Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Friendly this Sunday  (Read 4627 times)

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly this Sunday
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2021, 12:13:56 PM »
That is a lot of youngsters getting part of a game. Based on those things don't look so dark.

I've seen reference to an Under 23s game?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2021, 12:40:08 PM »
That is a lot of youngsters getting part of a game. Based on those things don't look so dark.

I've seen reference to an Under 23s game?

Yes it was billed as such.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 09:35:01 PM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2021, 09:33:10 PM »
Positive response from Blackett:

“...a couple of the young guys there that were playing have come up in selection thoughts this week."

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-rugby-lee-blackett-bath-20439445

Excluding Willis, Cardall, Atkinson, Porter & Curran (who’ve all made recent first team appearances) I wonder whether Blackett will actually pick any of the other young guys for the matchday 23 tomorrow or over the remaining fixtures of the season. On the one hand it’s an excellent opportunity to test the yougins at Prem level but on the other hand Blackett must be gunning for a top 6 finish (no matter the likelihood) to salvage something from this horrific season.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2021, 09:38:31 AM »
We had exactly the same problem under Dai. Young guys will do best if they are put into a team with experienced players that are playing well. But we are currently shite, which makes it so much harder to do. You have to question the value for the team, squad and club as a whole of us taking risks and continuing to lose/appearing that we've given up.

Between a rock and a hard place for sure. Personally I'd play Charlie as I think he's better than Umaga. I'd play T Willis as we've missed his energy and enthusiasm. I'd look to make get Curran involved too. But first and foremost we just have to win a game.

Damian68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2021, 01:30:29 PM »
We had exactly the same problem under Dai. Young guys will do best if they are put into a team with experienced players that are playing well. But we are currently shite, which makes it so much harder to do. You have to question the value for the team, squad and club as a whole of us taking risks and continuing to lose/appearing that we've given up.

Between a rock and a hard place for sure. Personally I'd play Charlie as I think he's better than Umaga. I'd play T Willis as we've missed his energy and enthusiasm. I'd look to make get Curran involved too. But first and foremost we just have to win a game.

I completely agree that younger players flourish when they are alongside their more experienced Peers. Almost every Prem club seems to have a cohesive plan for introducing their Academy prospects to senior matchday squads and starting line-ups with the apparent exception of ours and those Clubs that do are reaping the benefits of this managed, more pragmatic approach.

We, on the other hand, seem to adopt a rather arbitrary ‘sink or swim’ approach where we parachute youngsters in as a last resort when all attempts to persevere with established regulars over multiple matches have failed. This results in brief runs where certain young prospects appear for a few matches then vanish into obscurity when the poor performance of their more established Peers has been forgotten / forgiven – Cardall and to a lesser degree Atkinson are cases in point where, through no apparent performance reasons, they are replaced by the legacy players they previously replaced. In a winning team this may be justified but in a team that’s struggling to win it is less justifiable and in a season where there is no danger of relegation even less so! We have already seen the impact of this ‘sink or swim’ approach on the psyche of our young players where the impact on their confidence and self-esteem is impacted and takes them months to recover from – Umaga? We should be taking advantage of the ‘security’ we have within the Prem at the moment to adopt a more cohesive approach to the insertion of our youngsters into Prem matchday set-ups that looks balancing current performances with our future success.

Owing to Covid our Academy and less played Seniors have had very little opportunity to show what they can do but when they are given the opportunity to show what they can do such as last Sunday’s match against London Irish A’s (who featured Waisake Naholo) what message does it send the likes of Callum Sirker who has not played in a Wasps shirt for 18 months with his last outing prior to his injury being when he scored against the EAs in the Cup competition only to make his comeback in a Wasps shirt last Sunday and score a hattrick? Sirker has an average of nearly 3 tries per game for the Club and still can’t appear to get a look in? It’s not as if our established wingers have shown any sign of being able to create opportunities themselves so why are we not giving him minutes to see if he can do what he’s done in every previous outing and settings in a Wasps premiership starting line-up?

