Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Brad Shields  (Read 4604 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Brad Shields
« on: November 18, 2017, 08:25:49 AM »
According to reports he's coming to us in order to try to break into the England squad.

I'm a little torn to be honest, yes he's a great player with a  huge amount of potential, but not only does that mean we're likely losing one of out first choice back row (My money is on both Jones and Hasks, but possibly also Youngyoung) but the last time we signed a freak talent who had turned down the All Blacks it didn't work out the way we hoped (Leiua).

Time will tell I guess.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Brad Shields
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 08:46:35 AM »
YY only recently extended his contract. Rieder has re-signed. I think Ash will now be focussed on hooker, as age creeps up on him. Hask and Jones are the two most likely, but we have Willis up and coming. How long has Guy or Nathan got on their contracts? Dai knows what is going on, we don't. Down under the buzz is that Brad has told folk he has actually signed on the dotted line, as opposed to the rumours from 10/11 days ago. EQP as well, so Robshaw better watch out!!

Brad must like playing in yellow and black (the 'Canes colours)!!

Jones was officially on our 'injured list' this week in the team news. He has not always appeared on that, previously with the hint/suggestion that he was no longer injured but getting ready to play again. I really hope that the injuries from last year will not end his career, as that would be so sad for him. I know personally what it is like to be told you are fit to play again by the medicos and trainers, to find the pain back after just 20 minutes under full game strain. As a young amateur, I was gutted to be told by my doctor that I would not play rugby again, because it was the centre of my life at the time (18). For Sam it would be so much harder as it is his profession.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 07:14:12 PM »
Signed and announced on Wasps Website and Twitter. Nice one nut wonder who it is in place of.
Let me tell you something cucumber

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 09:47:18 PM »
I'm not entirely convinced that it has to be in place of anyone.
People may say that we're well stacked in the back row, but international call ups, injuries and loss of form are all things that will happen throughout a season.

At the very least, I assume it means that we won't be extending Carr's contract.
However, if Haskell is willing to accept a pay cut and accept not being first choice all the time, then I don't think that we have to lose anyone from a squad depth perspective.

It may look different from a salary cap perspective though

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 10:43:00 PM »
Does anyone know if Eddie tapped him up before Wasps were interested? If so, its not the way I think England should be doing business.

As for Wasps, looks like the sort of signing to provide our backs with the opportunities to beat the best, so great!

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 08:13:32 AM »
Does anyone know if Eddie tapped him up before Wasps were interested? If so, its not the way I think England should be doing business.

As for Wasps, looks like the sort of signing to provide our backs with the opportunities to beat the best, so great!

It is hinted at that some form of unofficial approach was made (my guess would be by the England camp) a few months ago, along the lines of, 'We could do with finding a younger but experienced player at 6/8 for next year's AIs. Do you realise that if you signed for an English side, there is a really good chance you would be that player?' Type of thing. It has also been hinted at that 3 sides looked at him (Saints, Wasps and Sarries), but he narrowed that down to Wasps or Sarries. In the end, he chose Wasps, at a hinted cost of £350k/year. All inuendo, but the sort of thing I can see EJ having a finger in. We have all worked out that if your physique and style of play is what EJ wants, you are in, regardless of the fact that other players do not quite fit, for whatever reason, like Wade or Robson.

All this is speculation, other than he has signed. He has sort of closed the NZ club level door as well. They are not overly willing to accept back those who leave for money, fame or whatever.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 09:15:24 AM »
It's also been clearly said that he's not been contacted by England.  My guess is that he knew he was EQP, and his agent knew that was worth something.  Wouldn't surprise me if he/his agent made a few more moves during the Lions tour.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 03:38:49 PM »
It's also been clearly said that he's not been contacted by England.  My guess is that he knew he was EQP, and his agent knew that was worth something.  Wouldn't surprise me if he/his agent made a few more moves during the Lions tour.

Oh, ok, I missed anyone saying that. Where was that? I'm happy he is coming to Wasps, I just don't like trawling for players.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 08:42:40 PM »

I think I recall reading the PR put out by England Rugby (or quotes of their reply). I thought it said that no official contact had been made by England Rugby with Brad Shields. I don't think it said that no person associated with England Rugby had talked to him or his agent, and I don't think it said that no contact had been initiated by him or his agent with England Rugby or anyone associated with England Rugby. It was worded in a way to suspect plausible deniability.

Whatever, the Lions tour seems a reasonable time for him to make contact of some sort. Would he have come into contact with any Lions/Wasps player in the game he played? Ah yes, James Haskell played in that game. Those two would have first bumped into each other when James played over there for the Highlanders in 2012.

Just saying.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 06:52:27 AM »
Definitely some chances for contact in the tour.  Funny that Shield could potentially be a replacement for Hask :D.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 10:02:36 AM »
He qualifies from a grand parent doesn't he? So if England didn't have a restriction on selecting overseas players he could already have picked up a few caps.

I think that's very different to players qualifying by residency, particularly when that residency was all when under a professional rugby contract (as opposed to children moving with family).

Whether qualification should go back to grandparents or stop at parents nationality is another matter.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 11:07:35 AM »
He qualifies from a grand parent doesn't he? So if England didn't have a restriction on selecting overseas players he could already have picked up a few caps.

I think that's very different to players qualifying by residency, particularly when that residency was all when under a professional rugby contract (as opposed to children moving with family).

Whether qualification should go back to grandparents or stop at parents nationality is another matter.

His parents are English.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 01:02:37 PM »
Even less of a complaint then! Hardly a CJ Stander or Hadleigh Parkes.