Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Just in case EA don't win promotion.  (Read 2315 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: Just in case EA don't win promotion.
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2021, 12:04:02 PM »
The Midlands, South West and London are well stocked with top sides, it is short sighted not to think about spreading the game further north.

As for the EAs every option will be looked at to return them to the top division, regardless of whether they deserve it or not

so on the one hand you are suggesting that a side should get promoted because they are from a specific area, not because they deserve it, but then complaining that Sarries may get promoted whether they deserve it or not?
seems slightly contradictory to me...

Any outcome that means that the side that wins the championship gets promoted (with the caveat of the rules around qualifying for promotion) will be wrong IMO, whether done for the best of reasons or not.
I am OK with promotion/relegation being suspended for a season or 2, but would be very wary of staying that way any longer.

I am not suggesting that, what I am saying is that people/the press are suggesting that Ealing is a natural choice for elevation and they can 'buy' their way in, my thoughts are that the game needs more Northern clubs and the RFU/PRL should be considering that if a club was allowed to purchase a place (not that I agree with buying in). With regard to The EAs, even if they don't win promotion outright, I am sure a way will be found to return them to the top flight, they are a tainted brand but the higher echelons of the game want them back in the top tier, sad but true.
It was fine when I left it.....

MarleyWasp

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2021, 12:46:00 PM »
For clubs and particularly owners in the premiership given the recent financial climate I can see this makes sense, but only if Championship clubs are appropriately encouraged, supported and funded to be in a position to apply / compete for a place at the end of the closed door period.

Agreed. Whilst I'd hate to see the Premiership become a closed shop, there's no denying that London Welsh's stint in the Premiership was a disaster that lead to them losing their place in the National Leagues and people losing money as a result. it would be irresponsible to let other fine clubs ruin themselves the same way.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 12:59:57 PM »
Fair enough RBB, however I don't think anyone would be talking up Ealings chances of being added to the prem if they were bottom of the table...

As for sarries, much as it hurts me, they will deserve to get back to the prem if they win it by right. Other than that they shouldn't be "helped" back in, but expanding the prem & allowing top 2 to come up may allow it to happen...

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 01:18:12 PM »
For clubs and particularly owners in the premiership given the recent financial climate I can see this makes sense, but only if Championship clubs are appropriately encouraged, supported and funded to be in a position to apply / compete for a place at the end of the closed door period.

Agreed. Whilst I'd hate to see the Premiership become a closed shop, there's no denying that London Welsh's stint in the Premiership was a disaster that lead to them losing their place in the National Leagues and people losing money as a result. it would be irresponsible to let other fine clubs ruin themselves the same way.

This.  Were no lessons learned from London Welsh's demise not so long ago?  As pointed out earlier in the thread, Ealing are way short of a Premiership standard ground so would have to rent a stadium somewhere, and anywhere that would still allow them to identify as "Ealing" would pitch them directly against 2 established Premiership teams in the same immediate area.  Where else?  Reading?  Oxford?  Both have already been tried and not with great success.  East London?  Locals would be unlikely to feel any strong affinity to a club identifying with a West London borough.  They would lose money hand over fist and be playing to sparse crowds rattling around in an expensive stadium, and almost certainly enjoying very little success on the pitch which in turn does little to attract fans, sponsors, players or coaches.  How can this possibly be sustainable?  I am all for promotion and relegation on merit, but not at all costs.  The brutal reality is that there are very few clubs below the Premiership that have sufficient existing fan base and/or a geographical reach to attract new fans that aren't already emotionally tied to an existing Premiership club.