I have actually seen the matchday footage from Sunday that was sent by a friend of mine that has a Son that plays in the London Irish Academy and Sirker actually looks bigger and faster than he did prior to his ACL injury which, to those of you that have seen him play in the ‘A’ league, might seem incredible as he was lightning fast back then. His 3 tries were also excellent with two of them being solo efforts from 50 metres out respectively and the 3rd try being a relatively simple run-in also from around 50 metres out. Curran was also excellent from what I saw.

I will try and figure out a way of sharing some of the London Irish A footage with you all so you can judge for yourselves.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 01:37:43 PM by Damian68 »

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2021, 02:09:52 PM »
Atkinson has 12 appearances for the first team in his first year out of school. I'm not sure he's the great example of poor policy you think he is. For young players there's a huge amount to be said for easing them in slowly, given the physical punishment the league inflicts. Curran likewise has only just come back from long-term injury.

As for Sirker, great to hear that he is improving. But you have to ask why he hasn't gotten a game at Championship level. But even given that, who out of Josh, Paolo or Zach would you drop for him?

Damian68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2021, 02:31:26 PM »
Atkinson has 12 appearances for the first team in his first year out of school. I'm not sure he's the great example of poor policy you think he is. For young players there's a huge amount to be said for easing them in slowly, given the physical punishment the league inflicts. Curran likewise has only just come back from long-term injury.

As for Sirker, great to hear that he is improving. But you have to ask why he hasn't gotten a game at Championship level. But even given that, who out of Josh, Paolo or Zach would you drop for him?

I'm not talking about Atkinson's number of appearances but the apparent arbitrary nature which results in him featuring then disappearing contrary to his performances. Same for Curran.

With regard to Sirker, he featured in Cov's preseason friendlies (1.5 matches) after more than 500 days of not playing any competitive rugby at all. He then sustained an ankle knock which prevented him playing at the start of the Champ. He is clearly back from that knock but I would hope his omission from Cov's starting 15 tomorrow against Hartpury has something to do with Wasps having plans for him in the near future given that he's demonstrated his class against Irish - I would really hope that's the case but, in the absence of any cohesive strategy for introducing new blood to the Wasps prem squad, perhaps my "hope" will be unfounded.

In answer to your question about who I would drop in preference for Sirker - Kibirige! How many tries has he scored this season and in what manner? What's he actually created for himself that isn't a run-in?? It would certainly make sense to at least try a player with a strike rate of around 3 tries / match in preference to a player with a strike rate closer to zero (especially given the prevailing, unique league circumstances that I referenced in my previous post).

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2021, 02:37:46 PM »

I'm not talking about Atkinson's number of appearances but the apparent arbitrary nature which results in him featuring then disappearing contrary to his performances. Same for Curran.

With regard to Sirker, he featured in Cov's preseason friendlies (1.5 matches) after more than 500 days of not playing any competitive rugby at all. He then sustained an ankle knock which prevented him playing at the start of the Champ. He is clearly back from that knock but I would hope his omission from Cov's starting 15 tomorrow against Hartpury has something to do with Wasps having plans for him in the near future given that he's demonstrated his class against Irish - I would really hope that's the case but, in the absence of any cohesive strategy for introducing new blood to the Wasps prem squad, perhaps my "hope" will be unfounded.

In answer to your question about who I would drop in preference for Sirker - Kibirige! How many tries has he scored this season and in what manner? What's he actually created for himself that isn't a run-in?? It would certainly make sense to at least try a player with a strike rate of around 3 tries / match in preference to a player with a strike rate closer to zero (especially given the prevailing, unique league circumstances that I referenced in my previous post).

Both Atkinson and Curran were apparently injured after their last appearances - for how long no idea. Sirker although scoring for us on Sunday is still with Cov I believe so would have to be recalled officially. I agree that should be easy for a player not featuring in their games.
Let me tell you something cucumber