyway. It would be too big a gap to bridge to teams established for so long financially and playing wise. I can see the arguments for ring fencing but it will take some of the magic out of it all for me. You also have to feel for those left out - what do they aspire to?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 08:26:17 AM »
If Ealing join and this happens there's no way a promoted club in 24-25 would be in a state to maintain prem status anyway. It would be too big a gap to bridge to teams established for so long financially and playing wise. I can see the arguments for ring fencing but it will take some of the magic out of it all for me. You also have to feel for those left out - what do they aspire to?

Given that the owner of Pirates has said he will fund their new stadium if government funding falls through I would think there might be legal cases against just admitting Ealing. Also can't imagine one or two others sitting by eg Coventry.
Let me tell you something cucumber

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 08:57:25 AM »
Is this why they cut the funding to the championship?

MarleyWasp

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 09:38:41 AM »
The problem with Ealing in the Premiership is a question of where they play and who goes to watch them. Their ground is too small so they will likely need to rent a larger stadium, such as Loftus Road. Vallis Way is 3 miles as the crow flies from Brentford and five an a quarter miles from the Stoop. From Loftus Road it's two and three quarter miles to Brentford and 6.3 miles to the Stoop. Whether there are enough Rugby fans to adequately support three Premiership Clubs in such a small area is something I doubt.

Granted, Ealing's owner has £300m+ in the bank, but he is in his mid-80s. Whilst he may be content with a £30m layout and supporting a £10m loss every year for the rest of his life, I'm not sure the heir to his fortune will be too happy at the prospect.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 09:56:40 AM »
The Midlands, South West and London are well stocked with top sides, it is short sighted not to think about spreading the game further north.

As for the EAs every option will be looked at to return them to the top division, regardless of whether they deserve it or not

so on the one hand you are suggesting that a side should get promoted because they are from a specific area, not because they deserve it, but then complaining that Sarries may get promoted whether they deserve it or not?
seems slightly contradictory to me...

Any outcome that means that the side that wins the championship gets promoted (with the caveat of the rules around qualifying for promotion) will be wrong IMO, whether done for the best of reasons or not.
I am OK with promotion/relegation being suspended for a season or 2, but would be very wary of staying that way any longer.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 09:57:44 AM »
What about Doncaster? Are they targeting the Premiership? If the top two come up this season, it could be them and Ealing. After all, they recently beat Pirates — something that the EAs famously failed to do.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 09:58:51 AM »
and to add, I would be VERY surprised if Sarries don't get promoted, they just have to finish in the top 4 to be in the play offs, then can roll out their big guns for knock out rugby which you can't really see them losing. tyhey are currently, I think, 4th with a game in hand

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 10:07:36 AM »
I wonder what BT are thinking about continued "Ring Fencing". They indicated they would wear one season only based on Covid and threatened court action based on the fact that this was not mentioned as possible in the contract discussions a couple of months before.
Let me tell you something cucumber

MarleyWasp

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 10:25:48 AM »
and to add, I would be VERY surprised if Sarries don't get promoted, they just have to finish in the top 4 to be in the play offs, then can roll out their big guns for knock out rugby which you can't really see them losing. tyhey are currently, I think, 4th with a game in hand

I hope they think that, because it's the top 2 teams going into a home and away two-legged final to decide promotion.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 10:34:54 AM »
I hope they think that, because it's the top 2 teams going into a home and away two-legged final to decide promotion.

is it really? just goes to show, don't believe what people say on the Internet  :D

Even if its top 2 I still can't really see sarries not finishing top of the pile, much as I would love to see them floundering in the championship!

MarleyWasp

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 10:43:13 AM »
Looking at the table, I can see Ealing pipping them to top spot if they score 4 tries when they play Saracens, but Doncaster's challenge will fade I fear.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 11:20:19 AM »
For clubs and particularly owners in the premiership given the recent financial climate I can see this makes sense, but only if Championship clubs are appropriately encouraged, supported and funded to be in a position to apply / compete for a place at the end of the closed door period.